Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Timing Chain Tensioners 24V Cosworth »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Timing Chain Tensioners 24V Cosworth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Timing Chain Tensioners 24V Cosworth  (Read 716 times)
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

Timing Chain Tensioners 24V Cosworth
« on: Mar 4th, 2008, 10:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Replacing Timing Chain Tensioners, which are beginning to rattle me a lot! pun intended Undecided

Can anyone offer me some do's and don'ts on this job that I am about to embark on.

Anybody got a link or two to a diagram the of block where they live? [I am talking about the tensioners]  Cool

Cheers in advance Wink
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Timing Chain Tensioners 24V Cosworth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 6:44am »

hi there

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24vrebuild.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/timingchain29.htm

hth
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 7:45am »

Hi there,  

Do you want to do them yourself ?

have a read (3 pages) HERE

It's a straight forward job.

You will need to dismantle all the intake, radiators, AC pump, steering pump, starter motor, alternator, all vacuum piping, fuel rails, pulleys and belts. After this you will be able to open the cam covers, water pump, front subframe, oil pan, distribution cap.

Now some recomandations:
1) check the wireing between the heads, mine was a total mess so i refurbished it fully
2) clean the injectors (take them off the ramp etc.)
3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!! 3) whatever you do don't change the lockwashers or if you do check each old one with the new one !!!

3) check the sump on the oil pump and clean the plastic derbies  
4) Also readTHIS
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 8:56am »

make sure you get all new 'O' rings for coolant manifold between heads, need new injector seals also, after fitting tensioners they need 'activating' , make sure sprockets are good,(they have been in short supply). MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE SUMP TO CLEAN OUT DEBRIS.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 10:59am »

Hi all - back in Oct last year I received this from Snoopy...

"At a guess Timing chains .. Might just need new tensioners for the chains which is quite an easy DIY Job have a look HERE Others on the site might be able to help more"

All I really want to do is locate these tensioners and replace them if this is possible Huh  It seems that everybody points towards the tensioners as the cause of the start up short rattle, I have been using the WOT starting method during the winter with a good deal of success - but having remembered Snoopy's reply last year to my "bag of hammers" posting I thought I had better start thinking about tackling the job of DIY replacement.

btw thanx for all your input so far Wink
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:09pm »

I have the tensioners, blades and all the gaskets needed to do the very same job - haven't plucked up the courage yet though Sad  Hopefully, the engine will make it to May when I have a couple of weeks booked off.
IP Logged
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:17pm »

Hi Amigafan,  

on Mar 5th, 2008, 12:09pm, amigafan2003 wrote:
I have the tensioners, blades and all the gaskets needed to do the very same job - haven't plucked up the courage yet though Sad  Hopefully, the engine will make it to May when I have a couple of weeks booked off.

Could you send me a list and the cost of all the parts you have bought in readiness for this job - and, what do you envisage doing to fit these tensioners which I note are fixed on with 2 x 10mm bolts.
I am a bit in the dark as to what needs doing  Cool
Cheers
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.