Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brake lights staying on!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Brake lights staying on!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brake lights staying on!!!  (Read 475 times)
philgood

2.9l 12v Auto (95 M) Ultima Saloon (Aubergine)

View Profile Email

Brake lights staying on!!!
« on: Feb 16th, 2008, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Travelling home, after a day in France, after about 250 mile I lost Cruise Control, I didn’t think much about it until I got home and found that my brake lights were constantly on which obviously was causing the Cruise Control problem!

I noticed that when I depressed the brake pedal they would get slightly brighter and would dim very slightly when I took my foot off again.

I then turned off and back on the ignition this extinguished the brake lights until I touched the brake pedal again which recreated the fault as before!

I presume that the lights are getting a feed (possibly via a relay or module) after the foot pedal break switch, which must be being energised by the brake switch being operated!

Where can I find the Cruise Control unit?
What else is in the breaking system that I could isolate/check?
Any other thoughts as to what to look for would be gratefully received.

2.9 - 12v – Saloon - Ultima (M reg) 95
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Brake lights staying on!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 6:52pm »

Could be a faulty brake pedal switch or the plate that the switch is mounted on has come loose (this happened to me)  Undecided

Also, lack of cruise control could also be the cruise control switch that is also mounted (as far as I remember) on the same plate, so it touches the brake pedal.....

......The two problems may be related or maybe the plunger on each switch needs to be pulled out  Undecided

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 7:04pm »

The cruise control unit is under the bonnet slam panel on the offside of the radiator,there is a green relay in the top of the glovebox behind a pull down flap for the cruise control.
IP Logged
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 8:05am »

Surely if it was a faulty pedal switch as soon as the ignition was switched on the brake lights would come on or would not operate at all! Also I would not notice the brake lights switching from dim to bright and back again when operating the pedal!

I am planning to isolate the Cruise Control to eliminate that from the circuit, but the earliest free time I have will be Monday so if any one has any further thoughts before then please let me know.

Regards

Phil
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 9:18am »

Have you checked the rear light cluster for water ingress?. A dodgy seal will allow water in and also there is a known problem with loom damage adjacent to the offisde hinge of the boot lid. If the loom is not secured fully back the hinge can contact the loom and fracture the internal wiring. You may have to remove the 'outer' covering to check. If you were loaded with luggage,or beer!! Wink, etc something may have been dislodged.  Smiley.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 10:04pm »

The actual cruise control electronics module is located above your shin (right I think) as you are sat in the driving seat. Drop the soft trim panel down and look on top of the tray which runs above it - the small black box installed there.

It sounds as if it might more likely be the brake light switch on the foot pedal as others suggested, or possibly a short in the loom which passes along the boot hinge.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 1:50pm »

I went round my garage with all good intentions only to find that the problem was no longer present!

Had a quick poke around, looms and switches seem ok, but was unable to recreate brake light fault, test drove the car and the Cruise Control was working as well!

I found the green relay in the glove box in case the fault reoccurs while out driving but as they say; if it aint broke…………..
I also located the black module above drivers shins but couldn’t find one under the bonnet slam panel although there was a module near this location on top of the driver side inner wing about 2” long & 1” square is this something to do with the Cruise Control?  

I would still be grateful of any feed back or if anyone can shed any light on this problem for the future.
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 2:02pm »

The unit GOZZ refers to is the actual control unit. This is fitted between the o/s headlamp and the rad and has the cable attached to the top of it going to the throttle linkage.  Wink Glad to hear the fault appears cured but I'd bet money on disturbed wiring in the boot area.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
deconick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 6:31pm »

hi have a read of what happened to me,its on page 3 and called more electrical problems it may help
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.