Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 6:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« knocking »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   knocking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: knocking  (Read 2419 times)
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

knocking
« on: Jun 26th, 2007, 7:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.
Had the car M.O.T'd a couple of weeks ago (passed!) and practically since driving out of the station, have developed a knocking type sound under the car. Sort of sound you would associate with a loose exhaust mounting. Visited an exhaust centre last Sat and the chap put it up in the air and give the pipes a good shaking. He said that he could find nothing wrong. I've got no idea what it could be. Any thoughts?
Kind regards.
Trev.   Smiley    2.9 12 valve.
IP Logged
mrgraves

View Profile

Re: knocking
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 8:22pm »

i have this prob too drives me round the bend (well when the car is running thta is  Smiley )
IP Logged

2.0 8v ghia
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 9:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Front stabiliser bar bushes would be the most obvious, and very easy to fix too.

HERE

See Figure 4. These are the bushes. They wear, and even drop out. You do NOT need to remove the link arms to replace them, as they are a split bush which fits around the bar. Use some washing up liquid to lubricate them.  Always do both sides. Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 9:52pm »

something loose, radiator? oil cooler? prop?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 12:57am »

If the knocking seems to be coming from the front end & is a heavy metalic knock when driving straight, on uneven roads, then I'd agree with Spannerdemon on this one  Wink

The bushes or the part of the roll bar where they wrap around can get badly worn & the roll bar ends up knocking on the underneath of the front of the engine on uneven road surfaces  Smiley

If it happens more when turning the wheel when pulling out at a junction etc, then I'd say it was a wishbone balljoint  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 1:24am »

Make sure they've left nothing behind, my brother found a metal bar on a ledge under his car after an MOT.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 6:22pm »

Thanks for the advice chaps. Am taking the car to the guy who does the servicing for me on Sat and he's going to give it a run and see what he thinks. probably put it up on the hoist if he has time 'cos he's slotted me in to his busy schedule. Will pass on your suggestions. Thanks again.
Trev.   Smiley
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 7:58pm »

the anti roll bar link can knock a bit as well
IP Logged
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 10:48am »

Hi guys, strange this should come up at this point in time. I have also got a knocking sound...I put the car on the ramps at college this morning and apart from what has been mentioned here ( I wouldent recognise if it slapped me in the face) I had a goodly look at the exhaust, it being the exhaust it was born with. From what I could see, the exhaust is in fairly good nick, apart from the bit that leads into the cat heatshield doobry. The sleeve of the cat doobry seems almost paper thin and flakey. I am not loosing any power at all so I surmise that the cat itself must be OK.  
So, is this sleeve supposed to be like this, and if not can the cat be removed and reused with a new surround or is the whole thing gotta go  Sad
I have an inkling that the answer will be expensive if it is this sleeve is on the way out. If I have to get a new exhaust and a new cat, this will certainly put the tin lid on the car cos I know that the whole package will be over a grand and the memsahib will have a pink fit.
Its been going so well just of late...mostly motorway miles. She has clocked up 112 thou, and leaves most other cars as a dot in the rear view mirror. The 2.3 engine sounds sweet...your thoughts on this rattle would be most welcome gents.
Ferret Sad
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 10:58am »

hi there

are you talking about the flexi pipe?
http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_details.php?recordID=1108

replacement exhaust are at lot cheaper now.

hth
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:04am »

Quote:
If I have to get a new exhaust and a new cat, this will certainly put the tin lid on the car cos I know that the whole package will be over a grand
 Shocked  Shocked

You'll get it for a LOT less than that. Shame to part with the car just because the exhaust/cat needs replacing. After all, exhausts go on ALL cars.

Shop around. If you buy Genuine Ford, then yes, you'll pay through the nose, but there are plenty of aftermarket, and second hand ones around.  Wink
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:23am »

Hi SM, no not the flexi pipe, it is beyond that towards the engine. After the flexi pipe the exhaust is sleeved into the cat housing which looks a bit dodgy...
SD, I have had a phone around and cheapest that I could find was £300 from quickfit. I do believe that the 2.3 system is the same as the 2.0 or so I am told. But to be honest, the exhaust is not that bad but I am assuming that if the cat needed to be replaced then the whole system would probably need to be done as well or near as?
Ferret
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:32am »

hi there

that must be part of the cat. i've got one in my shed, so i'll take a photo of it later.

btw, my car has been cat-less for about 3 years now and the exhaust is still fine.

hth
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:35am »

Can you run the car without the cat and still pass an MOT?
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:48am »

QUICKFIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sharp intake of breath!!

They are
NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT
cheap.  Wink

Go shopping again, and consider asking other members for the parts you need.  

Not sure about the CAT and MOT, so will let someone else advise.  Wink I think you have to have it on for the test, but then you take it off again...till the next one... Grin

Some advice on this would probably be of interest to many of us!!  Wink  Wink
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:49am »

Re: The sleeve of the cat doobry seems almost paper thin and flakey. I am not loosing any power at all so I surmise that the cat itself must be OK.  

Cheesy

I think that what you describe is the heatshield part of the cat.  The actual cat body is made of pretty robust steel, it gets very hot during operation so it has a close fitting shroud round it, usually has some glass fibre padding in it to stop vibrations, it may look like the shrouding is wearing a bit thin, however the cat should still be ok underneath, (although an exhaust shop may tell you different (for the sake of another sale)) Angry  if you push some non inflamable material into the shroud part it should tighten it up and stop any rattling....

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:58am »

Would a juberlee clip do the trick or has there got to be some movement allowed between pipe and shroud?
BTW, this thread IS getting quite interesting regarding the de-cat idea, the throaty roar without the cat would be nice. Presumably if one was to de-cat for most of the year and re cat for the MOT, a length of pipe would have to be employed to make up the difference between the manifold and the flexi pipe?
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 12:02pm »

SD Ford want over £700 for a complete system and my local National Tyres want over £400. I dont like going to Quick fit, having had some bad experiences there but I would have thought that £300 was fair?  
Perhaps not? Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 1:00pm »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/scorpio_man/scorpio%20bits/DSCN01 97.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/scorpio_man/scorpio%20bits/DSCN01 98.jpg

hth

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 1:00pm »

on Jun 28th, 2007, 11:58am, ferretmobile wrote:
a length of pipe would have to be employed to make up the difference between the manifold and the flexi pipe?

Or use an old cat with the internals knocked out of it Wink

What a lot of old scrap you keep Andrew Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.