Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:17am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuse keeps blowing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fuse keeps blowing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuse keeps blowing  (Read 518 times)
baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Fuse keeps blowing
« on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, newbie here - please be gentle...

Here's my problem:

I was stuck in that horrendous M25 debacle on Friday so crawling for about 4.5 hours, aircon blasting. When I was nearly home, all the instruments lights went, the aircon went and I could not open the windows or the sunroof. The car was driving well (steering, brakes, indicators & lights all working)  so I continued home and made the stupid error of stopping at a shop 10 mins from home for milk. When I got back in the car it refused to start...

After investigation (used the fault finder on this site), discovered fuse 16 (electronics) had blown. When I replaced the fuse, all the instrument lights came back but as soon as I tried to start the car, the fuse blew again. I guess this is a short somewhere but I've no idea really where to start looking.

Any clues gratefully appreciated. I've had a search in this forum but haven't found anything so far so if there's a thread that might help me, please post the link.

Oh, and please, no jokes about women drivers, I think I've heard them all now Sad

edit: I probably ought to mention it's a 1997 Ultima, Auto
IP Logged

1997 Green 2.3 Scorpio Ultima Estate Auto
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Fuse keeps blowing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 11:25am »

That fuse is 7.5 amp. The ones controlling the Windows 25 and 26 are 30amp as is 28 which is for the sunroof. Try pulling those out and replacing 16. While you are at, in the other box, fuses35and 39 which control the air compressor and the fans, also 30 amps, could also be pulled. It's a shot in the dark but reading your post they seem to be the most likely suspects in view of your experience. IF the car starts with these removed then replacing each one in turn should identify the faulty circuit. Before you go removing all these make sure that the likely units ie: aircon etc are switched off as this may enable the car to start depending on the type of fault. Make sure you have more than one 7.5amp fuse!!. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 11:30am »

Thanks for the suggestions - have got 6 spare 7.5 amp fuses so off to have a go now. Will report back Smiley
IP Logged

baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 12:27pm »

Well, we pulled fuses 25, 26, and 39 (there was no fuse in 35). Replaced the F16 and this time it was different. No instrument lights came on but the fuse blew as soon as we turned the ignition switch to position 2 even before attempting to start the car. Replaced the pulled fuses (none were blown) but same - as soon as the ignition is turned to pos 2, the F16 blows. I'm down to 2 spare 7.5amp fuses now Smiley, good job Halfords is close!

Came home for a cuppa and a re-read to discover we'd forgotten about F28. Will go back after drinking tea and try that one just in case.

If only we could get the car started, I could drive it home (which is about 1/2 a mile) and the investigations would be somewhat easier. I'm not looking forward to towing it much - our other car is a Ka with a missing towing eye!

If anyone has any more ideas before we go back in 10 mins or so, please post.
IP Logged

baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 1:33pm »

Well, we pulled every fuse that wasn't needed to get the car half a mile down the road but no joy - exactly the same - as soon as the ignition is switched to pos2, that F16 blows and the car won't start.

Sigh Sad
IP Logged

Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 1:56pm »

Hi Baglady

Is there water lying around in the fuse boxes. Well known culprit with sudden electrical problems  

Good luck

Alastair
IP Logged
baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 1:59pm »

No, no sign of any water or dampness in either fusebox.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 2:15pm »

Hi. I'm just looking through the diagrams, problem is that fuse feeds various circuits. My guess is that a hard short would be in the loom or one of the connectors somewhere, or in the fusebox as Alastair says. Fusebox and its multiplugs are the favourite for a short circuit.

Hope this helps Smiley.

EDIT: Fuse 16 feeds the instrument panel warning lights and provides the overdrive switch input to the powertrain control module (ECU) if this helps at all.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 4:15pm »

Gave up and am getting the car towed to a garage tomorrow morning. It's sadly not something I can fix so I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay. Sniff.

Thanks for all the ideas though, hopefully it won't be too expensive.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 5:23pm »

Probably just a simple short on the loom or fusebox somewhere, if the garage knows what they're doing it should be a simple job.

Maybe an auto-electrician would be better? Undecided

Good luck, keep us posted Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
baglady

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:28am »

Well it did take a while but the car is finally fixed Smiley

Once the dashboard was off and the wires traced, they found a wire trapped by a screw that had rubbed and rubbed and finally worn through and shorted. We could see in the service history that there had been another electrical problem a couple of years back and we can only guess that whoever fixed it then trapped the wire when they put the dash back.
Once the wire was freed fron the screw and reinsulated, the car burst back into life and all was once again well.

So cost of fixing it was a couple of hours of investigation work but no parts needed.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.