Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Flickering interior/exterior lights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Flickering interior/exterior lights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Flickering interior/exterior lights  (Read 1203 times)
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Flickering interior/exterior lights
« on: Dec 12th, 2007, 1:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys,

When i start my car and switch the lights on the interior and exterior lights flicker.This still hapens when i up the revs and also when driving.Is this a sign of a worn altenator or is this a faulty battery.This has been happening for about two years approx,the altenator is the original but the battery was new from ford three years ago. The needles dont spin round when starting, so i guess the battery is ok.Has this ever  happened to anyone else on this site as any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Flickering interior/exterior lights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2007, 3:21pm »

Check out the voltage output from the alternator via the dashboard reset procedure.. It should give you some idea of what is happening , but I would think the alternator is the prime suspect. to do the procedure look HERE
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ultimate

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2007, 2:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

stabiliser/rectifier pack in alternator faulty-100%--quite a common fault on scorpios--check that power steering fluid inst seeping into it-another common problem-if this is your problem sort leak out before starting work on your replacement alternator.
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:23am »

Thanks for your replies guys. I will check them out and let you know the outcome.

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:29am »

Wayne I had this the other night on one side of the car only, the lights dont go out but there was a definite pulsing up and down.

It happened after i connected the trailer electrics for the first time whether that's relevant or not..

Anyway I got rid of it by changing the fuse for the lights on that side, maybe the old one wasnt getting a good enough contact?

Possibly you have the same problem only over the whole circuit? a relay possibly? or the light switch inside the car? (They are known to overheat)
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:37am »

Thanks Highlander,
I'll try that first as its the cheaper option.

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 2:11pm »

Check the looms along the boot hinge area and below the rear seat for damage too
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 4:07pm »

deffo check the boot looms, they're known for chaffing, was the cause of my rear interior light not working, and the rear screen heater.......which still doesnt work as i was going to fix it, ahem, before the cold weather set in   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 5:30pm »

my dash lights and radio face pulse when car is cold, with lots on and in traffic. revving it doesnt help. internal voltage reading is 13.8V throughout. i either forget about it, or it stops doing it, not sure which. exterior lights dont pulse though....  

im assuming im getting a new alternator at some point, but hey its been doing it for 3 months now, and all is still going ok, so im ignoring it (i find with these cars you usually regret changing things unless its "necessary")  Cheesy

hth,
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 5:23pm »

Hi Guys
Hope you all had a great xmas.  
So far i've checked fuses/relays,boot hinge loom but all lights still flicker.The voltage output via the dash is 14.2 with engine idling and headlights on.So charging ok.So the only thing left to try is the altenator so i have ordered a recon unit from fords @£135 + £30 surcharge and this will take ten days to get due to xmas shutdown. Any tips on changing the altenator on a 24v? Thanks for all your help and i will let you know if it was the altenator.
Regards
Wayne
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 8:21pm »

b4 going down that route have you checked all the earth connections are tight?
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 9:17am »

OK, ive checked earth connections on battery shelf, theres two, they seem nice and tight. Does anyone know if theres an earth on the back of the alternator? I think i should check the two wires that go to the back of it, but there isnt alot of space to get socket set in to check tightness.Has the alternator got to be taken off to enable this to be checked? Anyway i should get recon unit tomorrow,so i know what i'll be doing over the weekend, weather permitting.

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 5:12pm »

Just my opinion but bad connection somewhere sounds far more likely. If you put a voltmeter (an anologue one is better) between a good earth and a live connection (like the battery + terminal), you should be getting a pretty steady 13.5-14v with the engine idling. If the voltage holds steady while you're getting the flickering issues, it's not the alternator, you're looking for a loom/fusebox fault.  

Fusebox issue maybe? Undecided

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 12:57pm »

Hi Guys

I changed the alternator on satarday and the lights have stopped flickering Grin,but now the battery light is constantly on  Sad.So on sunday i changed it back for the old one and the battery light is now off,so i think fords have either sold me a faulty recon alternator, or that its not powerfull enough,because the new one is 90 amps but the old one is 100 amps.does anyone know if 90 amps is adequate or do i need 100 amps? Ford are saying that the 90 amp matches the vehicle reg no on their computer, part no
95 GB 10300. I suppose in the meantime i will try and get fords to replace the recon alternator for another one. Angry

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 2:58pm »

Should be 100 amp alternator for the Scorpio AFAIK  
See HERE
If teh charging light is on when running it ussually signifies that one or more of the diodes has failed.. So my advice would be take it back to FMD and report it as faulty, explaining the syptoms.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 2:52pm »

Hi There,
Took alternator back to fords and reported the fault,but they didn't want to know unless i ordered another, and payed £165 up front again.They said i had to book my car in with them and let them fit the faulty alternator at a cost,if it was then proved to be faulty they would then let me claim my money back through the warranty which could take weeks, meanwhile they would fit the second one, but at a cost.So i decided to opt out of this and go and get the alternator tested and guess what, they said it was ok so fitted it back on car but battery light comes on and off (more on than off) but when the original one is put back on the battery light comes on with ignition and then off.So not sure what to do at the moment, maybe i have a fault elseware or the new alternator has an intimitent fault?

Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 7:28pm »

Hi Wayne. Really sounds to me like more of a loom or maybe fusebox fault, bad looms aren't uncommon on these cars as they get older. As in my previous post, you really need to start checking the voltage at various points, from there you should be able to work out if there's a bad connection and if so, whereabouts it is.  

Otherwse you'll just end up spending more than the value of the car replacing parts and go insane trying to work out what the hell is wrong Undecided

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 2:33pm »

Hi ALL
Decided to strip down original alternator and stumbled across the bushes,there was some gunk build up on these so i gave them a good clean and checked that they were moving freely on the springs.I then put back together and refitted to car and this seems to have stopped the flickering/pulseing lights and is charging at 14.2 v via the dashboard display,also there is no battery light on after initial start up.So problem solved at the moment ,just need to sell the recon alternator.
Thanks for all your advice on this and will speak to you all soon.
Regards

Wayne
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.