Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« sunroof prob and grinding brakes??? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   sunroof prob and grinding brakes???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sunroof prob and grinding brakes???  (Read 1658 times)
tezzabuckle

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

sunroof prob and grinding brakes???
« on: Mar 30th, 2008, 8:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum and I have purchased a P reg scorpio 2.3 ghia saloon for 500 quid. Obviously i dont mind the odd bits that need doing, but.....
the sunroof dosen't open tilt or slide. It begins to move slightly and then it seems to stop and you can hear the motor trying to move it, but just goes 'brrrrrrrr'. The brakes make similar noises but I can feel the grind  under the pedal. After browsing I can only find warped discs on the site, but dosen't feel like a warped feeling. More like a knocking or something catching. I fear if i press too hard something will snap. Braking at speed is ok, it happens more at slow turning speed.  
The clutch has a slight growling feel to it too don't know if it's connected in any way. Its like i can feel the cogs turning under the clutch and brake.  
Doeas that make any sense? I hope it does to someone.
Thanks
Tezza Huh
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: sunroof prob and grinding brakes???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 8:49pm »

Welcome Tezz

Sounds like the nylon socket in the sunroof motor is in the process of stripping.

However if you have some movement, it may be worth you trying to lube the sunroof mechanism have a look at this link  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/sunroof.htm  

The brake and clutch vibrations through the pedals might be down to driving in your socks, seriously if you are feeling a grind then you need to get that checked out pdq, if you are down to metal you will end up need ing new discs if you do not get on with it.

If you are not particularly mechanical it may be worth taking it into somewhere such as Kwik Fit who do free brake checks and have just started to give a lifetime guarantee on brake repairs. If they tell you that there is a problem ask them to show you.

On the clutch front the manual box on the Scorpio was not one of its best features. If you can change gear OK and there is no slippage it will probably be fine. However the growling sound may be a worn spigot bearing which can make it progressively more difficult to select gear.  At something in the order of 240k miles on my 16 valve the box is run in. I can get my gear lever to make growling noises if I drive around with my hand resting on the lever, which indicates synchromesh wear but is more about old age than anything else.

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 1:01pm »

With regard the brakes, if it feels a bit like a ratchet & as if it's pushing back it can be caused by dirty ABS sensor/sensor ring. Does your ABS work?
Does it only happen when turning? and does it matter which way?
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 2:01pm »

A common cause of the roof jamming is also the rubber sealing strip swelling up at the back usually because of rust underneath.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 5:15pm »

Regard the brakes, I would check the brake pads ASAP. The Scorp never had dashboard illumination for worn brake pads  Cry
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 7:14pm »

on Mar 31st, 2008, 2:01pm, Simmo wrote:
A common cause of the roof jamming is also the rubber sealing strip swelling up at the back usually because of rust underneath.

This is why my sunroof only slides back and doesn't tilt. Is there a way to fix it?
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 9:30pm »

If the sealing strip is the cause, it will be fairly obvious. If you close it and look at the middle of the rear edge, you will see the join of the strip - this is where they usually rust under the strip which swells the strip out and jams it.

On a dry day, or in the garage - try pushing the rear edge of the lens up to help it, as you operate the button. Once tilted up, you should be able to see the rust damage easily.

You can make a temporary fix by cleaning the rust off and applying some Curerust type solution allowing it to dry, then re-glueing the seal back with contact adhesive. The only permanent cure is a complete sound replacement lens.    
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
tezzabuckle

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 10:19pm »

on Mar 31st, 2008, 1:01pm, Tompion wrote:
With regard the brakes, if it feels a bit like a ratchet & as if it's pushing back it can be caused by dirty ABS sensor/sensor ring. Does your ABS work?
Does it only happen when turning? and does it matter which way?

It happens both ways but more when i turn left.
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 9:59am »

The complete sunroof assembly is surprisingly easy to replace if you can find a better one on an other car. I changed the one on my TD estate as it had the rusty rear seal problem and the one on the spares car was perfect. It was simply a case of opening the sunroof fully to reveal the screws and removing the inner plastic cover to undo the motor (3 screws and wiring multiplug) Tape a bit of cloth around the sunroof aperture to protect the paint, remove all the visible screws and the sunroof assembly should jiggle up and forward out of the car.
Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 3:34pm »

Hi all,regarding tezzs problem,our daughter had the same problem....the glass roof section at the back, the seal was swollen with rust...i just swapped over the glass roof....oiled the cable etc..now works as it should.so another job done.. Smiley.regards den.
IP Logged
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 6:24pm »

on Apr 1st, 2008, 3:34pm, joe-satch wrote:
Hi all,regarding tezzs problem,our daughter had the same problem....the glass roof section at the back, the seal was swollen with rust...i just swapped over the glass roof....oiled the cable etc..now works as it should.so another job done.. Smiley.regards den.

Might spend Saturday morning at our local scrappy trying this out. They got a couple there with keys and battery in tact, cheers for the tip!
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:15am »

You don't need to worry about keys or batteries, just remove the three screws holding the sunroof motor in place and you can move the sunroof back and forward by hand  Smiley

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
tezzabuckle

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:54am »

Does any one else have a solution on the brakes? I have now noticed at very slow speeds that i can hear and feel them grinding(at least i think its the brakes) without pressing the brake pedal.
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:29am »

Have you checked the brake pads?
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:16pm »

tezzabuckle.
Have you jacked it up and checked the wheel bearings?If not I would advise immediate attention in that direction!
           GOZZ
IP Logged
tezzabuckle

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:49pm »

Hi Dave m  and gozz,
I have checked the pads and they look fine. discs look fine. How do i check the bearings?anyone?
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 8:34am »

Lift each corner of the car in turn and for each wheel try pulling bottom of wheel whilst pushing top, change to pulling top pushing bottom and swap over rapidly. See if you can find any movement at all. Try the same thing side to side of each wheel.  

Now try rotating the wheel and feel for any sense of roughness in the wheels rotation. With the brake pads in place there will be some roughness, but the trick is to decide is it the pads rubbing or bearing roughness. For the rears it will need to be in nuetral and you will be turning the entire drive train.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 12:25pm »

Grinding of brakes an be caused by a build up of rust within the sliding surfaces of the caliper (especially if the car has been stood for a while) it can cause the pads to remain against the disk and would require a bit of cleaning up of the mating surfaces.... a brake service...?

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 12:39pm »

on Apr 5th, 2008, 8:34am, harry.m1byt wrote:
Lift each corner of the car in turn and for each wheel try pulling bottom of wheel whilst pushing top, change to pulling top pushing bottom and swap over rapidly. See if you can find any movement at all. Try the same thing side to side of each wheel.  

Now try rotating the wheel and feel for any sense of roughness in the wheels rotation. With the brake pads in place there will be some roughness, but the trick is to decide is it the pads rubbing or bearing roughness. For the rears it will need to be in nuetral and you will be turning the entire drive train.

In my experience...

This doesn't necessarily find bearing problems with the scorp, The bearings are pre-set and therefore are not adjustable.  noise can be caused by pitting in the race runs as was the case with mine, they will run for long enough with this problem and will just rumble... they will eventually disintegrate so will need replacing.
I would get replacements from fmd as I had bad experiences with third party ones.  you really need a hydraulic press to remove and fit the new ones although with a struggle it can be done usind suitable drifts and blocks hammers etc (hard work though). If you put the hubs in the freezer overnight and then warm the bearing runs in the oven allowing expantion and contraction, this helps, fit a new nut (the ones that come with the bearings are the wrong ones (Mondeo) so order new ones when ordering  the bearings)

In all it is a do-able job and will save money in the long run.... Wink

hth

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
tezzabuckle

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 9:29pm »

Well, I managed to open sunroof and felt rust falling from it. I oiled it but it still dont work probably.
As for the brakes, could they be pistons?
Its not so much a grind but more of something hitting the bottom of my brake pedal. mainly when i turn left and brake at slow speed. It knocks more than a rotation of a turn of a wheel..say..3 or 4 knocks to a wheel rotation. Perhaps something to do with an abs bit.HuhI don't know how abs works but does it contain a piston?
The discs look clean and the pads are good. Feels like metal catching on something.  
Please help........
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.