Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« £1000+ of work and STILL a bad misfire! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   £1000+ of work and STILL a bad misfire!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: £1000+ of work and STILL a bad misfire!  (Read 911 times)
BrianT

What does Jeremy Clarkson know?

View Profile

£1000+ of work and STILL a bad misfire!
« on: Oct 1st, 2007, 4:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of you may remember my posting about the death rattle on my 1996 Ultima 2.3 estate, a few weeks back. Turned out to ne a busted water pump and total coolant loss, with subsequent massive overheating (which strangely didn't seem to show on the dash gauge).

Anyway, new water pump, radiator and hoses later, costing £500, all should be well. Not so. The car quickly developed an appalling misfire.

Took it back to local garage. They examined it, found poor compression on 2 cylinders. Head gasket was broken. Head off, and sure enough, shredded gasket. Ended up needing head and block machining, new coil packs and HT leads, plugs and various other bits and bobs. Paying for it tonight, but expecting about £500 again!

Thing is, the misfire is still there, and the car is almost undriveable. The compression is now OK, so they sorted a problem, but they reckon the misfire is now due to cracked wiring in the loom and will be uneconomical to replace, given that the car is not worth that much anyway. So looks like I've just spent £1000 or more for nothing!

I hasten to add that I've always used this garage and they are honest and reliable. They did almost persuade me not to have the work done in the first place, but I reckoned it was worth it if it made everything work.

I know misfires can be due to all sorts, but I really can't afford to chuck hundreds more at it.  Undecided  Cry Cry
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

Re: £1000+ of work and STILL a bad misfire!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 6:30pm »

not much consolation I know but I had exactly the same thing happen to me with my scorpio..water pump failed ,new head gasket etc
spent £1000 and ended up with  a car misfiring /spluttering ..I suspected they put timing chain on slightly wrong ..it showed no codes...it was perfect before the pump failed...maybe the wiring loom got disturbed when they stripped it ..ive looked at but seems ok

ended up keeping it as a spare and got another one. Lesson for me is if head gasket goes dont spend money having reworked.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 7:27pm »

before you get the head machined, check that it hasnt cracked, the 2.3 is prone to it when it over heats, it goes on the inlet side between cyls 2 and 3
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
BrianT

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 11:44pm »

Head's already been machined. Compression test shows perfect compression, so doubt it's cracked. They're going to have another look at it at the weekend. Convinced it's an electrical problem caused by disturbing the old wiring during strip-down.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:12am »

Have you looked here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm

Check the wiring under the cylinder head cover. Make sure it hasn’t been trapped by the cover where it enters. Peal back the outer insulation and check the wires they can be in a really bad way.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
BrianT

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 9:18am »

I think that's the nub of the problem. The garage are saying it will mean a new loom to properly sort it, which will be expensive. I've told them I'm reluctant to chuck more money at it, unless it's a modest sum.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 9:46am »

You might get a new loom from a Ford dealer. Ford don't make them anymore but there must be a few hanging about on shelves. Think they're about £75  Smiley
IP Logged
Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:19am »

Brian

Check or have an auto electrician check the wiring between the EDIS (hidden under the washer tank front offside wing) and the ECU (under glove box). There are 11 wires and the likely culprit could be the balck and white - goes to and controls the voltage to the fuel pump

Seems a pity to replace the loom if only one wire needs replaced. This was the case in my car earlier this year at the end of a very long saga.

Alastair

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:34am »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 9:46am, jonnycab wrote:
You might get a new loom from a Ford dealer. Ford don't make them anymore but there must be a few hanging about on shelves. Think they're about £75  Smiley

I've just emailed Trevor at   www.fordpartsuk.com
to confirm it's not available - let you know what he says.

Alastair, don't think that's part of this loom (not that it rules it out as a possible problem)
IP Logged

BrianT

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:06pm »

Thanks for the help guys. I'll show these replies to Michael at my local garage when I take the car back on Friday.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:45pm »

My query & Trevor’s reply below, not looking good (the price mentioned is what I paid about 18 months ago)
If you want to email your Vin to him it’s:
t.porterATshaw.ca   (change the AT to @)

Hi Trevor

Sorry to trouble you,
Could you please check if the loom detailed below is still available  
as someone posted on the scorpio site that it is no longer available.

If it is still available could you give me a quote and I'll post it to the site.
Is it the same loom for the 2.0 variants?
============================
Scorpio 2.3DOHC-Fuel Shut Off Loom
Part Number:   1063559
Retail Price:     £92.28
You Pay:    £78.44
Postage & Packing
Parcel Force UK 2Day Service  £5.00
Prices subject to VAT @ 17.5%
Total Cost:  £98.04
======================

Hi David
1063559 is showing as 'referred' at Ford
This does in general means that there is no stock at present and the part may be made obsolete
There are a couple showing on the european dealer files that i could probably get.
I would need the VIN number of the 2.0 to confirm if the same loom is fitted
Regards
Trevor www.fordpartsuk.com
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 2:46am »

Brian T....if it's just the part of the loom that is under the engine cover that is shot, then you can replace the wiring DIY style without too much difficulty.......cut out old wire, replace with new wire  Smiley

Not sure of the amperage rating of the original wiring, but it's pretty thin....so not too high I wouldn't have thought  Smiley

A small reel of 15 amp wire (£3.50ish from motor factors) should suffice.
Also, you'll need some shrink wrap tubing (couple of quid a metre from motor factors).
And if you can't find any original spec plastic armour surround, then some foil lagging tape (to deflect the heat) will finish it off nicely  Wink

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.