Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« petrol in sump..???? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   petrol in sump..????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: petrol in sump..????  (Read 720 times)
lucydog

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

petrol in sump..????
« on: Feb 15th, 2008, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi, today i checked the oil level as i was going to have a mechanic look at an engine bay fuel leak. as i checked the dipstick it was dripping with neat petrol..Huh?? does this mean the engine is scrap??. thanks.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: petrol in sump..????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 2:56pm »

hi there

see the reply from highlander re the fuel pump.... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1201436538;start=15#15

if it was running all the time, petrol could be in the engine and leaking out where it can.

don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out. don't under any circumstances, start the engine or the electrics until someone has checked it out.

petrol is a great degreaser for one thing.
and blows up when annoyed. Roll Eyes

hth
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 5:33pm »

lucydog.
Has engine been running O.K.?If it has been rough and smokey for a while an injector could be dribbling and flooding the cylinders.Just something else for you to worry about!
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 7:34pm »

well it will give the oil ways a good clean out...
IP Logged

Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 9:28pm »

I own the car now  Grin

I drained the sump on Sunday morning and got nearly 2 Gallon's of very black petrol out  Shocked

IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 4:24pm »

Got the engine running today Grin

and it seems to be leaking petol around injector number 1 area  

IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 8:47am »

if its external hows it getting in sump, could be leaking injector, but that would need fuel pressure in system, has vehicle been standing & repeatedly started, over a period of time it will get 'choked' up eventually leading to petrol diluting the oil.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 9:16am »

Not sure how fuel got in the sump ?
I removed the fuel rail of the manifold yesterday an switched the ignition on and off to presurise the system and no fuel came out so I can only guess it got into the sump by flooding the cylinders through atempts to start the engine ?

When i initialy tried to start the engine yesterday it was just cranking and nothing was hapening so i tested for coil voltage and injector voltage and for a spark from the coils  and all was well after this the engine was firing  the top loom is in a poor state bare wires etc so i can only asume me moving the wires to test for voltage re-made a connection ?

I will be ordering new injector seals later  
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 9:51am »

Just a thought but since the fuel system is pressurised, could a leaky injector allow fuel to leak into the cylinder which would then run past the piston rings and into the sump ?
I agree it would be odd for so much fuel to be found in the sump but...
Could the dodgy wiring have made the fuel pump run with the ignition off ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 9:52am »

A leaking diaphragm in the fuel regulator could allow fuel into the inlet manifold via the vacuum pipe.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 6:27pm »

Took the fuel rail off today and noticed the plastic fuel feed pipe was loose on the brass fitting on the end of the fuel rail .
 That 9" ish long pipe with the fittings on the end is over £40 from ford  Shocked so i replaced it with a piece of high pressure fuel pipe 2 hd jubbilee clips and the fittings off the old pipe and now all seems well  Smiley
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 6:28pm »

I am hopeing the petrol in the sump was just from failed starting attempts  .. we will see
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.