Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« removal of heater matrix?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   removal of heater matrix??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: removal of heater matrix??  (Read 625 times)
a11mcr

1995 Scorpio cosworth 24V ultima

View Profile

removal of heater matrix??
« on: Jan 12th, 2008, 5:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all. how do you remove/flush  the heater matrix? i think mine is blocked as i am getting no heat but the expansiontank is boiling over and the pipes are cold.
cheers mark
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: removal of heater matrix??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 7:03pm »

Its all on the main site HERE

the rest of the heater workshop is HERE

Hope this helps.  
I know some people have done this massive job but it is possible with care and patience.  

To just flush the system take the top and bottom hoses off the heater wher ethey go through the bulkhead and attach a garden hose and flush with mains water... It may be advisable to fit a smal peice to the outlet as well so that the engine compartment does not get too wet. and then reverse the pipes and flush the other way.

The header tank boiling over is not really a good sign. Is ther any oil in the water? Boiling over is ussually a sign that the head gasket may have gone.

Others will no doubt advise as well.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
strebor

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:19pm »

is the outlet the top or the bottom?
IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:40pm »

thanks. i dont think the headgasket has gone,i think it is boiling over because there is no flow through the matrix also i dont think the waterpump is pumping as good as it should as there does not seem to be a good flow rate through the radiator  Huh (seems a pain in the ass to get the matrix out). i will flush it in the morning and take it from there  Sad
mark
IP Logged
TTPmaverick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 10:02am »

heater matrix blocking WILL not make your expansiontank boil over  

the only thing you will get is no heat in the car  

1st is the car overheating ie. is the gauge going in to the red? if so how quick?  

IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 10:52am »

Hi the temp gauge stays in the middle when stood still but when driving it stays on the blue.
i drove 150 mile on thursday and the gauge never got near a quater just sat above the blue mark but if stuck in traffic it only goes half way.
i left it ticking over yesterday for an hour and it stayed half way but he heater was only warm Huh .
just going out now to try and flush the system.
will let you all know Tongue
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 3:06pm »

Hi,

Thermostat stuck ?  try a new one they're not dear, but if it turns out to be a matrix don't waste your time trying to flush it etc, just fit a new one.  It is a dash out job but provided you are careful locating all the screws you should be able to do the whole job in about 5 hours.  I did my cossie ultima and it is lovely and warm now.

Regards Dave.
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 5:35pm »

Right, flushed the system (thermostat removed) and the matrix, water flows through both ends ok,the temp gauge goes to the middle and the heater is warmer now but when i drive anywhere to gauge goes back to the blue also the water pipes are still not getting all that hot apart from the one on the thermostat housing.
Also it is making my LPG go funny as the vapouriser is freezing up (because of the lack of flow).
Anyone got any ideas?
Should i change the water pump? (i have a spare).
Cheers
Mark Cheesy
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 6:20pm »

hi there

you have said earlier that you don't think there a great flow from the water pump? how do you know? did you run the engine with the thermostat housing off (running water though the expansion tank)?

that's the best way of flushing the system on the 2.3, though it's not without risk. don't keep the engine running for too long and remember the alternator is right below!!

have you taken the inlet and outlet pipes of the vaporiser? what was the flow like?

hth
IP Logged
a11mcr

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 11:46pm »

Hi, it seems there is not much flow through the vaporiser.
i just removed the small top hose from the expansion tank and fed water inrothe tank that way.
I will try your way on Monday.
Just to re-cap, you remove the thermostat housing (3 bolts)then fill the tank with clean water and run the engine  Huh
Cheers
mark
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 6:51am »

hi  there

yes and no. take the thermostat housing off (3 bolts) and remove the thermostat. stick your garden hose into the expansion take and
keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times keep the water running at all times
. then start the engine. run it for no more than 20 seconds at a time. it's the only way to get enough pressure through the system to clear it. when your not running the engine, put the hose in the thermostat housing and clear that out.

as i said earlier, the alternator is right below where the water will go, so be careful. water goes everywhere.

main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running main point is to keep the system full of water while the engine is running
. this will take upto 20 mins to clear everything out (if it's going to work, that is).

once your sure that you've got everything out, refit the thermostat. in your case, i'd change it. the 2.3's fail a lot of the time. bolt up the housing.

refill with antifreeze/water (50%/50%) and run engine for 10-15mins with the cap off to get rid of any air.

hth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.