Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Autobox problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Autobox problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Autobox problems  (Read 1613 times)
trol

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Autobox problems
« on: Mar 10th, 2008, 9:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The autobox in my 12v Cologne is acting weird.

When cold it doesn't engage, only after putting the stick in P, N and D a couple of times, pushing the gas pedal also helps a lot.

When warm it gets better unless I have to wait for a traffic light. Most of the times it only picks up after I push the gas a little bit.
When driving normally all is ok, but when the pedal hits the metal it goes bananas, staying far too long in second gear, shifts to third and overdive right after third.

Also I get the impression the box is slipping, it uses more gas than my old MK3 Cologne

The shifting itself feels ok, nice and smooth.
The oil is red and there's enough of it.

I'm hoping it's a sensor or solenoid, what do you guys think?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Autobox problems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:06pm »

Try reading through the Automatic gearbox section HERE.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:18pm »

One thing that springs to mind as you say the oil is clean. If it’s had an oil & filter change, the original filter bolt needs to be shorter for the new filter otherwise it won’t seal properly.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 7:25am »

Could be somethingas simple as brake bands need adjusting , but it its like that from cold does sound more like a sticking solenoid or as suggested above ...BUT check the oil level carefully when HOT and engine running LOW ATF fluid cause symptoms like you describe.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 7:43am »

Details of the Brake bands etc is all HERE. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
trol

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 4:27pm »

Errrr Undecided
Just bought a bottle of fluid, its very red.
Compared to this, the oil in my box looks brown.
Time for a rebuild I guess Grin
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 7:04pm »

Maybe just a filter and ATF fluid change will cure your problems ....

Cheaper than a rebuild and easier to do . and with the 12v the exhaust does NOT need to be removed to get the gearbox sump off  .. Make sure everything is kept VERY VERY CLEAN.... Good luck

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
trol

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 7:14pm »

Thanks, I will give it a try Smiley
IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:20am »

i,v just had my box fluid and filter changed as i was experiencing the same problems and since the change all is well the fluid in my box was nearly black i,m changing it again in a week to make sure  all the old is flushed out dont despair things always seem worse than they acctually are good luck  
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:27am »

I also had huge problems with my cossie auto box, slippage, thumps, reversing taking 2 seconds to engage etc. It was all fixed with a partial oil change. The oil in the box was black but was still smelling mineral. I have added a supplementary cooler and i'll change the oil again. It's now smooth as silk, no slippage, nu thumps, reverse engages instantly. So before doing major work on the box, do a proper oil/filter change.

Ohh i need to mention that on diverse specifications of auto boxes and ATF oil it's stated that the friction modifiers oin the oil lose their properties and the oil also oxidate at about 60.000 km ~ 37.500 miles. A major factor in oil oxidation is temperature. 9 from 10 boxes fail and need overhauling because of overheating and oil loosing it's properties.

PS: I found that Valvoline makes an ATF Dexron 3 / Mercon oil with the exact specification of the Scorpio auto box (for early models) (build date up to August ’96) ESP-M2C166-H
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 10:38am »

Interesting feature I found on a website :

As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:37am »

...and 175 degrees F means 79.4 degrees C. Have you ever touched a cossie auto box radiator ? Well it will take away you skin !!!

Ford has given a TSB regarding 2.0 and 2.9 I models to have a auxiliary cooling radiator, not to talk about the 2.5 TD Scorpio which has a huge radiator and an electric fan. So it seems after all that the box on the Scorpio is not such a bad unit, only that it's cooling capability was designed by an accountant with economy in mind !
IP Logged

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:39pm »

Shocked  

All very well but what everybody always forgets before imparting advice on these units is 3 major issues:-

1)  2.9 12v has only 2 solenoids, 1 for converter lock and the other for 4th gear so sticking solenoids is out of the question here.

2)  Contaminated, or dirty, oil is due to particles of friction material which has worn off the linings.  An oil change wont replace worn linings.

3)  Unless it's been fiddled with, brake bands will not need adjusting during the life of the transmission.

HTH

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
trol

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 6:02pm »

Found the problem:
There's ATF in the vacuum pipe to the engine Grin
IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 8:58pm »

forgive my ignorance but where is the vacuum pipe what is it what does it do nd how does it affect the auto box ,most importantly of all how easy expensive is it to rectify  Grin Huh Grin Huh Embarassed
IP Logged
trol

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 10:32pm »

Read this topic Cheesy
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1161198219;start=
IP Logged
blue2

1995 Cosworth 24v & 2008 Mondeo Estate

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 8:54pm »

Re Fluid in the Vac pipe to the engine - as you probably now know the diaphragm in the modulator valve on the side of the box has sprung a lealkand the engine is happily sucking in and burning the ATF - will also mess up the changes of course. I had this problem on an earlier 12V Granada - not too dificult to get at on the 12V I think, not heard of this problem for a long time. Smiley Smiley
IP Logged
blue2

1995 Cosworth 24v & 2008 Mondeo Estate

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 9:34pm »

Ref lCossie 24V Box, had an intermittent problem with poor gear changes for a couple of years now but worse since beginning of this year and the speedo started reading low when cold (OK after 20 Mins running). Speedo problem led me to checking the VSS (NO Error Codes logged) but driving with OBD-2 package connected showed varying output. Replacing the VSS has cured all the gearbox problems and fixed the Speedo. I had previously cleaned/swopped the MAF and checked all the wiring but found no problem with these. Strangely enough I had the VSS fail on my older 12V Granada only 6 months ago - they both now have the new plastic type.
BTW - I am logged as a Newbie but just because I only recently rejoined this forum - actually an early contributor to the site & loads of experience on 6 cylinder Fords.
Anyhow if you have autobox problems and the old metal typ VSS it is worth a good check - it works at very low speeds and should give 8 pulses per revolution.
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 4:09pm »

@ stevie

There are two types of boxes on the scorpio, as i remember you have a 2.3 which means that it equipped withe the A4LDE which is  electronically controlled so there's no vacuum on it. Same goes for the 2.0 and the 2.9 24V. Only the 2.9 12V has vacuum and i believe the diesel versions are the same.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.