Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2024, 11:27am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Squeaky Shocks Like Warn Mattress »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Squeaky Shocks Like Warn Mattress
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Squeaky Shocks Like Warn Mattress  (Read 1384 times)
Bondian

I own a Ford Scorpio Ultima TD Diesel Estate(1995)

View Profile WWW

Squeaky Shocks Like Warn Mattress
« on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, Folks.

I have been checking out this amazing site over the past few months, and am amazed at how thoughtful and intelligent you all are. Thought it was about time you have a thicko join.  Grin

I have a Ford Ultima TD (1995) Manual Diesel. I cannot begin to start on how many problems I've had. Spent £££ on this and that, but at last, I've had a good month were nothings gone wrong.

However. When negotiating carefully the usual speed ramps in my area, there's some squeaking coming from (as far as I know) the shock absorbers. A sound like a young couple doing naughty things whilst your trying to sleep on that holiday in Benidorm.

Do you think I need new shocks?.

Here's a few other problems...

1). Electric fuel cap only works manually.

2). Near side front passenger door light on dash is displayed even when door is shut properly.

3). Hand break too high. Have been told that the 'Callipers' need adjusting.

Are there any enthusiasts in the Southend-On-Sea area who would like to help me out?.

All the best.

Cheers,

Ian
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Squeaky Shocks Like Warn Mattress
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:30pm »

What electric fuel cap??. The fuel cap is locked when the car is locked.... that is all. It has no 'opening' mechanism. The door light could be just a dirty switch contact. Try spraying the lock mechanism with WD 40. Does the alarm set up ok??. The handbrake works on the rear pads and can become seized up so again lubrication may solve it. The lever sits on top of the caliper and needs to move freely. If you need to replace the rear pads the piston WILL NOT push back but needs to be wound back with a special tool which is cheap and easily available.The calipers 'self adjust' if they are working correctly. Go to THIS page and check out the relevant links on the right hand side of the page as well.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 2:26am »

Hi there & welcome  Wink

Regarding the 'squeaking shocks'....I'm not sure shocks actually squeak when they're worn.

Easiest way to check the shocks for wear is to bounce each corner of the car. It should bounce once then settle, anymore than this means the shocks are most likely worn & need replacing  Smiley

Sqeaking is usually either worn rubber bushes or springs  Wink

Is the sqeak from the front or back ?

P.S....Southend eh ? ....not too far from me  Smiley

IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 11:30pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:25pm, Bondian wrote:
Do you think I need new shocks?.

That is more likely to be squeeks from the rubber bushes, especially if it goes quiet when it rains. Track it down by pressing on each corner in turn, then spray any contact areas around the bushes with (I think, anyone confirm?) silicon spray.

1). Electric fuel cap only works manually.

What electric fuel cap? The fuel filler cap locks when you lock the car and unlocks when you unlock it - it does nothing more than that.

2). Near side front passenger door light on dash is displayed even when door is shut properly.

I think the switch for that is located inside the lock and is separate from the button which operates the interior light.

3). Hand break too high. Have been told that the 'Callipers' need adjusting.

It operates on the rear calipers and should be self adjusting. The self adjuster is a matter of the piston gradually screwing itself out as the pad wears. A special tool is then needed to screw the piston back in to fit new pads. Check the pistons can be turned, but expect them to be tight. Other than that, it could be the cables seized and not returning properly - work them and apply grease to the exposed inners at the caliper end.  

Even more likely - the handbrake arm on the top of the caliper which has seized.  

These latter items have a spring to return them and they should return freely to the off position once the handbrake is released. If not - work them back and forth applying some lubricant to the pivot shaft. If these are not returning fully the handbrake cannot self adjust.

Unlikely, but the actual cable adjustment might be at fault. If all above is OK, then you can adjust the handbrake cable length via an adjuster under the car - look for a large nylon nut, prevented from moving by a pin. I think correctly adjusted the handbrake lever should click 7 times to full on.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 1:39am »

As harry says, it could be the cable needs adjustment (could be stretched), which can be found here....

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/adjhandbrake.htm

.....About half way down the page  Smiley
IP Logged
Bondian

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:00pm »

Hi, Folks.

Thank you all very much for your replies, and my apologies for the delay in answering.

Since my brake pump needed replacing and the temperature gauge connecting, I have another problem. There is a 1 volt drain that drains the battery every two weeks or so. If I use the car for short journey's, the battery will discharge in around five days.

I have had the 'RAC' look at it. They concluded that the dynamo is charging the battery, and all the fuses seem to be okay.

If anyone could throw me any ideas on what the problem could be, I would be very very appreciative.

All the best.

Cheers,

Ian
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:45pm »

The 1 Volt drain - I suppose/hope you mean 1 Ampère?  Since your battery has a c. 70Ah capacity it will be empty every 70 hours, is what you say.

While your car may be very different from mine I am confronted with a possibly similar problem.

Before I ramble on and start offering 15 possibilities I'd like to home in on its behaviour -- do you keep your car on alarm overnight? Or just on single lock? Or not locked? Anytime or always?

I'll get back to you after your answer.
Regards,
Ray
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:48pm »

BTW: Are your door-ajar indicators still coming on?
In my case it was due to corroded connectors at the back of the instrument panel - once you clean them everyting works again properly, including the trip computer, the Airbag does not WARN anymore etc.

HTH,
Ray
IP Logged
Bondian

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 6:22pm »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 5:45pm, Cosray wrote:
The 1 Volt drain - I suppose/hope you mean 1 Ampère?  Since your battery has a c. 70Ah capacity it will be empty every 70 hours, is what you say.

While your car may be very different from mine I am confronted with a possibly similar problem.

Before I ramble on and start offering 15 possibilities I'd like to home in on its behaviour -- do you keep your car on alarm overnight? Or just on single lock? Or not locked? Anytime or always?

I'll get back to you after your answer.
Regards,
Ray

Hi, Ray.

Thank you very much for your reply.

All I do is to single lock the car everytime I use it.

Since the chap from the RAC checked all the fuses, the battery light is on in the dash. Hadn't noticed ths before. Am now wondering if it's the fusebox's?

Quote:

BTW: Are your door-ajar indicators still coming on?  
In my case it was due to corroded connectors at the back of the instrument panel - once you clean them everyting works again properly, including the trip computer, the Airbag does not WARN anymore etc.  

HTH,  
Ray

The lights went out the next day, my friend.

Cheers,

Ian
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 9:49pm »

When the lights work so -- when your battery is up again -- when you are driving that is - is the battery light on but just very faint?

Mine's been like that for the past 4 years and no probs. Just a Scorpio oddnes, they say.

When you read my post about this phenomenon you will notice I measured my car's currentdrain in rest. Sometimes it was 0.6A sometimes 60mA in rest.  

Please check your glovecompartment lightswitch (too silly for words) and the bootlightswitch. Both account for 0.6A . Then there is the radio and its poweramp accounting for another 1.2 A; are they OFF when they are supposed to be?

I was not joking about the door-ajarlights and the Airbaglight and the tripcomputer etc...
Regards,
Ray

IP Logged
Bondian

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:14pm »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 9:49pm, Cosray wrote:
When the lights work so -- when your battery is up again -- when you are driving that is - is the battery light on but just very faint?

Yes. It is very faint.

Quote:
Mine's been like that for the past 4 years and no probs. Just a Scorpio oddnes, they say.

Yes. It's very strange.  Smiley

Quote:
When you read my post about this phenomenon you will notice I measured my car's currentdrain in rest. Sometimes it was 0.6A sometimes 60mA in rest.  

Please check your glovecompartment lightswitch (too silly for words) and the bootlightswitch. Both account for 0.6A . Then there is the radio and its poweramp accounting for another 1.2 A; are they OFF when they are supposed to be?

I haven't checked the boot light switch, but the glove compartment light does not work.

As I've previous mentioned, this problem started when a Mechanic re connected the temperature gauge because it wasn't working. The RAC chap unplugged the gauge on the engine, but there's still the drain on the battery. He said that it could be the feed it was connected to. Also the fan that cools the radiator has no juice going to it.

Quote:
I was not joking about the door-ajarlights and the Airbaglight and the tripcomputer etc...
Regards,
Ray

I didn't think you were, my friend.  

The RAC chap pulled out each fuse one-by-one, but the drain was still present.

Cheers,

Ian
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 10:04pm »

When you study the Power Distribution Schematics there's only a handful of components linked to the battery NOT fused NOR switched i.e. permanently connected.  
It would follow that those are suspect since pulling fuses has no effect, you say.
One of them is the generator. I would suspect one of the 3 diodes in the pack leaking. 1 Amp at 12 V represents a leakage resistance of 12 Ohms - possible.
The other 2 diodes would still rectify the AC for the battery  though inefficiently because of the halfwave ripple. Add to that the diode leakage while not running...

An easy test would be to disconnnect the generator leads and measure battery drain.

Just an educated guess.
HTH ,
Ray
IP Logged
Bondian

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2009, 4:18pm »

Thanks again for your reply, mate.

Does anyone live near Southend-On-Sea, Essex? If so, I'll be more than willing to pay for someone to fix the problem.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Ian
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.