Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« NO HEATING 24V COSSIE Ultima - HELP! Brrrrrrrrr »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   NO HEATING 24V COSSIE Ultima - HELP! Brrrrrrrrr
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NO HEATING 24V COSSIE Ultima - HELP! Brrrrrrrrr  (Read 1491 times)
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

NO HEATING 24V COSSIE Ultima - HELP! Brrrrrrrrr
« on: Sep 27th, 2007, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, NEWBIE here, I have just bought a Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24V Ultima on an R plate.

Problem is I am freezing to death and winter's not here yet.  
I have has a buzz around most of the controls but feel I've missed something obvious.

Can anyone help me with a possible solution to my lack of heating inside the vehicle
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: NO HEATING 24V COSSIE Ultima - HELP! Brrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 8:49pm »

Hello and welcome Grin

Heater controls are fairly easy so i'm assuming you've turned the heat on ok Wink  
Is the blower fan running ok?

1. Check theres not an airlock in the heater pipes.
2. Check the heater pipes havent been bypassed or joined due to a leaking heater matrix (it takes a cowboy to know a cowboy) Wink
3. Blocked heater matrix? remove the hoses and flush it out
4. make sure the multiplug behind the heater controls hasnt come loose.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 9:50pm »

Thanx for your reply Highlander, are there any pics [relating to the heater matrix hoses etc] to assist my investigations on this site?
Cheers
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 10:39pm »

Heres the heater pipes going into the matrix through the bulkhead fig 10

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/interior/heater/HeaterAss.pdf

IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 7:25am »

First thngs first ... Before trying all of the above do a sysem reset on the heating/ coolin system which can be found HERE
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 11:49am »

Hi Snoopy- Already I am overwhelmed by the help and access to technical manuals etc on this site,
Before I commence my work on the rectification of the problems with my Cossie I would
like to start by making a first donation to this Ford Sorpio website of £10.00
Would you please advise me of the beneficiary name at PayPal so I can send some
cash.
Cheers and thanks. You can send the Paypal id to me privately if you would prefer
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 12:22pm »

on Sep 28th, 2007, 11:49am, grandadman wrote:
Hi Snoopy- Already I am overwhelmed by the help and access to technical manuals etc on this site,
Before I commence my work on the rectification of the problems with my Cossie I would
like to start by making a first donation to this Ford Sorpio website of £10.00
Would you please advise me of the beneficiary name at PayPal so I can send some
cash.
Cheers and thanks. You can send the Paypal id to me privately if you would prefer

hi there

just follow the paypal link at the top of the page (don't worry about the name bit Wink)

thanks for supporting the site. Smiley

andrew
forum admin team
IP Logged
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 9:30pm »

Hi everyone you no doubt aware of the old guy and his "I DON'T BELIEVE IT"  I am referring to Mr Victor Meldrew, well now I have just joined his clan and you won't believe this!!!
I bought this car about 10 days ago off eBay and I was told all engine fluids had been checked so, here we go...

I posted this query yesterday... "Hi everyone, NEWBIE here, I have just bought a Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24V Ultima on an R plate.  

Problem is I am freezing to death and winter's not here yet.  
I have has a buzz around most of the controls but feel I've missed something obvious.  

"something obvious" were the operative words I HAD!!!  

The car needed 7 litres of water after which the heat belted out - I have been lucky that I didn't lose the engine, having said that, the temp guage never at any time indicated there was an issue with coolant.

These cars are really marvellous Smiley

I have just got rid of my reliable Granny Scorpio M plate wherupon every day I just got in and drove it to wherever I wanted to go I had owned it for 2.5 years and looked after it so it made me a little complacent - I have now been woken up with a jolt and realise that other people dont care for their cars the way I have in the past!

A lesson learned  Embarassed and oh! thank you all for you input to my stupid dilemma  Wink
IP Logged
Robiko

Blue '96 (P) Scorpio Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 1:41am »

I have the same problem - Hi = cold; Lo = colder; a/c = colder still...thanks for the info Snoopy, I'll give it a try tomorrow, hopefully it will be that as I know there is heat coming through because occasionally I'll get a surprise blast of hot air before it reverts back to cold, and I'm loathe to start stripping the car this time of year to change the heater matrix...thank God for heated seats... Wink
IP Logged

She said "Me or the car" so I helped pack her bags
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Needed 7 litres of coolant  Shocked....it must have been empty & you're lucky you didn't blow something  Wink

...."the temp guage never at any time indicated there was an issue with coolant".... the temp guage will always read cold if there is no coolant in it, even if the engine is red hot. The temp guage sensor has to be emmersed in coolant to take a reading, so no water, no temp reading  Smiley

Glad it was an easy fix though, changing that heater matrix is not a job for the faint hearted  Smiley

IP Logged
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:48pm »

Thanks jonnycab - changing that heater matrix is not a job for the faint hearted - or an old Victor Meldrew character like me!

The fact that the guy sold me this car without water wants hanging up by his man parts!!
Seemed an intelligent guy, though THICK  Shocked
I checked the coolant level this morning and it hasn't budged from the re-fill level which is brill news - and there is no signs of rusty water escape around the front of the engine so I might have got away with it!
The reason this lack of water was highlighted was that I happened to call in to a garage to get a price for fixing the exhaust leak [which turns out to be the left side manifold gasket] and my friendly mechanic observed a lot of noise in the area of the water pump which led him on to check the water level. 7 litres of water later he said "I think you would be better off leaving the car here and getting a taxi home" After some little time it was descided that there wasn't any water being lost and I could carefully drive home and return next Tuesday to have a new water pump fitted - but I now know through this really good club and some internet research that the pump this guy will be supplied is for an older model scorpio QCP2672 [can one include jpeg pics in these replies??]
I have since found a Scorpio Cosworth water pump since!
I have also booked the car in for a 'health check' at my local Ford garage Jennings of Washington Tyne & Wear who have this car in their data base! -- to be continued...
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 11:52pm »

Good luck Grandadman & hope you get the cossie running nice  Wink

I can imagine your.... "A dont bil-ev-ett".... face, when you opened that bonnet & had a peek inside  ROFL
IP Logged
Robiko

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 5:00am »

Still no luck, reset the system and admittedly it's a little warmer than before, but only a little...(oh yes and I do have plenty of water in it Wink )...probably I'll reverse flush the whole system and see if I can clear some rubbish out of the matrix...
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 7:37am »

In reply to grandadmanYES you can post pictures attached to the posting but they must be no bigger than 640x480 PLEASE and instead of using the quick reply box use the reply on the bottom of the message and you get all the icons for use . ie, pictures and quotes etc etc
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 8:43pm »

This has now been totally resolved -  and shame on the previous owner running a Cosworth for days on end, without checking fluid levels, allowing the water coolant to go down to a dangerous level Sad  
Thanks Snoopy for the advise on inderting a pic.
I ordered all the parts from my Ford dealer today.
IP Logged
Robiko

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 9:36am »

My problem has also been resolved, and strangely enough in a similar way to Grandadman...

Yesterday my Scorpio decided to have a minor hissy fit and dumped all her water on the ground, on closer examination the top hose had a four inch gash in it, now I've replaced it the heating now works, no more hot antifreeze smell, and finally no more window fogging...  Smiley

Winter? Bring it on... Wink

IP Logged

grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 10:40pm »

I just received the parts water pump etc yesterday and today with the very pleasant mild October day found me working in the engine compartment stripping things down to remove a totally tired and worn out water pump - the play was about 2mm side-to-side no wonder the front end was extremely noisy! I also found that the cast steel base of the CC pump belt tensioner had broken in two at its base so that it'll have to be replaced.  There must have been some enormous vibrations around the water pump area as a result of the bearing having gone. most of the 10 mil bolts were down to 5 or 6Nm very bad - but it made disassembly easy.
I made one big mistake of not removing the electric twin cooling fans and thats where I am at tonight , tomorrow I shall remove said fans and remove the worn out water pump then have a good old clean up in the area prior to fitting the new Ford part. to be cont/d
One thing worthy of note for the inexperienced - you need a hexagonal bit set with a H10 bit to remove the main driving belt tensioner and gain access to the two final left hand water pump securing 10mm bolts I think I wil do a start to finish on this issue perhaps for the site managers to put in the main hyperlinks to 'Fitting a new Water Pump' what do you think guys ?Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 10:44pm »

like this? Smiley

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/cooling/WaterPump24v.pdf

I've always managed with a 10mm socket and a 10mm open ender
IP Logged

yangi

Had Cossie for 9 months - now time to spend money!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 1:56pm »

Hi Grandadman

Glad to hear you got sorted.  Out of interest how much was the waterpump?  Mine's started leaking from the seal and although a tin of 'Bars' has cut it down for now, want to get it replaced asap.  

Also thinking of changing the thermostat at same time as having a few issues - are these available easily?  Read somewhere of six month wait  Roll Eyes

Cheers
IP Logged

Cossie? Heart said Yes. Head said No. Heart Won!
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 8:09pm »

Hiya yangi
Water Pump £128.97 + VAT less my discount - I have been buying Ford parts at my garage since the Granny MK1 days then Granny MK2, then Granny Scorpio MK3 and now  the Scorpio 24V Cossie. So my parts manager really looks ater me on the price with dealer discounts.
I phoned today and was told that the sensor is £15.23 + VAT and the thermostat is £46.89 + VAT. I hope that info helps you. It's a shame that there is very little aftermarket supplies for this particular Ford model Sad  
Finally, I got the impresssion that these were available still from Ford
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.