Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fitting new wheel bearing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fitting new wheel bearing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fitting new wheel bearing  (Read 537 times)
ChrisF

All the Granny's now the best 98 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile WWW Email

Fitting new wheel bearing
« on: Nov 19th, 2007, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am fitting a new rear wheel bearing (n/s) and wondered if anybody has any tips as to how to split the bearing of the axle, I have tried this in the past even using a large hub puller to no avail.     Please help.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Fitting new wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 11:01pm »

I assume you have the hub carrier off (or will have) & want to pull the hub out.

The fit of the inner tracks obviously varies, as some people say they’re a sliding/light friction fit. If your bearings are like mine you’ll have a major fight on your hands. The best bet is to find someone with a hydraulic press to remove them.
I used a hub puller & couple of nuts and bolts between the hub & carrier to jack it apart, but it wasn’t easy. Having got it apart I couldn’t get the second inner track off, I even bought an extractor but it wouldn’t move it. I tried modifying a puller to pull on the bearing lip which just had bits of bearing flying off like bullets. I ended up grinding the track off. The outer tracks weren’t much easier.
Putting it back you can heat one cool the other as appropriate, but if they’re as tight as mine, it still won’t be easy.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 1:49am »

on Nov 19th, 2007, 7:35pm, ChrisF wrote:
I am fitting a new rear wheel bearing (n/s) and wondered if anybody has any tips as to how to split the bearing of the axle, I have tried this in the past even using a large hub puller to no avail.     Please help.

Put the hub with the bearings still in it & also the new bearings in the freezer for a few hours (I left them overnight). When cold enough, the bearings should just tap out & the new bearings should just tap in....it worked for me  Smiley

P.S...make sure you put them all in sealed plastic bags or it'll stink your freezer out  Wink
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 6:33am »

on Nov 19th, 2007, 11:01pm, Tompion wrote:

I ended up grinding the track off. The outer tracks weren’t much easier.
Putting it back you can heat one cool the other as appropriate, but if they’re as tight as mine, it still won’t be easy.

Dave

This is how I removed mine,  Huh However  NoNo don't grind the thing too far, just before it has gone through the track, you can then crack it with a suitable chisel....

I did five of them Undecided some were easier than others.

hth

Good luck
pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 8:27am »

Mine cracked of there own accord once I got within a few thou of the hub – shows how tight they were.

I don’t see how freezing similar metals will help as everything shrinks at the same rate, like I said with mine I still had to drive them in even after the fridge/oven treatment. I did both hubs & only had one frozen outer track drop into a hot carrier.
One thing’s for certain I wouldn’t have been able to fit the track with the hub resting on a wheel ramp as shown on the website and it would have been impossible to fit the hub with the carrier already fitted to the car.

When you fit the seals make sure you push them right in and don’t damage the outer lip. Mine had only been pushed in so the ridged part was flush to the carrier which resulted in the lips being torn off by the shaft & the shaft wearing through the metal part of the seal.
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 8:44am »

The Stub Axle shuld knock out . Use a copper headed hammer of a peice of Hard wood and use am ordnary hammer . If its the inner parts of the bearing you are trying to get off the stub axle then either cut off using a small cutter like a dremmel or as suggested take it to a garage and use a hydraulic press.  
If the caps are stuck inside the carrier then they WILL knock out with a cold chisel and hammer but is takes time and patience.  
. When you get to putting the new bearing in put the NEW Caps in the freezer overnight and the carrier in the oven . the caps shpuld then just drop in or at least tap in like shown in the pictures on the web .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 9:22am »

There’s obviously a variation in the tolerances on these, I fully accept that most are a simple job, but I think it worth pointing out to people that it may not be simple. I looked at all the components of my hubs with an eye glass & they were as machined – no sign of seizing or anything that would explain them being so tight, they were simply made that way.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 9:48am »

Well, all can say is that the freezing method worked for me, although I mean't to say hub carrier & not hub. The hub had to be renewed as it was badly scored  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.