Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Flat Battery :-( »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Flat Battery :-(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Flat Battery :-(  (Read 452 times)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Flat Battery :-(
« on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 2:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just got back today from 2 glorious weeks in Florida and found the battery on my Scorpio is as flat as the proverbial pancake. Guess the time has come to get a new one but need to get the car running.

Just wondering if there are any issues with jump starting from another car or if I need to disconnect it to put it on charge.

Any advice gratefully rec'd, just don't want to damage the delicate electrics but doing summat wrong.

TIA
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Flat Battery :-(
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 3:01pm »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/handbook114.gif

just take your time and it'll be fine.

hth
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 3:05pm »

Putting it on charge would be the best idea but you CAN jump start the car but take care . connect the red lead first and then the black one to a suitable ground point... Only use the battery - terminal as a last resort .. Leave the engine running to charge the flat battery for a few minutes and then make sure EVERYTHING is switched off and try to start the dead car. leave it running and then disconnect the leads, in the reverse order.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 6:52pm »

OK, so I took the battery out this morning and connected it to the charger - the needle on the charger meter has registered a steady zero all day long...so either the battery or the charger may be totally cream crackered. Charger makes a humming noise but not sure it is actually doing anything  Huh

Does anyone know how to test if the charger is working ?

Sticker on the side of the battery tells me it is approx 3 1/2 yrs old so may be due for replacement anyway, funny how it was working perfectly fine the day I went on holiday.

Since I need to get the car running again asap, looks like it will have to be a new battery so what is the correct spec to go for in terms of capacity etc...
Can anyone recommend a particular brand ?

TIA
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:00pm »

hi i got my last couple from halfords the guy who had it before me had the wrong size on there and the needles would flick round before starting i have not had any problems with there batterys they were not both for the scorpio Wink
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:09pm »

Some battery chargers produce an output voltage whether connected to a battery or not. Others only output a voltage when connected to a battery with some voltage already across the battery terminals, thus preventing damage from reverse polarity.

So if your battery is completely flat and you are trying to use one of the above types of charger, then it will not work. Faced with the same situation I choose a charger which does not check for voltage to get it going or connect a second battery with some voltage just to kick start it charging.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:26pm »

A    75 Amp hours  -  720 amps   battery  is  ideal  for a 2.0 or 2.3 Scorpio.

Hold fire though, don't shell out the shekels just yet,    my battery was flat when I came back fromtwo weeks  hols too,   but   as the Scorpio has a sensitive starting circuit,   maybe   all it needs is a good  overnight charge up.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 10:46am »

Left battery on charge all night, stuck it back in the car this morning and it started first time !

Maybe the meter on the charger is faulty  Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 6:42pm »

As my Scorp doesn't get much regualr use, I keep it and the bike each on their own battery tenders in the garage. For the Scorp I use a rather copy of a rather fancy charger I bought from Lidl at around £10, so good I got myself a second one when they were re-offered some months later. I notice they had them on offer again recently and there may still be a few left. Max output is 2.6 amps and they are designed such that they can be left permanently connected, nursing the battery.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.