Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« brake problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   brake problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: brake problem  (Read 1109 times)
cuzza

NEVER SURRENDER 95 ultima 24v shogun 3.5gdi

View Profile

brake problem
« on: Jan 18th, 2008, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello everyone  ....i have a brake proplem on 24v i am restoring i have put on new disks and pads all round changed brake pipes on back and also front drivers side and new flexipipes ...brakes have been bled as per recommended ....however brake pedal is soft for first half of travel when engine running ....without engine running brake pedal is solid with minimal travel as you would expect on a auto ...i have tested servo and no proplems there (pedal comes straight up when you stop engine) there are no leaks anywhere and i am suspecting master cylinder as i changed the fluid in the system and master cylinders are fickle at the best of times .
can anybody offer advice before i change M/C  Smiley
ps happy new year to all
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: brake problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 7:35pm »

hi there

to me, it sounds like air is still in the system. i'd have another go at bleeding them again. Undecided

hth
IP Logged
cuzza

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 8:05pm »

i have bled brakes 4 times ....same result each time   Huh
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 8:25pm »

Long shot but a possibility that there's some air trapped in the ABS pump if you had the system drained? Undecided

I know it can happen and there's a way to purge the pump via software but it's normally when the pump has been stored and drained.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 8:29pm »

hi there

how have you bleed them? there's two ways. see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/brakesmanual.htm

hth
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 8:39pm »

A few suggestions...

1. The pedal will feel quite soft when the servo is working, compared to no servo action.

2. New pads and disks will give this feel, until they settle in anyway and properly conform to the disk.

3. Are you sure you don't have a pad misaligned, or a backing strip to the pad (what's the correct name for these?) - I'm thinking along the lines of perhaps a pad not being square to the disk, being pushed against the disk and springing back again when you take your foot off the brake. That would cause extra pedal travel.  

4. I think I read something on this site about the braking system (ABS unit ?) being quite difficult to bleed fully.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
cuzza

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 3:47pm »

thanks all Grin  i have car upon 4 stands for easy access and have had everything in and out several times system was never drained of fluid, but all fluid has been changed by purging ... i now wot your saying about disks and pads and brakes work well but going for MOT soon and i just know it will fail on excess travel .....i am unsure about the two ways to bleed brakes ....would bleeding brakes with car running make any difference ?
think i will replace master cylinder and see wot happens cannot over do it when it comes to brake  Cool
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 4:39pm »

That's how I do mine, purge the fluid from furthest to nearest wheel with an Ezibleed working from the spare tyre. My ABS pump was wrapped in a plastic bag and left in the boot for over a week so lost quite a bit of fluid and I didn't have any trouble with air in it afterwards...I just heard that it is possible for the air to get caught in there Undecided

Good luck, hope you get it sorted Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 6:23pm »

Cuzza....

You mentioned its an auto - the fact that it is an auto makes absolutely no difference to the feel of the brakes.

You say that you have it up on axle stands - could you perhaps get someone to watch i turn, each of the four sets of pads for movement as you press the brake with the engine running? That is just to confirm that nothing is moving/ bending/twisting as you apply the pressure.

Regarding the extra travel when the engines runs versus minimal travel when its not...

In my younger days I too was fooled by thinking that the soft pedal might mean air in the system - when I first came across servo systems. If I'm in any doubt now, I test it without the engine running. If there really is air in the system it will certainly show up without the servo in action. If the pedal is solid, doesn't pump up nor gradually go down under sustained pressure - then it is as it should be.  

Remember once it is actually on the road, it will feel completely different - in that you will be barely touching the brake pedal to stop the car.

In other words I'm fairly confident the sponginess you are describing, is simply you comparing the servo action versus the no servo action - the actual sponginess is simply the flexible pipes swelling and calipers bending slightly due to the extreme pressure you are applying via the servo.  

If it feels solid then, I accept it as being OK. Take for a bit of a run, bed the brakes in and then reassess the spongy feeling.

On the subject of brakes, it is a good test of the system to apply extreme p3
ressure on the pedal occaisionally with engine running and car stood - as a pressure test of the system. Better to provoke a pipe or hose to burst when you are stood, than on the road.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 5:48pm »

I would give the new pads  a few dozen miles to bed-in  then  deal with  the spongy pedal later.

What bleed system are you using  ?  those one-man kits are quite good.

Remember them pesky pimples on the rear pads, makes sure they are aligned
   with the  cut-outs  in the  pistons . Roll Eyes

IP Logged
TTPmaverick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 9:23pm »

a quick tip if you clip of your flexy hose's 1 at a time and push your brake pedal if you get a good pedal on 1 but not the other 3 the problem will be with that brake
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 9:32pm »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 9:23pm, TTPmaverick wrote:
a quick tip if you clip of your flexy hose's 1 at a time and push your brake pedal if you get a good pedal on 1 but not the other 3 the problem will be with that brake

Good point!

You can either get a special hose clamping tool, or (carefully) use a self grip wrench by covering the jaws with something soft so it doesn't damage the hose.  
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
cuzza

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 6:39pm »

Smileythanks every one will let you know what happens after checks ....... Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.