Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:17am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help! Desperately need a tool. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help! Desperately need a tool.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help! Desperately need a tool.  (Read 828 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Help! Desperately need a tool.
« on: Dec 29th, 2007, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My 2.0L 16v Ultima failed its MOT on a rear insulator bush (part number 1028329) which connects rear suspension assembly to car body. The bush is refered to in the Ford Europe service sheets on this site as "Insulator - Rear Suspension Crossmember - Remove and Install (one) (15 681 0)".
I have the drawings/instructions and I have the bushes. The problem is I can't find a garage that has the necessary tool to extract and replace the bush. The tool part number is 15-014. I have tried 6 different FMD's and none have this tool anymore. Apparantly it has a revised tool number under the Ford Europe designations. Also worthy of note is that the same tool was used on Sierra cars.
Does anyone have this tool or know of a garage that does?? I need to loan it -hire it- even buy it if necessary. My baby is off the road, please help!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Help! Desperately need a tool.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 2:58am »

I take it this is what you mean.....

.....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/suspension/RSuspInsulator.pdf

Not sure about the correct tool but bush removers of various sizes can be bought or ordered from good motor factors for around a tenner  Smiley

If it's any help, I acccidentely almost removed this bush when I replaced my rear springs a few months back. When bolting the suspension arm back up I accidentely mis-alligned the bush with the seat in the chassis & when I started bolting it up, the bush started to push out of the suspension arm  Roll Eyes
I realised my mistake when the bush was about halfway out  Roll Eyes, & so unbolted it, realigned it & bolted it back properly, but it was still halfway out  Undecided.... Thankfully the weight of the car managed to re-seat the bush properly & all is fine now  Grin

What I am saying is.....it's possible to use the weight of the car to push the bush out  Wink
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 10:05am »

OK, Sierra set up is almost identical - and I used the weight of the car with a wooden block ( offcut of 2 x 2 ) to squish the bush out by placing it above the bush and then jacking up the suspension crossmember - obviously you need at least 2 jacks, axle stands etc..and please DO take care as the car is rather heavy.  
To put the new bush it, put something like washing up liquid or silicone grease on the bush and the hole in the suspension crossmember - then squish it in - can't remember if I put the bush on top of the suspension crossmember and then jacked it up or if it was done from below.
Or you could use Powerflex bushes which are hard polyeurathane and I think come in 2 parts, pop 1/2 in from the top and the other 1/2 in from the bottom.
God luck !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 6:42pm »

Many thanks Scorpio_Mike and jonnycab for the responses. Taking the information from both your posts together, I think I get the idea of using the body weight to push the bush out but exactly how is confusing me. I don't see how a block of wood can make contact with the top of the bush.....surely the crossmember (which the bush sits into) is in the wayHuh? Huh
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 7:34pm »

Block of wood sits on top of the rubber bush, weight of car pushes the bush down through the hole in the suspension crossmember.
You may need to wedge or lever the crossmember down a bit using a bit of 4x2 or similar in order to get the bit of wood in on top of the bush.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 8:10pm »

Aha!! Its making sense now. I assumed from the drawings that the 'socket' in which the bush sits into is enclosed like a dome over the top of the bush (minus small hole for the bolt) hence wood piece would not make contact with top of bush. What you are saying is that its not entirely closed at the top. Many many thanks for educating me on this....I will go and have a closer look in the morning..cheers!
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 9:14pm »

Looking at the PDF it looks a closed socket for the bush, but if you click on the pictures here it appears open.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/suspension.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 8:51pm »

Just out of interest, how does the dodgy rear bush affect the handling of the car, or is there no real noticable difference ?  Smiley
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 6:42pm »

Great news! I have successfully replaced the bushes following the advice of those members on the forum. Many Thanks!!! The procedure I followed was: Undo guide plate and remove it, jack up chassis (body) where guide plate was positioned, pull down suspension cross member by hand (quite easy), place 2x2x2 wood block above bush, place another jack under suspension arm and jack up till it takes the vehicle weight, bush pops out with a loud bang as it gives.
Installing new bush: clean housing, spray new bush with WD40, press in by hand about quarter inch just to hold it in place, use jack with bit of wood under new bush and jack up till new bush fully sits in housing, put second jack under suspension arm, remove first jack, fit guide plate, release second jack.
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 6:44pm »

Jonnycab, there is some noticeable difference to the car's handling. It seems slightly more positive now and the weird sensation that the back end of the car is 'floating' on ice and not connected to the front end has gone away.
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 6:47pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention one important thing for anyone attempting this procedure. Apart from making doubly sure the car is always secure etc, when lowering the suspension arm after guide plate is removed be careful that the ABS wire is not under strain.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 10:56pm »

Interesting, I had contemplated changing these - were they expensive?
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 7:47am »

Hi 'Tompion', bushes are part number 1028329 and cost me £19.09 +VAT each. On removing the old ones I found the nearside was perfectly OK and offside was 'tired' with some rubber coming away from the metal bits.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 10:08am »

Thanks, I'll have a close look at them - when it's warmer.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.