Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help? Help? Help? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help? Help? Help?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help? Help? Help?  (Read 954 times)
a11mcr

1995 Scorpio cosworth 24V ultima

View Profile

Help? Help? Help?
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all i am new to this so please be kind?
i have just bought a scorpio ultima estate 2.3 auto after traveling the 50 trip home the gear box will not select top gear also when i pull up to a junction it wont pull away unless i select 1st gear.
i have read the advice on ths site and cleaned the MAF but still no better the oil is over the full mark (about 50% over) and is sort of brown but not black and no bits in it.
Point 2.
the heater fan is not working at all bu i am going to check the fuse!
Point 3.
the wiper stalk seams to be back to front when you select the rear washer it does the front screen nothing happens when i press the end of the stalk and also the tailgate washer/wiper does not work at all.
no doubt i will find more problems when i have a good check over it all later today.
I live it the north east (Redcar, Cleveland) so if there is anyone local who may have a spare auto box for sale please let me know.
Thanks
Mark  (newbie)
IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

Re: Help? Help? Help?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 6:16pm »

Me again.
THe gearbox is actualy starting to get a bit better after i dissconected the battery
the oil is only a light brown (180k miles). would you recommend a fluid and filter change?
Also what should the revs be at 70mph this runs at 3500rpm and 4000rpm at 80mph?
Mark
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 6:48pm »

Great car, got one myself !
If the autobox has been over filled I would think that could cause some strange symptoms.
180k - if it is the original gearbox then it could be nearing the end of its life although light brown fluid rather than pink probably normal - it does discolour with age / mileage - mine has 127k on it, ATF was light brown but I had the fluid and filter changed - a lot smoother now and should extend the life of the auto box a bit. Cost around £100 for labour, fluid, filters & gaskets. May be better in your case to put that towards a gearbox rebuild given the mileage.
Revs seem a bit high IMHO - you should get about 26mph per 1000rpm in top gear - is your overdrive engaging correctly ? Check light on dash and switch on gear lever.  
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 8:07pm »

Thanks mike.
there are no lights on the dash for the overdrive unless i switch it off. how can i tell if it is engaging? Huh
i can get a gearbox from a local scrapyard for £130 exchange (i think with 85k on it). how big a job is it to replace? ( i am quite good with cars).
Any i dea on the other faults?
thanks
mark
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 9:31pm »

That's right - the O/D light on the dash tells you it is switched off - should feel like an up or downshift when it engages or disengages. Double check those RPM to MPH figures with and without the O/D on.
Check the ATF in any s/h gearbox for colour and condition and be wary of any burnt smell or dark bits in the fluid - if there are any, walk away. Always a bit risky though as you never really know what you are getting.
I'm told these gearboxes are pretty heavy so not something I would tackle on my own. Last gearbox I changed was a 5-sp manual on my Sierra and that was pretty heavy, wouldn't fancy doing that again I can tell you.

Sorry, not sure about the other things - don't much like electrics.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 2:53pm »

Out for a run today, 60mph = 2250 rpm on a flat bit of road.
Top gear O/D on.
If your revs really are that high it could be the torque converter is a bit worn and you are getting the same effect as a slipping clutch.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 4:30pm »

Sounds like top gear isnt engaging
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:27pm »

First Things First ! HAVE YOU CLEANED THE MAF properly Huh? Most important before going to look elswhere... It has been know to take a couple of goes to get it clean .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 10:27pm »

Thanks for all the help so far.
You all may think i am totaly thick!!! Tongue but i have just looked a a manual for an old granada scorpio 1992 2.0L and the dipstick i have been checking is the engine oil!.
I found the ATF dipstick on the left hand side and checked it when it was warm and guess what? bone dry! i have added 2L of oil and it seem a bit better but will still engage top gear and also still has a delay when i select drive but the gear change is very smooth so could it be an electrical fault? i will have another go at the MAF but it seem clean to me (used brake cleaner and a babys toothbrush).
Cheers
Mark
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 10:41pm »

Hope you haven't touched the wires with a babys toothbrush _ they won't survive that!

It's the sensor wires here:

read here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:49am »

Better have a look for where the gearbox oil went too, check the pipes running from the O/S of the gearbox to the oil cooler below the front bumper for leaks
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:51am »

Hi no but it is all nice and shiny now even the sensor wires are nice and bright.
Are there any connectors on the box i could check if its on a ramp? or relays for the O/D?.
Took it for a good run but no difference to top gear and the ATF is red and just under the full mark now. Is there any special way to check the level i.e engine running or nt?
Cheers
Mark Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:53am »

OK The way to check the level of the auto gear box is :-
get the engine and gear box up to running temperature .. a good run of 30 mins should surffice.
leave the engine running . and stop on level ground and apply hand brake.  
move the gear selectior through ALL the positions three or four times slowly ( to allow all the oil ways to fill.).
then put it into park and with the engine stil running check the level of the fluid in the box.

If you do need to put ATF fluid in use either Dexron 2 or 3 or Fords own.. BUT you need to find out why it needs oil. It is a closed system and so does not use oil .  
Primary suspects are the from oil cooler pipes . otherwise its s gearbox seal gone.  

Good luck!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:16pm »

A  more  than  3 to 4  second  delay  between   selecting  D  and  the  1st gear  engaging   is a sure sign  of  terminal  wear  in the box.  Cry

At    180k   ( if it's the original box )   it's  done more than well  to get  this  far.  Grin

Sorry to be  pessemistic   ( it's my only remaining pleasure  Cry )   but don't get your  hopes  up  of  a   cheap  or quick  solution.

IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 6:41pm »

Story so far!
It still takes 3-5 seconds to engage first gear frm P to D.
I have checked the level and it is now normal?
I done a 100 mile trip and it changes smoothly and quickly and the kickdown is great .it flys up banks with no sign of slipping. O/D seems to be working as when i take my foot of the pedel at arund 70 (still at 3500 rpm) it goes down to 1500 rpm the when i press the O/D button the revs go up and i can feel the gears change (is this normal??) but it still seems like it will not engage top gear.
Now could this be down to an electrical fault? or any loose vacume pipes? also how can i check for any faults with the engine management system?? maybe there is some sort of sensor down.
Thanks for your help so far  Cheesy Cheesy
cheers
mark
IP Logged
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 10:50pm »

It sounds like top gear isnt engaging. I think the overdrive switch also locks/unlocks the torque converter for engine braking so that is what you can feel  with your foot off the accelerator. With the delay in engaging drive it looks like the brake bands in the gearbox may need adjusting http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/autotrans/BrakeBandsAdj.pdf  . This is due to wear and will be unlikely to be a long term fix IMHO.
Jim
IP Logged

Jim
cuzza

NEVER SURRENDER 95 ultima 24v shogun 3.5gdi

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 9:56pm »

mark ....where local was this gearbox ? is the vehicle there  Grin
IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 10:59pm »

It was at S P Morgans at guisborough and yes the rest of the car is there (minus the two front seats)  it was a 2.0L but the engine is shot.
mark
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.