Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuel Gauge »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fuel Gauge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuel Gauge  (Read 430 times)
Apollo000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Fuel Gauge
« on: Nov 4th, 2007, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, I jhave just joined and my flabber is gasted at the amount of information on offer from a brilliant site.

I have just bought a 96/P 2.9i 12V Scorpio Ultima, the fuel gauge seems to have a mind of it's own (i knew this when i bought it) and does not give the correct reading. I have carried out a reset of the instruments by using the self diagnostic check (courtesy of this site) by holding the trip reset for 5 seconds. When I click around to the fuel reading it says 35.1 and the tank reads half full which seems about right. However the gauge has not moved in the last 60 miles.

Does the 35.1 reflect the amount of fuel in the tank or the position of the fuel gauge. When i first drove the car the gauge needle was 'floating' all over the place now this has stopped and it seems fixed.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 2:48pm »

If it is reading 35 ltrs on the trip reset system and the gauge reads 1/2 then that is correct as the tank hold 70 ltrs.. as to why it should be floating about I have no idea other that the sender unit is on the blink, but to change that is quite a big job and requires removal of the tank as there is NO access from inside the car.  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 10:16pm »

It is similar to the Granada and I had trouble with the Granadas guage floating about....

I traced it to the area of the sender unit, bought a spare, then on stripping the tank out to replace it found it was simply due to poor connections at the sender. It was a case of dropping the tow bar brackets, then releasing the straps holding the tank, to get to the sender connections which are between tank and body.

A quick clean up of the earthing and sender terminal fixed it.

It doesn't seem to quite fit in with your fuel gauge staying at a fixed level, but perhaps that might be something to do with the fact that the actual guage seems to be processor controlled - perhaps the processor has become confused?

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Apollo000

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 7:59am »

Hi just an update, this morning it showed as S-C on the display when i flicked through the diagnostic check and the gauge stayed on empty i suspect that the wiring somewhere is probably loose and short circuiting.
IP Logged
sapte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 2:58pm »

I have had the same problem, first with the temp gauge then with both temp gauge and fuel gauge, they'd stay at half. the problem is in the welding of the gauges on the circuit board.  With time they get old and when they contract and dilate they stop making good contact. Follow this link and it's a guaranteed success:  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolanttempgauge.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.