Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 4:24am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Various complaints »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Various complaints
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Various complaints  (Read 687 times)
royjenkins

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Various complaints
« on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all

I have a few problems:

a "wob wob" noise and the rolling resistance seems high. I suspect wheel bearings.

The temp. gauge is reading hotter then colder( midrange down to blue symbol and back to halfway between) . my flashing airbag symbol got better by itself and then this started - bad connection e.g. multiplug?

I am happy with the car but there seem to be silly problems for a high quality car like the scorpio and without wishing to open cans of worms do others feel the same?

Thanking you in anticipation

royjenkins
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Various complaints
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does  suggest that it MAY be a tight bearing, but don't discount a binding/broken brake pad or even a loose caliper or even something simply caught up and rubbing on the back of a wheel.  

Once had a guy who had this awful noise. Turned out to be the carcasse of a squirrel which had got caught in the brake disc shield. Nasty ending... Shocked  Once I'd dealt with it's nuts it was fine again.  ROFL  ROFL

Essentially, without pinning it to a particular wheel, it's guesswork, but I'd be jacking up each wheel in turn and giving it a good spin and a shake to do the diagnostics.

Quote:
there seem to be silly problems for a high quality car like the scorpio

In fairness Roy, virtually ALL the Scorpios are almost 10 years old now, or more. You're bound to get some small issues.

Tell me a car that has no problems after 10 years, and I'll buy it. I still feel tht my Scorpio represents HUGE value for what I paid for it (£1,000), and know that I wouldn't have got half the quality in any other car for that price.

Yes....things will go wrong. They will go wrong in any car of that age regardless of their quality. Even Rolls Royces, Aston Martins and Ferraris go wrong. That's why no car lasts forever. You decide when the vehicle is no longer economical to run, and that's it. Your choice as to whether to keep it or not.

But I'll bet you that it will cost more to go and find another car, tax and insure it, and put it on the road, than it will to fix a couple of niggling faults   Wink

So in answer to your question. No I don't feel the same.  

I certainly am not parting with mine. Cheesy
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 3:26pm »

Quote:
You decide when the vehicle is no longer economical to run, and that's it. Your choice as to whether to keep it or not.

Agree With Spannerdemon, this is why we have these cars now, we would have had to pay <£30 new and then there would have still been some problems.....

Long Live The SCORPIO...

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 12:52am »

No,  the problems I have had  are  no  worse  than  any other comparable car I've owned,    in  fact  ( touch wood )  at  93K miles  no  major components  have failed  on  me  yet, and  I'm  a  fussy   car owner, I like things to work well.

Drove my mates car recently, it pulled to the left, worse when braking, handbrake didn't work,  steering wheel off centre    ( a particular phobia of mine )  stiff   gas pedal,  slipping clutch,   in fact a right bloody  nightmare of a car, I mentioned these things to him, " seems  fine to me "   he intoned.  

I couldn't live with a car like that,  I'd have to fix these things , it would drive me mad, I'm not a perfectionist, but I  like my car to operate safely and  legally.
IP Logged
pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:11am »

Agree
I have the same problem. The possible cost of sorting the ABS problem worries me but the car is otherwise pretty immaculate for its year. Scrapping it is not an option and even if the repairs were to cost £300-£400, what else are you going to get for that sort of money?
Certainly nothing as good.
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:33am »

Sorry Roy - didn't mean to be facetious. Depends how advanced it is. If it's gone through or the area is weak, then it needs welding. If it is just surface rust then painting it with old engine oil or Waxoyl should do the trick.
IP Logged

pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:39am »

Oops. Please ignore last posting. Replied to wrong topic Embarassed
IP Logged

royjenkins

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 11:55am »

Message from Mrs Roy - Thanks for the messages - I've been telling him for months that  the car is brilliant and at 10 years it's bound to have lots of little problems.  Smiley Wink Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That's it!!   Agree  Well said that lady.

Keep him under that thumb Mrs Roy!!  

Even better.....nick his keys!  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL

IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 6:55pm »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:17pm, royjenkins wrote:
I am happy with the car but there seem to be silly problems for a high quality car like the scorpio and without wishing to open cans of worms do others feel the same?

I feel I have a nice comfortable high quality car with all the widgets to make driving it a pleasure. Any car will give trouble, even new ones straight off the line. The Scorp is a very complex car and the more there is, the more there is to go wrong.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.