Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« non runner - ect sensor? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   non runner - ect sensor?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non runner - ect sensor?  (Read 628 times)
Robiko

Blue '96 (P) Scorpio Cosworth

View Profile WWW

non runner - ect sensor?
« on: Mar 29th, 2008, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, recently I fitted a new waterpump to my 24v (thanks Gabor and Bence from Hungary for arranging the purchase and delivery of the pump), in the process of fitting I noticed that the insulation for the wires for the ect sensor had stripped away leaving bare touching wires, along with the wires for the temp gauge sensor (which has now failed entirely). Now the 24v turns over but doesn't fire...so, first, is it possible that the touching wires have caused the ect sensor to fuse/fail? Would that stop the 24v from firing? Is it possible to bypass the sensor temporarily to give me some form of running/limp driveablility? Are there any fuses which might have blown which protect the sensors from damage? At the same time I notice the dashboard display has changed from imperial to metric...any clues on this?

Any help would be most appreciated, I am working against the clock as I'm on holiday on Wednesday...no car = no holiday...
IP Logged

She said "Me or the car" so I helped pack her bags
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

Re: non runner - ect sensor?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 6:32pm »

Have you checked for a spark ?

check the wiring for the crank position sensor if my memory serves well this is secured by the waterpump bolts on a 24v  Smiley
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 11:06pm »

on Mar 29th, 2008, 5:57pm, Robiko wrote:

At the same time I notice the dashboard display has changed from imperial to metric...any clues on this?

With regard to this problem, has the tripmeter reset to 0 if it has check your battery, if the battery charge is low, when you switch the ignition on, the dials will flick around and they will reset, which could indicate a flat battery....especially in very cold temperatures.  Display changing from imp to met is an indication of this phenomena.

The battery needs to be in tip top condition.  I had a new battery fitted when my engine was changed, they have put a 59ah one in and I have had the flicking dials reset on numerous occasions during the cold weather.  The bat should be at least a 70ah to handle all the electrical gizzmos and systems.

hth

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:23pm »

Check for sparks at the plugs when cranking.  If no sparks then you've likely got a fault with the crank sensor.  If it is sparking away then it's possible (but unlikely) the coolant sensor is causing a mixture far too weak to ignite when cold, in which case unplug it and try again - the ECU should notice and assume a default value instead.

Darren
IP Logged
Robiko

Blue '96 (P) Scorpio Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 10:08am »

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions, it was the crank sensor wire, as some of the insulation had flaked off fitting the waterpump had disturbed the wires causing a short-circuit. A bit of poking and pulling managed to sort it out (temporarily), so looks like an engine bay rewire in the summer...oh what joy... ;o)

Anyway, the upside was she did a faultless 2.5k miles on holiday, returning a nice 31mpg... Smiley
IP Logged

She said "Me or the car" so I helped pack her bags
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 1:36pm »

Had this happen to me a couple of years ago. Repaired at home and *touch wood* it has been ok since  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.