Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« engine temp loom »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   engine temp loom
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: engine temp loom  (Read 525 times)
meatman

MOGIL0
View Profile Email

engine temp loom
« on: Mar 16th, 2008, 2:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi
its been a while since ive been on the forum i bought an omega thinking it would be a good replacement for the scorpio what a mistake that has been dont do it !!!!!
anyway ive bought myself another scorpio a cosworth 2.9 ghia there are a few niggles with it but at 400 quid i couldnt argue .
anyway the main problem i have with it is i think the wiring loom that services the ect sensor and temp gauge sensor
on starting the car the temp gauge goes straight to red if i unplug the temp gauge sender unit it goes back down to blue the insulation on this cable is not too bad but it is cracked and missing in some places
however when i looked at the ect wiring it is almost bare for the entire length of the cable and all the wiring is twisted so cables are touching each other
i have tried to insulate these cables as best i can with tape etc but to no avail i am thinking that there may be more damage to these cables where they join the main loom  
what i need to know is there an easy repair to this problem without having to replace the whole loom
i dare not drive the car at the moment for fear of over heating as the fans do not seem to come on i have put the aircon on to see if that gets them moving but no joy

cheers mark
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

Re: engine temp loom
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:45pm »

Hi,

What you require is a new "fuel cut off loom", the correct Ford Parts Catalogue description.  This is the engine and gearbox loom, and is still available if you ask for the right thing as above "  " .

Some forum members have repaired them but it is a long job entailing a lot of messing around and in my opinion it is quicker and easier to buy a loom and fit it.

HTH Good Luck.

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
meatman

MOGIL0
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 9:26pm »

hi dave
thanks for that am i right in thinking that the loom also goes into the middle of the engine under the manifold cover if so what other parts might i need gaskets etc  
will i also need to buy the protective sheathing and tape
regards  
mark
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 12:19am »

Not sure you will get any joy from Ford  Undecided.... As far as I'm aware they discontinued the looms a couple of years ago  Sad

You might get lucky if you ring them  Undecided...... but if you not, then it's either a decent second hand loom or patching up the old one yourself with heat shrink  Smiley
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:53am »

I have fully refurbished my cossie loom. When i took it off the car it was completely destroyed. It took me 25 hours, 100 meters of cable, 20 meters of heat shrink, lots of thermal insulators, duct tape of two types (fabric and PVC)

Click Here, password is: guest01
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
VSBlue

scorpio 2.9 v6 12v  Saloon

98853611 98853611   stevev6er  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 5:32pm »

hi did use your old plugs or did you buy new my loom has gone the same as yours & will have to do soon Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 7:13pm »

Hi,

The looms were definitely available last week from FPUK, my mate bought one for his cossie.  2 manifold gaskets and a some big O rings for the plenums is the only other bits you'll need, if you really want to replace them, mine all came off okay and I re used them with a light smear of silicone.  Car has run lke a dream now for over 10,000 miles without fault  Lips Sealed oops now ive done it !!!  They do run thru the middle of the manifolds yes.  The reason I dont personally like the repair idea is you have to solder the wires back together after cutting and sleeving them, and soldered joints and vibration do not live well together.

HTH

Regards Dave.
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 7:38pm »

I have used the old plugs. I have cut the wires a few centimeters long from the plug, took the insulation of. Then with a precision screw driver i have took out the silicone plug / insulators. After this i have covered the bare wire with two layers of heat shrink put the silicone plugs back (to be waterproof and have mechanical resistance). To take care of the stress and vibration where the new wire connects to the old wire, first i have tied them up very well together (a kind of knot) and second i have soldered them. Each joint was covered with heat shrink. Each section of wires were tied together with fabric duct tape, and PVC duct tape. Additional heat protection tube was added which was also covered with PVC / Fabric tapes.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.