Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bumpers »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Bumpers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bumpers  (Read 1163 times)
bigmark

born to drive

View Profile

Bumpers
« on: Jan 15th, 2008, 7:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

did ford stop makeing bumpers for the scorpio, my friend had his wrote off because of the front bumper.
IP Logged
carmow

Converted !

View Profile Email

Re: Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 7:07pm »

Ford still make them, but when you try to price them up against the value of the car it must not exceed 2/3rds of the value for insurance purposes. ie if the car is valued at £1000 it must not cost any more than £666 to fix it, thats All parts,labour and admin.
IP Logged

2.3 ultima auto saloon
bigmark

born to drive

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 7:33pm »

how can you find out what you car is valued at, when the insurance company ask's whats it worth and you say £1,400. and then thay say it book's it at £800 if its wrote off, and thats is all they will pay out. so does anyone no where they get there value's from.
IP Logged
mi_scorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 9:01pm »

Hi all I was told by a friend of a source of fibre glass bumpers for scorps. Will get the name of the company and post it if any interest.
IP Logged
carmow

Converted !

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 10:03pm »

for insurance purposes the value is usually bottom book value, book value meaning the lowest price the trade would pay at auction etc. If the car is in exceptional condition they will pay bottom retail / top book. Your bottom value and their's will be conciderably different. I buy an awful lot of cars at auction and can give you a 'realistic' price if you ever want one.
IP Logged

2.3 ultima auto saloon
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 10:24pm »

Which is also another reason why you shouldn't accept an insurance companies first offer.

My Sierra got written off - I said it was worth £1000, ins comp said £600, I said no, they offered 700, I said no they offered £800 I aid stop yanking my chain and I was going to the Ins ombundsmen, they offered £950 and I accepted.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 4:24pm »

Not quite sure where some insurance companys get there "book" values from.Early scorpios (95-96) wont actually have a book value as they dont appear in the trade values book.(Got a mate in the trade  to check).The only other point of referance for price comparison is the motoring weeklys (Auto trader,exchange & mart ,etc).But even then prices can vary wildly,from as little as £300 to £12,000 (seriously).Im insured through the AA & have a agreed valuation of £2000 which had to go to an independant accesor to be valued.The figure was based on.... Condition,mileage,rarety of trim level & colour & availability,& believe me it took a whole lot of arguing to get that figure.(only wanted to value it at £1000),but after i convinced him i would probably never  find another exactly the same he relented (probably got fed up with me) Wink.Hopefully i will never have to claim but at least i have the assurance that i wont be short changed if the worst was to happen.
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 5:19pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 7:00pm, bigmark wrote:
did ford stop makeing bumpers for the scorpio, my friend had his wrote off because of the front bumper.

I had one fitted to my car recently after a Wally woman crashed into it, she paid for the damage, cost of bumper about £270.... Facelift variety, new headlight cira £250 and foga and indicator lights, repairs to wing etc cost her about £950.... Looks great now (Under the muck)  Grin

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
bigmark

born to drive

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 5:45pm »

on Jan 16th, 2008, 5:19pm, peteHull wrote:

I had one fitted to my car recently after a Wally woman crashed into it, she paid for the damage, cost of bumper about £270.... Facelift variety, new headlight cira £250 and foga and indicator lights, repairs to wing etc cost her about £950.... Looks great now (Under the muck)  Grin

hth
Pete

and all the parts are from ford?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 5:46pm »

We had an agreed valuation on the Capri. When it got hit they offered rock bottom (£300 minus fees) at first, took 9 months of wrangling but they eventually coughed up the agreed value plus costs, which came to about £2500 total, and we got to keep the car without it being classified as a write-off.

But what about the value you enter when you fill in the policy form? I had the Scorp at £2500 because that's what I felt it was worth to me, mileage condition etc. What they would've paid is something else but surely if you enter that amount and they agree to cover you and then the car gets totalled, surely that's what they should pay Undecided

About the bumper, I asked my local dealer before I knew about this site and they wanted £370 for the front Shocked. I repaired it myself, you couldn't see the damage once it was done Smiley. Other than that, just pick up a decent second hand one...it's only a bit of plastic, a coat of filler and some aerosol paint and you'll never know the difference..

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 8:57pm »

Very slightly off topic,I had a lorry stolen in London one night whilst I was in digs.The insurance company offered me half of the value for which I had it covered.I eventually got 75% of it's value.If they can wriggle out of paying at all they will!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.