Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:12am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« strange auto box stuff »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   strange auto box stuff
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: strange auto box stuff  (Read 555 times)
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

strange auto box stuff
« on: Apr 4th, 2008, 1:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi  every one  
my auto box on 2.3 scorpio is a strange beast i.v had the fluid and filter changed and all seemed well for a short time , just today its been slipping into 2nd after pulling up to lights then going into 1st then everything is ok for a few days then it goes back to missbehaving it seems that once everything heats up the gremlins get in , i feel as if something is not locking into place or that solenoids may be sticking , 1st 2nd is good then it hesitates to go into 3rd the revs rise slightly then it goes into 3rd and on to 4th then overdrive with no problem i cleaned the maf seemed ok but could be shot dont know  i,v had the o/d off light blinking on but then going off after i restart the engine if th box was dying surely the o/d off light would stay lit and not go out  thanks again guys
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: strange auto box stuff
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 7:37am »

Steve. I know nothing about auto boxes BUT IIRC the fluid is very sensitive to temperature and if there isn't enough fluid in the system clearly it could overheat and thus cause problems. Have you gone through the correct procedure for checking the level. Described elesewhere on the site?. Just a thought if the fluid has been recently changed. There have been a number of recent posts about this type of problem.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 9:20am »

A bit like Simmo, I am not a gearbox expert but I know my way around the electrical systems and they are much easier to work on than gearboxes. I had similar problems with mine a few years ago. Before you strip the gearbox down (not a job I fancy) check the electrical connections under the gear selector housing. Overdrive and 2nd gear start connections are there. Also, for correct selection of gears the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) switch has to be functioning correctly. This is another area to check as the plug connector can cause problems.
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 5:25pm »

cool thanks guys so where will i find the wot switch connector and how can i check if its working correctly . Actually something has just come to mind when i have my lights on sometimes the selector windows don't light up till i move the selector lever  seems like a loose connection or something plus the lever wont move right back to the 1st position as if something is stopping it , think i may just check this out this weekend (how do i get to the under neath of the selector housing ) Embarassed the things you have described sound right it feels like connection problem as the box behaves very well on most ocations
IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 5:57pm »

oh by the way what is the TS sensor nd where is it located just read bout it on this site once again thanks guys for all the advice  Grin
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 6:53pm »

The WOT connector is next to the WOT sensor Grin. but seriously...on the Cosworth...(not sure about 2.3 - probably same place) its right on top of the engine near where the accelerator cable connects. The gear selector housing just clips on so can easily be lifted upwards
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 5:57pm »

do you think the flickering lights in the selecter window could mean a loose connection with the selection of gears could that be why the box is excellent sometimes and not so good other times cheers guys for your input
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.