Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.0l engine rattle help im demented »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.0l engine rattle help im demented
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.0l engine rattle help im demented  (Read 321 times)
zorgman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.0l engine rattle help im demented
« on: Oct 19th, 2007, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all
had my car for 9 months now and since i got it its had a rattle sounding like tappets on tickover, ive changed oil 4 times with different grades ie: 5/40 10/40/15/40 all the norm oil. engine has been flushed out twice, renewed the whole timing chain inc guides etc.
the noise seems to go when i rev car to 2000rpm so im assuming its oil pressure related, whilst doing chain i checked all the hydraulic tappets and none where siezed and all felt the same sort of spongy when pressed. the noise is not there at first cold startup in morn then appears after say 10 secs and is there hot or cold. ive pulled my hair out sorting this noise and the engine is smooth but sort of harsh when driving it in the noise dept. anyone had this problem and cured it as i cant afford a new engine, the clocks show 173,000 miles but theres no smoke or any other nastys.
while engine is on tickover ive had my stethoscope on and poked about but cant seem to hear the load rattle. strange thing is it seems louder under the car than on top.
any help ideas on this please as its too nice a motor for such a small thing to spoil it
laurie
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Re: 2.0l engine rattle help im demented
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:52am »

Hi laurie,is it a 8v or 16v model.I,ve had both models which rattled.The 8v turned out to be a worn camshaft,the 16v sounded like big ends but was actually a worn tourqe converter clipping the side of the bellhousing  Shocked Shocked.This sound also came from underneath (obviousley).Just a couple of ideas to throw into the mix
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
zorgman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 1:15am »

its the 8v jobbie, had the camshafts out and there was slight scoring on the cam carrier and caps.
worth looking into as i know where i can get a pair of cams cheap
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 7:58pm »

Hi m8.Slight scoring believe it or not is enough to make a good engine noisy,especially if there are indents on the caps.Unfortunatly new cams will only temporarely fix the problem.May need a complete top end overhaul (which isnt as expensive as it sounds).Check the cam mounting posts for wear,as worn bearings can make these slightly oval & you will be back to square 1 in 10,000 miles
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
zorgman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 8:10pm »

hi
good info for me.
is it ok on these engines to swap cams and caps off another head or is it a complete head job swap, asking this as i can get the cam, caps and tappets off another engine thats got a crack in the head. also is it possible to change cams without replacing the chian tensioner ie keeping the sprocket in place
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.