Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 3:37am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Still troubled with poor idle »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Still troubled with poor idle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Still troubled with poor idle  (Read 549 times)
Mike_Floutier

'97 2.3 Ultima saloon lpg

View Profile Email

Still troubled with poor idle
« on: Dec 21st, 2007, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

Still haven't got to the bottom of my poor idling (hunting rather than mis-firing imho).

Firstly, many thanks to Highlander for the 2.0 IACV -  just for the record it does fit the 2.3 and it does work exactly the same as my existing one so that might be useful for someone in the future.

Anyway, back to the continuing idle problem. I've tried disconnecting the coil packs one at a time but there's no difference so I've ruled them out. Also I've replaced the HT leads as they had given trouble in the past. I've also replaced the plugs but again no change.

Oh, I should also mention that the hunting idle gets progressive less by: 1. engaging drive, 2. turning on the air-con, 3. turning on the heated screens etc

So, what am I left with?  

1. I understand that a leaking inlet manifold will cause poor idling but I'm not sure how to test for this - could someone tell me pleaseHuh

2. Also, I recall seeing something about "a loose hose on the EVAP canister causing poor idling - is this right, and if so would it apply when I'm operating on lpg?

Thanks for you help with this, I do need to sort it out as it's potentially embarrassing for a private hire driver - although I have been able to hide it by judicious of aircon etc and keeping my foot lightly on the throttle at traffic light etc.

Mike

Ps Have a great Christmas everyone!
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Re: Still troubled with poor idle
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 4:13pm »

An old fashioned way of checking for inlet leaks is to spray a little WD40 or similar around the area you suspect to be leaking (whilst engine is running).If the revs increase you have found your leak.Must stress though this is a very old fashioned method used on old cars but i would of thought the same idea applies.Unless anyone knows different  Huh
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 6:38am »

Certainly I have seen this method work on 'our' cars. One of our members used carb cleaner for the same effect, and it certainly 'affected' the performance.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 5:25pm »

I used unlit propane torch on mine, after all it's all fuel to the engine and burns quite nicely. But for obvious ('Elf and safety) reasons I wouldn't recommend you do this although it works great for finding cracked inlet hoses etc. Small amount of excess (unmetered) air will make the engine race above idle speed, any more and it'll start to run lumpy and eventually lean out to the point where it just dies because the ECU can't adjust the mixture for all the air the TPS and MAF isn't 'seeing'

Could also be an injector solenoid coil breaking down, it would affect the ability of the injector to open for really short pulses (like at idle). But again it's a stab in the dark, you might buy another set of injectors and just have the same issue Undecided
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 8:04am »

Some interesting tips on the subject. I have used fresh engine oil and watched excess smoke pour out of exhaust.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.