Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 7:32am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PAS weap and the Brake Judder. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   PAS weap and the Brake Judder.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PAS weap and the Brake Judder.  (Read 745 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

PAS weap and the Brake Judder.
« on: Dec 30th, 2007, 11:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The PAS....
Long ago I was loosing quite a bit of ATF from the power steering reservoir - maybe half a pint over two months, with a nice puddle on the garage floor. I seemed to fix it by tightening the hose clip half a turn on the small pipe. To make sure it was resolved, I cleaned the area around the pipe and tied a bit of toilet tissue around the pipes under the resevoir.  

It seemed to be fixed, or at least it has taken it 12 months to fall from the Max to the Min mark and I'm still seeing a few drips on the floor. The tissue seemed almost, but not quite dry. However the area below seemed quite to be quite moist. Pump shaft area was dry, large flexy pipe into pump very slightly moist but the metal pipe exiting the pump was quite oily, but no obvious source found.

So today I decided to take better look. I syphoned the reservoir dry, into a clean container and took the reservoir off completely. I gave it a good cleanup then wound some ptfe tape around the pipe spiggots to improve the seal. tightened the jubilee clip on the flexi pipe on the top of the pump - it was quite loose, allowing the pipe to turn. I then had a go at tightening the metal pipe's hidden union below the pump - which had seemed to be the most moist area. Very tight it was and not easy to get a spanner to it, but I managed an extra 1/8th of a turn.

I then gave the entire area a good clean down, to make it a bit easier to spot any fresh leakages. The rest of the under bonnet area looks like a car fresh from the factory - odd how some cars can look so weather beaten after just a few months and yet others...

I wonder if that will put an end to its slight leaks?  

The Brake Judder....
Again long ago, I mentioned I had been on the point of replacing the front disks due to a worsening judder at the steering as I braked from speed. I went on to mention I had read of a fix and tried it - as in getting the brakes good and hot by repeated acceleration and hard braking. I reported it had seemed to cure the problem almost completely, apart from the very mildest of wobbles as the brakes were initially applied.

Well, that fix seems to have remained permanent and even the slight wobble on initially applying the brakes has now gone completely.  

MOT due just as soon as I can fix an appointment up - wish her luck!

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: PAS weap and the Brake Judder.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 12:32am »

Yes.   Good Luck for the MOT.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 9:44am »

Hi Harry.  Smiley

For months now I have been wondering  Huh how and where my PAS fluid was dissapearing.  Due to my Cossy being sick, Autobox waiting repair and being a believer that cars standing still on the drive kill them I hav been running the engine for a while every week; I switch on all electrics including the cc and "work"everything,  occasionally I move her a few feet back and forth turning the steering.  Then switch off and leaver her till the next time.  Then I noticed that the PAS fluid had nearly dissapeared!  No sign of fluid on the ground and all Unions around the resevoir dry.  Well the other day I decided enough was enough so I turned the car around so that I could see what I was doing and had an investigatio, and like yourself found that underneath the pump all is not well, wet and mucky, also there seems to be a loose pipe on top of the pump as it is also wet on top.  So now I am waiting for suitable weather to fix the problem.

I believe that the fluid loss only occurs when the steering is used not when just the engine being run.  I did not notice any evidence of fluid on the drive as upon "working" the car I just walked away, the rain washing the evidence away.

Happy New Year  

Mike N
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 12:10pm »

ooooooh, when i had a power steering leak (the whole lot in 2.5 miles) it cost me a new steering rack  Sad
Nunns. i dont know if you'll only lose fluid when the steering is being applied as the pump is being driven when the engine is running though you'll obviously lose more when applying the steering due to pressure.
Harry, a year and half ago i started getting bad brake judder, turns out part of the offside disc was missing! only a small chunk, but enough. i found a company on ebay selling pattern discs; £32.00 the pair, they came with pads and the price included postage. someone else on here used them and said they warped after 6 months, so i thought as long as they get me out a hole then i can get some OEM discs, but a year and half later and they're still working perfectly....
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 2:32am »

The large pipe going down from the steering reservoir is prone to leaking due to the jubilee clip not being tight at the reservoir end  Wink

A leak from a steering pinion hydraulic pipe indicates that an 'O' ring may need replacing on "said" pipe....savvy  Grin
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 10:43pm »

on Dec 31st, 2007, 9:44am, Nunnspoet wrote:
I believe that the fluid loss only occurs when the steering is used not when just the engine being run.  I did not notice any evidence of fluid on the drive as upon "working" the car I just walked away, the rain washing the evidence away.

Happy New Year  

Mike N

And a Happy New Year to All.

I think that engine under panel/tray thingummy can probably catch and hold quite a bit of oil, before it will spill over onto the ground.

I had an accumulation of oil on the chassis section at the bottom of the inner wing and along the solid pipe from the pump. A bit of an oily mark on the garage floor directly under it (OS), but more of a pool at the other side (NS) where it seems to have run off the engine undertray.  

Was Johnycab suggesting that the apparent leak from the union below the pump - the rigid pipe, might be a blown O ring?

[Goes out to the cold garage to tie a bit of toilet tissue around the rigid pipe below pump - as a tell tale for leaks]    
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:12am »

Hi Harry....I was suggesting that it may be a possibility that one of the rack hydraulic pipes may be leaking at the pinion.  

I had this problem a few months back & on pulling the pipe out the O ring was almost non-existant. The whole area was rather messy with PAS fluid, so it wasn't evident where the leak was from at first, until it was all cleaned up  Smiley

It was just a thought  Smiley
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:21pm »

Ah, right thanks - no I'm fairly certain it is coming from higher up. The rack area is dry, it is just the area around the bottom of the inner wing/ pipe leading down from the pump which is wet.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:38am »

Good luck for the MOT  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:10pm »

She passed again, but with a couple of advisories for rear damper pivot slight wear plus weak damper, an oil leak (probably the remnants of ATF running off the engine under cover) and it only just scrapped through the emissions test with a suggestion that it might be an injector needing cleaning. I was struggling to hold a steady speed on the throttle which sort of confirms something is not right.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.