Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help! Battery melted! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help! Battery melted!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help! Battery melted!  (Read 364 times)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Help! Battery melted!
« on: Mar 28th, 2008, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My car did killed another ignition switch fuse today when I was on my way to work Angry
Only this time the new fuse burnt through the moment I turned on the ignition again. And again. And again.  

I took off the battery cover to kill the master fuse for the car stereo (huge circuit breaker) but as soon as I bumped into the battery, I was met with huge sparks from the negative terminal, and the bolt holding the wires to the negative terminal burnt right through it.

I'm now left with a big gaping hole in my negative battery terminal.

I've talked to an electrician, and he reckons that it may be a short curcuit in my starter.

Any comments or ideas?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

Re: Help! Battery melted!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 12:17am »

Yes it does sound like a short somewhere, but I guess that's obvious. Have you tried disconnecting the starter, then re-connect the battery and replace the ignition fuse? See if it blows again. I presume both fuse boxes look dry inside...no water in there?
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 8:07am »

I was going to try disconnecting the starter. According to the electrician, starters can fail and short circuit internally. The ignition switch fuse was actually removed when the battery had a meltdown, and no other fuses blew, I think I can fairly assume that the short circuit is either on an unfused circuit or before any fuses.  
I want as many ideas as possible to work with before I start working on the car.

Both fuse boxes look dry. I'm always careful to put the covers back on, and I' have bags of silica gel in both, just to be sure.
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 10:19am »

I've had a look at it now, and my trusty meter reads a short curcuit between ground and the car stereo curcuit, so atleast I found *a* short. I also read a short curcuit between the connectors of the stereo circuit breaker when the circuit is broken, so there is something fishy going on there.
And I register something close to a short circuit on one of the large wires going to the positive terminal. Am I correct in assuming that the thickest of the red wires are starter, and the thinner one is for the rest?
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 3:08pm »

I managed to locate the problem.

The short circuit on one of the large wires was nothing more than me forgetting to turn off the hazard lights.
The insulation behind my circuit breaker had rubbed off and was shorting a 50mm^2 cable to ground. I have now disconnected all live feeds to my stereo and fitted a spare battery, and the car is now back on the road atleast.

So good news is that my starter motor is fine  Smiley

Thanks for all help!
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 11:31pm »

Check the supply to the cig lighter they have been known to give short circuit probs....

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.