Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« electrics? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   electrics?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: electrics?  (Read 461 times)
tonyarnull

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

electrics?
« on: Sep 19th, 2007, 11:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I backed into something a few weeks ago and now while i am driving, the engine and all the electrics shut down, but when i stop and switch off the ignition, she starts up again and everything is fine. I have heard there is some sort of switch or sensor at the back that shuts off the fuel in the event of an accident.
 Anyone got any ideas or experiences with this problem?
Cheers  
Tony
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: electrics?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 12:17am »

Tony,

the switch is in the boot. It is a red switch sunken in a hole next to the boot catch. Check that it is making a good contact. You may want to try realising it and restting it again

Baz
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 12:41am »

The switch you're refering to is called the 'fuel shut off switch' & as far as I know it only shuts down the fuel pump, but does not affect the electrics...lights etc.

If the car is going completely dead (not running, no lights etc), then I'd start by checking that the battery connections are nice & tight & go from there  Wink
IP Logged
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 3:28pm »

I had a similar problem on a fiesta that i was putting a new back panel on. I stripped all wiring and trim ready for painting and tried to start it up to drive round to the paint shop. Turns out the earth wire that i thought was just for the rear lights is actually a major part of the electrical system and must be connected for anything to work. Don't know if scorps are the same but i suppose its worth a check to see how good your earth connection is? Undecided
IP Logged
tonyarnull

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 4:54pm »

Thanks for all the replys.
When i say all the electrics, i havnt actually checked all electrics stop working, but the rev counter and the speedo register 0 while i am actually moving.
 The earth wire on the fiesta is interesting as that would tie in with the wiring fault.
IP Logged
tonyarnull

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 7:57pm »

Hi evryone
This problem came to a head on friday,kept cutting out and then restarting after a while. so i had to get it recovered to a garage who then got an auto electrician in to sort it. It turned out to be the aux fuse box where the relay for the fuel pump goes, he managed to resolder the terminals as the original solder had failed.
cost £175. He also said that if the fuse box fails completely you cannot get a new one as they dont make them anymore. Thanks again for all your replys.
 Tony
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.