Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rusty Wheel Arches »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Rusty Wheel Arches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rusty Wheel Arches  (Read 547 times)
ScorpioGirl

I Love My CAR

View Profile

Rusty Wheel Arches
« on: Dec 16th, 2007, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi has anyone ever repaired there wheel arches, mine at the back are getting worse every year, i got a quote but its expensive, could i repair them myself? Has anyone done this b4, mines the black sparkle paint too, Thankyou
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Rusty Wheel Arches
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 8:26pm »

Mine was bad on the passenger side... the worst one apparently.. and it was just a case of grinding off any rust and a bit of filler added and then touching up. I was lucky that mine never got beyond the underside of the arch and so it wasn't too obvious. That was 18 months ago and no reoccurance yet.

I do have a pair of ford arches to fit if they ever need to be cut out though!

Baz
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 12:32am »

Exactly right Baz.If theres enough left of your arch to form the origional shape,then as baz said it,s a case of removing all the flaky rust (wire brush on the end of your drill/grinder is the quickest way),then treating the metal with something like krust to slow the rusting process.After that it,s a case of filling the gaps with filler (glass resin type if you are bridging holes).Use a little at a time & follow instructions on the tin.Sand until you get the shape you are after,then finish with a smooth filler (like P 3Cool.When sanded to desired shape & looking & feeling smooth,apply primer as per instructions on can,top coat (colour) & finally when paint has hardened clear laquer for a gloss finish.The important thing to remember is TAKE YOUR TIME.Plenty of tea breaks  WinkAlternativley,i have seen some scorpios fitted with chrome wheel arch covers designed for the MK3 granada.They fit the arches no problem,but in my opinion dont extend long enough down the length of the arch & look a bit odd.Some people have sanded them down & sprayed them body colour & they look like "flared " arches.Anyway whatever you decide,good luck  Grin
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
ScorpioGirl

I Love My CAR

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:58am »

You know what, im gonna give it a try when the weather gets better, dont fancy doing it in the cold, im really looking forward to it and yes i will take my time. I washed her yesterday and she still looks georgous, want a few more years out of her yet.  Smiley
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 12:43pm »

Go for it m8.Nothing ventured nothing gained ,as my old man used to say.There are body repair manuals available if you need a last minute xmas pressie idea  Wink.Good idea to wait until warmer weather though ,as filler & paint will take forever to dry this time of year
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 5:57pm »

Try galvifroide, I think thats how you spell it, paint it rather expensive but will stop it rusting. Make sure you work it well in. I dont know what sort of final finish you will get as I have only used it on sills and floors of cars with underseal on top.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.