Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« air con vent temperature »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   air con vent temperature
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: air con vent temperature  (Read 634 times)
pedropedro

View Profile

air con vent temperature
« on: Sep 4th, 2007, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am puzzled by the issue of vent temperatures...after regas and deep vac the best mine will do is 5-7  degrees  with an ambient of say 25 degrees. I thought that was on the high side but dont see how to improve..some folk here are saying they get vent temps down to -1....thought the deicer cut the pump when evap got down to zero ...and there was expected to be another 3 degreees picked up on way to vents

i dont  want to get into the override switch mod ..just would like to know why one person can get 2 degrees or better...maybe the blender leaks across...when i restart mine after a journey it blows out hot air for 20 secs...is that normal,,,any feedback would be appreciated

john
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: air con vent temperature
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 8:16am »

The vent temeperature is dependant on the outside ambient temeperature, as shown in the graph on the AC pages.... HERE

With regards the warm moist air after left standing . I experience that for a few seconds and it is due to the drier refreezing after defrsoting, and is quite normal IMHO.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 8:37am »

thanks for that ; I have been through that link but appreciate your passing it on.

It's just i would like to lower the vent temperature and i saw in the thread re 57 code on the climate control unit......petehull quoted -1c vent temperatures after a new comp/ drier

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:38am »

The drier receiver does eventually get to the stage where is is no longer effective and I suppose if it replaced then the system will work better. Perhaps consulation with a refrigeration engineer would give you more info.
IP Logged

pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 10:03am »

Yes will do that ...tks
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 1:31pm »

Hi Pedro

I did a check on my vents temps this lunchtime, this is a link to a photo of the results.

http://groups.msn.com/fordscorpio-co-uk/fordscorpioparts.msnw?action=Sho wPhoto&PhotoID=143

Note -4.3c

I am of the opinion that the aircon system should be considered as 2 seperate systems ie the refrigerant part involving the cooling components and the control part, all the electronic components of the auto climate control system.
I considered that if I changed the main components of the refrigerant side of it then the control side would be able to work correctly as I was haveing all sorts of problems.  I had interchanged components of my 10year old 2ltr car and had not been able to solve anything, it appears that I must have been barking up the wrong tree as the system runs fine now apart from on a really long journey when the fans are running but there is no cool air comming from the vents.  

I found that if I turn off the aircon for 10 mins or so it all goes back to normal.  Imo it could be that it is Too efficient and is freezing up the evaporator.  (if I did this while parked up there was a pool of water shortly after)

Anyway, I will sort that out one day, in the meantime I end up shivering as I drive home from work....

hth Pete

IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 2:25pm »

Hi Pete

thanks for going to the trouble of taking the picture and replying

I am very jealous of the low temp you are getting, but suspect for a minus 4c temperature the deicer switch may be caput or a mod has been fitted. when you lose air thats because the evaporator has frozen up....normally deicer switches are set to switch at zero for yours to get down to -3 the core/evaporator temp must be -7 i guess..anyway thanks for the info ..john
IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 3:16pm »

Yes john, that is my diagnosis too, I will get round to buying the switch new, 'cos again, I have second hand ones but I am beginning to not trust S/H electrics anymore....
May do the mod too as it looks to be a good simple project within my interest range....

pete
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 4:52pm »

I also suspect that your de ice switch is faulty or defunk if you get no air on a long drive then it DOES signify your evap is freezing up and THAT can be fatal for the whole system.

IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:22pm »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 4:52pm, Snoopy wrote:
I also suspect that your de ice switch is faulty or defunk,  ........ THAT can be fatal for the whole system.

Hi Snoopy,
Thanks for that, could you clarify the fatality due to overfreezing please.

Pete
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 11:29pm »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 9:22pm, peteHull wrote:

Hi Snoopy,
Thanks for that, could you clarify the fatality due to overfreezing please.

Pete

Tongue sticking to lips & eyeballs freezing over  ROFL
IP Logged
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 11:47pm »

The pollen filters also apear to have an affect on the temperature from the a/c. I changed mine last week and there was an appreciable drop in temperature from the vent. Of course it may just have been that the weather had cooled.
IP Logged

Jim
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 7:35am »

ITs all in the a/c pages about what happens whe the system freezes
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:02am »

on Sep 6th, 2007, 7:35am, Snoopy wrote:
ITs all in the a/c pages about what happens whe the system freezes

So is it safe? well the worse thing that can happen if you were to run things way too cold, which we don’t intend to and which the current mod is not capable of, is that the evap fins would freeze and air flow would reduce, and if that happens you would simply turn off the A/C and the ice would thaw and drain away. Don’t confuse this with frozen pipes etc, it is the external evaporator fins condensation that is freezing and not anything internal. Having asked this crucial safety question to over twelve A/C pros, every one of them says that even if everything freezes solid there is no problem with damage. However even saying that we do not intend to run anywhere near those levels which anyway results in blocked airflow which results in no cooling in the cab which defeats the object of the modification.  

This is the section I was reading.

I also have the manual from H.A.L in Doncaster where my son did the course for air conditioning, it says pretty much the same thing.

I will do some more experimenting when I have the time cos I enjoy the learning thing on these cars.... One of the reasons I value this site and everyones opinions.

Thanks again everyone and keep it comming... Cheesy
Pete
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:48am »

If the refrigerant starts to freeze then thats when problems can be caused . It can damage the compressor AFAIK and understand but I am sure that it would be most notceable
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 12:00pm »

hi there

re the above regarding running the system so cold it begins to freeze.

damage will occur if the system is ran too cold for too long. burst seals (mainly in the compressor), jammed expansion valve, very cold water around your feet if the drains aren't clear, etc. Shocked

it's all to do with the return pressure/temp. the temp pick up to the vents can be a lot more than 3oC. if you look at the a/c guys gauge, it shows what temp the return gas is at a given pressure.

the system was designed to run to about 4oC and then cycle the compressor. this setting works fine if you know how to use it.  

i take it most of the issue is how quickly it lowers the temp inside the car when you get in? have you got it on rec (it sometimes does this itself)? if it's on fresh air, you have to chill the 'new' fresh air over and over. if set to rec, it just chills the already chilled air in the car again, thus reducing the inside temp quicker. when the inside temp is more comfortable, then switch to fresh air.

another point is economy. running the compressor for extended periods uses for fuel.

hth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.