Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:22am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Battery and heatting problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Battery and heatting problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Battery and heatting problems  (Read 407 times)
morphie

i wanner go fast

View Profile

Battery and heatting problems
« on: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys i brought a scorpio 2.9 cosworth a few months ago with the plan of taking the engine out and fitting to my sierra sapphire 4x4 as ive blown the 2 liter lump up, but after driving the car for a few days decided that it was to nice a car to rip apart, but now im having problems, the first one is the battery is not hold a charge over night, when i check the battery im getting a reading of between 7 to 9 volts, when the engine's runing im getting a reading of 13 volts, and when i turn the engine off im getting a reading of 12 volts, i know its not the battery as i took the sierra battery off and fitted that but im getting the same thing, so im at a lost, the other problem i have is the heatting system has completly packed up, i know the aircon needs regasing, but its using a lot of water, open road driving its fine, but in town the temp rises to the red very quick and then a fan kicks in, and with out a haynes bible im losted on what to do, hope you can shed some light guys as im losted
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Battery and heatting problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 10:12am »

test alternator,heater matrix may be blocked, thermostat u/s? what year is the cossie
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 10:46am »

There could be a drain on the battery when parked up overnight....boot courtesy light or glovebox light staying on ?

If it's using alot of water then there must be a leak. With the engine hot & at tickover, then a leak should be evident somewhere  Smiley

If the heater matrix is leaking then there will be coolant in the passenger/driver footwells accompanied by a 'curry' smell coming through the air vents.

The heater matrix may be blocked, but also if the coolant is low then the car will overheat but the heater will blow cold, because obviously there is no hot coolant running through the heater matrix  Smiley
IP Logged
morphie

i wanner go fast

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 11:14am »

the car is on a m reg 95, as for the heating it doesnt turn on at all, i turn the dial for the blowers nothing happens, but after ive been driving for a bit you can feel hot air coming from the vents, and the only leak i can see is from the overflow pipes from the header tank
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 11:26am »

Could be the actual blower switch on the control panel is defective or the thermal fuse/HBC may be defective.....

.....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acthermalfuse.htm

.....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/hbctest.htm

If the water is blowing out of the overflow, then obviously there is a pressure build up....pressure cap faulty, thermostat jammed shut, fan fault, water pump fault, blockage in system, airlock or the worst scenario being that the head gasket has gone  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.