Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cossie troubles »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cossie troubles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cossie troubles  (Read 1816 times)
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

Cossie troubles
« on: Jul 17th, 2007, 12:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there

I finally managed to take the cossie from my mechanic....it was a nightmare. As you remember i had a very nasty timing rattle and broken sprockets. Well now it has new timing chains, sprockets, tensioner, blades, gaskets etc. I had some electrical problems as well, it turned out that the auto box wasn't connected properly. Now it is running but has some trouble. It doesn't idle nice. It shakes and splutters. Sometime for a second or two it goes ok, other times the engine just dies. The same happens in P, N, or D. When i select D the car tends to pull away in the same splutter like the engine does. If i rev the engine over 1200-1400 rpm the shaking goes away.

I have an borrowed OBD2 lead, and it doesn't show any error codes. Can anyone give me some advice.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Cossie troubles
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 12:38pm »

I had a similar problem on my 2.3, worse in cold weather. Would cough & splutter, & when putting it in drive or reverse the engine felt as though it was going to shake itself out of the car..... After 3 or 4 starts it would be okay again.

I replaced the IACV & that seemed to cure the problem  Smiley
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 7:07pm »

are the cam sprockets all lined up,any air leaks,injectors pluged up in the correct order,plug leads on right,or take it back to mechanic
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 5:00pm »

For starters i'll check, and double check the vacuum hoses, spark plugs, leads....basic stuff.

I hope that the "smart" mechanic of mine did managed to set the timing correct.
IP Logged

solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 9:05pm »

did nt you say to me in pm that you got new sprockets but not complete set
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 9:32pm »

Huh  hmmm i think i messed up the PM's  Grin

I ordered 2 sets of left sprockets and then took them to a metal workshop and they have adapted a set to the right side. The sprockets (left and right) are exactly the same but they have a bigger / smaller hole to insert a metal piece. On the right ones i had to turn them backward and enlarge the hole, put the insert in and weld it.

Sorry that i couldn't take picture but this "work" was did by my mechanic. At least i could see the sprockets before they where put in the engine, and they were ok. As for the lock washers they are new and if i remember correctly they all where stamped with 95 on them.
IP Logged

solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 10:02pm »

did the timing lines match the old ones when adapted?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 12:21am »

Well, might be better to start with the simple things first before you jump in the deep end and start wondering about the work he did.

If it's anything like the Jag, excess air (vacuum leak) will make it idle like a bag of spanners and hesitate at low RPMs, start by checking the inlet plumbing. Then idle valve, coils perhaps.

Maybe just a symptom of being laid up for a few weeks? Have you given it a good run? I know from experience that injectors don't take kindly to being left, even for a month or so.

Sounds like it could be a dead coil to me, surely bad timing would make it miss at higher revs? Undecided

Hope this helps.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 6:39am »

The new adapted sprockets are identical to the old ones. The same marks, same teeth, etc.  The car stood dismantled more than 2 month. I did run the car for about 100 km.
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 2:16pm »

Hi there, couldn't check the car at all, the climate here went crazy. At this moment the temp outside is 43 degrees centigrade at the shade. In the town the temperature is 50 C and at the sun ....it simply .... terrifying.

I want to ask you another thing, let's say if the timing has a slight misalignment, will it hurt the engine if i go on a trip with it ? I ask this silly question because i had a similar problem when i bought the car, and at that time both of the oxygen sensors where not switching. After a 300 km trip and some excessive speeding, all returned to normal. I believe this has to do with the 1 year in which the car has been unmoved. I also consider of pouring in some injector cleaner and some octane booster.
IP Logged

Tobbe

4.1 litre 24v BOB

150118665 150118665    
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 3:37pm »

on Jul 18th, 2007, 9:32pm, Octavian_P wrote:
Huh  hmmm i think i messed up the PM's  Grin

I ordered 2 sets of left sprockets and then took them to a metal workshop and they have adapted a set to the right side. The sprockets (left and right) are exactly the same but they have a bigger / smaller hole to insert a metal piece. On the right ones i had to turn them backward and enlarge the hole, put the insert in and weld it.

Sorry that i couldn't take picture but this "work" was did by my mechanic. At least i could see the sprockets before they where put in the engine, and they were ok. As for the lock washers they are new and if i remember correctly they all where stamped with 95 on them.

I got a picture for you, but I did it in another way....  

Also notice the countersink on the centre whole, this does also differ from lhs the rhs...
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 8:18pm »

Hi there

Nice pics, so i'm not the only one which had this problem. I didn't do the small sinks in mine....i hope that this isn't the problem.... Undecided

I have run an OBD check again in this evening, no codes found, no enhanced codes. So from electronically part of the view it seems ok.

Here are some pictures with the scans. I'm not to good at reading all those short term / long term fuel trims. The RPM varies from 690 to 760

IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 9:02pm »

hi there

bank 1 is running a bit rich (-13.3%)

bank 2 is very lean (23.4%) and is about to give an error code at +25%.

i'd disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to reset everything, then try again.

hth
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 6:35am »

Thanks for the translation. When i started the engine the longft 2 was 24 %. Tonight i'll do the battery disconnect.
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 9:44am »

OK, did the battery disconnect, check the vacuum hoses, checked / cleaned spark plugs / leads. (adjusted the gap to 1.0 mm). Also i have checked again plugs from the MAF, IACV, TPS, cleaned with contact cleaner. Still no joy engine runs still bad. I ruled out that the IACV is OK, because if i pres the accelerator the engine doesn't run smooth not even at 1200 rpm, it still shakes a bit. Another annoying thing is that when i select revers the engine dies, or if i brake suddenly the same things happens. The worst of it is to lose power steering and brakes...when coming around a corner... Lips Sealed

I still have the OBD2 lead but don't know at what to look further.
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 8:11am »

Hi there, managed to scan the beast again. The LONGFT1 is now ok, only 3-4 % maximum. But the LONGFT2 is 25 %, but when i press and hold steady the accelerator (around 2.000 rpm) it shows only slight corrections like 2-3 %. Also if i select D, press the brake pedal and slight accelerate. Even with the rev counter under 1.000 rpm the engine goes nice, no more splutter, no dieing etc. Could it still be the timing in this case ?
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 8:42am »

LOOK FOR AIR / VACUUM LEAKS. EGR VERY SUSPECT.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 9:28am »

Hi, ditto with Martin. It could be (just theory) a vacuum leak is leaning the mixture (hence the roughness and fuel trims) and when you press the throttle it enriches the mixture, even though the revs are low.

Google inlet manifold leak or something, it should give you some more info Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 12:35pm »

My dear (sold) cossie engine gave me a lot of headeache due to leaks in EGR and in other vacuum hoses.
The most annoying one was the one that is almost impossible to get a hold of, it's behind the engine,
a little metallic tube that is connected into the passenger (left hand drive!) side exhaust manifold and
into the EGR. It was very loose and you could actually hear some exhaust gases escaping from there
when the engine was "idling". then one of the vacuum hoses had broken. The one that goes into
the plastic box which is mounted on the side of the aircon/heating system, in the engine compartment just under the windscreen.

This is next to the battery (left hand drive!). Also the vacuum pipe that provide vacuum for break
booster is prone the loosen. I have that in my -97 project car. (Well, it's hissing like a snake somewhere
inside the octogirl thingy too, but runs nicely. )  

Some more things to wonder bout for you Smiley
IP Logged

My cars are the best and the pigs and cows fly.
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 12:56pm »

Well in this week-end i'll arm myself till tooth with keys and wrenches and attack it.  

....wish me luck  Undecided
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.