Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« temp sensor / gauge »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   temp sensor / gauge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: temp sensor / gauge  (Read 599 times)
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

temp sensor / gauge
« on: Jul 25th, 2007, 12:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello again
Here we go.
The temp gauge on my scorp (dash) goes from cold to normal very often throughout journys.
When I mean cold I mean not even reading.
So where do I start ?
A new temp sensor pehaps? If so where the beep is the sensor at? How does it come off?
How much would I expect to pay and would it be worth having a second hand one? Or is this a common thing?
I have been on this site off and on for a wile now and ive not yet come across this.
Regards Derek
IP Logged

derekne
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: temp sensor / gauge
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 12:45am »

I've had two temp guage sensors go in the last year...the last one was a brand new Ford one that only lasted 4 months  Huh

So I'd say yes, I think they are prone to failure.

The sensor is in the T-stat housing on the inlet manifold. It's the one below the outlet hose to the matrix, with the square(ish) multiplug, as opposed to the ECT (behind it) that has the round multiplug  Smiley....I seem to remember it un-screws with a 22mm 'long' socket.

I bought one from FMD last week & it was a tad under £17.00  Smiley

If the temp drops on a run & goes back up when in town then I'd suspect the thermostat, but going from normal to cold & back up again for no apparent reason, then I'd suspect the temp guage sender  Smiley
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 7:56am »

Thanks for that very greatfull.
Regards
        Derek
IP Logged

derekne
Pikey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:21am »

Mine does this - I suspect the wiring more than the gauge itself. Maybe find the sensor and wiggle things around with someone watching the gauge before you replace it. £17 doesnt sound too bad though  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:05pm »

If you pull off the multiplug & short the two connections in it together then the temp guage should rise fully into the red & stay there until you remove the short. This should prove that the guage & wiring are fine  Smiley
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 9:41am »

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the multiplug itself. I was not at first certain I had fixed it, due to the intermitant nature of the problem - but now I am....

The multiplug is where all of the engine wiring connects to the rest of the car and is located on the drivers side inner wing. The two halves are held together by a single bolt through the centre, which faces you as you look down upon the plug. Undoing the bolt head, withdraws the plug from its socket. A squirt of WD40 or even better eletrical contact cleaner plus plugging and unplugging a few times should clean up the contacts.  

My one remaining problem is that the needle of the gauge very occaisionally sticks on the pin stop - sorted by a gentle thump on top of the dash.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.