Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cosworth 2.9 v24 R reg ERRATIC DRIVE  PROBLEM »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cosworth 2.9 v24 R reg ERRATIC DRIVE  PROBLEM
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cosworth 2.9 v24 R reg ERRATIC DRIVE  PROBLEM  (Read 736 times)
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

Cosworth 2.9 v24 R reg ERRATIC DRIVE  PROBLEM
« on: Oct 17th, 2007, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I completed my work on the water pump replacement this morning and fired up the engine she purred like a little sewing machine but with the snarl of a tiger when I revved up, so I thought that's good, all sorted - time for a short road test. I went along a ring road and put my foot down and all was well, went around a round a bout and on the way back I lost all drive, it was as if I had pushed the clutch in [which I haven't got] and I could rev the engine up and there was no drive at all then suddenly a heavy clunk and she was back in drive so I slowed right down the car engaged in another gear
and I motored home loosing traction revving out of gear and doing all sorts of daft erratic antics. My first reaction was to lift the bonnet and check the autobox level and quality - all good. level, and nice reddish colour as I know it should be. So right now the car is on my drive until I can find out what is the likelihood cause of this very bad driving behaviour - Can anyone help  Huh
to me it sounds like an electronic control issue. As you know I am new to this world of Scorpios so my learning curve is virtually vertical at the moment - I do not know what I would have done without this club/forum
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

Re: Cosworth 2.9 v24 R reg ERRATIC DRIVE  PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 5:46pm »

Have you checked the MAF sensor? It may need cleaning
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 5:48pm »

Where is it located??
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 5:58pm »

It is detailed HERE. Whatever you do don't try and touch the elements, which are like bulb filaments, inside the 'tube'. Just keep spraying with carb cleaner until they are shiny.  Wink  If you have been working on the water pump make sure that all the sensor connectors in the area are back in place in case one has been left off. Also check for any signs of 'dodgy' wiring which may have been disturbed, particularly along the top of the radiator etc.  Smiley Also go to THIS page and check out the 'transmission' section. Possibly the VSS?.  Mike
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 9:18pm »

Hi Simmo Cheers! Tonight I have the MAF assembly stripped ready to attack it and the fine elements [carefully with the spray jet] with carburretor cleaner which I wil buy in the morning.
Taking your advice I will eliminate one thing at a time.
I will report back tomorrow on mt MAF cleansing results. Wink
IP Logged
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 8:40pm »

Hi All, I did as suggested yesterday and disassembled the MAF sensor located the small filament etc, bought some carb cleaner and gave it a good wash and brush up without the brush and when I was finished it was squeaky clean, so I reassembled ithe air intake area making sure everything was battened down as it should be because I am a bit of a perfectionist and took the car out to my ring road for a test drive. Whilst the system/engine was cool the car performed quite normally and as it got warmer it started doing it's daft tricks like -  
1. Jumping out of gear and staying out until the vehicle stops.  
2. The engine revs up to 3000 RPM no drive I slow down and then thump! it re-engages  
3. As I am driving up my road it is still doing weird things that I am not able to control.  

NOTE: When I started the car up after I cleaned the MAF Sensor it started hunting and after a minute or two it stopped. This hunting, if that is the right term, disappointed  me somewhat as I thought on start up from cold the engine would tick over at about 750/850RPM steadily  
After the the road test drive the car sat on my drive as if it had never misbehaved steady idle about 750RPM all gearbox lights working. gears engaging as they should but it was getting dark and I was feeling down hearted that cleaning the electrical MAF sensor hadn't fixed my problem.  
Anyone got any further ideas I can try tomorrow
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 7:33am »

Grandad, Are you sure that ALL the sensors are re-connected. If the car was ok before the work it does sound as if something has been disturbed or has got water in it during the repair process. As these problems seem to occur when the car warms up could it be related to a temperature sensor, either air or water?. All these components are in the vicinity of the 'repair'. Have a look at THIS pageand see if that helps. The inlet air temp sensor is fitted under the hose on the 2.0ltr.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tobbe

4.1 litre 24v BOB

150118665 150118665    
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 9:19pm »

Have you recently had the battery disconnected?
Did you missed to put all wires back before you tried to start her up?
And did you just put back the wire you missed without disconnecting the battery first?  

If you have, just disconnect the battery and then reconnect it with ALL wires this time before you try to start her up and everything should be back in normal..... Been there done that Grin
IP Logged

grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 10:02pm »

Thanx Tobbe I will check this tomorrow OK?  
Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.