Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:15am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« scorpio 2.5 tdi »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   scorpio 2.5 tdi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: scorpio 2.5 tdi  (Read 588 times)
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

scorpio 2.5 tdi
« on: Apr 8th, 2008, 2:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i have a problem with my scorpio  
i have just  replaced the head gaskets and put the whole thing back together  the car starts and idles
but when   i drive it  she is very  lumpy  and smokes a lot  she was okay before  the head gasket  blew
what could the problem be
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: scorpio 2.5 tdi
« Reply #1 on: Apr 8th, 2008, 3:11pm »

It has to go through the drive cycle before it will run correctly ....may just be that ..... see HERE Hope it is as simple as that .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 8th, 2008, 4:48pm »

this car is a 1995 2.5 tdi executive
  manual gearbox. if i drive it i fill the street with smoke.
i ahve went over thw whole engine to see if there any leaks   i have come across  a pipe from the exhaust manifold that is leading what i think is the egr  
and  the engine  temp  is not moving in the car  so i suspect  that the sensor on the last head under the header tank may be faulty   could this be  what causing  my problems
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2008, 11:26am »

i have taken everything apart again   i now i have found
a bent rocker push rod at no2 cylinder head all the piston crowns had black soot on them  what could be the cause of this and will it happen again if a put a new ones in
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 8:03am »

low and beholed ford  dealer has new push rods  wow
i thought everything for the scorpio was obsulete from the main dealer  ordered them yesterday  and i have put everything back together again i have  taken the the rocker arms of no2 cylinder head  waiting for the new ones to arrive  which ford told me would be here 10.30 am i am not  all that disheartened  by  whats happened as the 2.5 tdi  as  dream to work on  very easy to dismatle and put back together  

but what i dont  know   is what caused the pushrod to bend   in the first place   the bent push rod was working the rocker arm for the exhaust valve  and a word  of note  if you  are unfortunate  to have the a blown  head gasket  dont  buy  the individuals get the metal all in one gasket   and the  inlet and exaust manifold  gasket is  a combined  one also metal  much better the flimsey gaskets i replaced  oh  i forgot  to say  that i  had to get an other cylinder head all 4  as   2 of them were cracked
i paid a breaker £90 for all 4  they came of a running  vx fontera 2.5tds  and fitted the scorpio  no problem  but  you will have to take the temp sensor of  you old heads and put it on the new ones as the fontera does not have  that sensor
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 12:46pm »

remeber to turn the engine  to by hand with out the injegtoror in to  get the oil to the heads and sretting the valves or you wiill have problems
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:15pm »

I believe there was a common problem with the hydraulic tappets not expanding fully and the pushrod(s) slipping off the end of the rocker arm (check the main site itself).  If this happened and the pushrod somehow got jammed up against an immovable part of the top end then I can understand it bending, and of course the engine would run rough as only on 3 cylinders, but lots of things can cause it to run rough...

Smoking could be a number of causes and we really need to know what colour the smoke is/was (e.g. blue, white, black) to guess at a cause.

Darren
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:23pm »

the pushrod problem was probably about the only known problem of what is generally a very reliable albeit a bit lazy workhorse....
IP Logged

python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 11:03pm »

okay guys  got the the engine back together and the car now runs a dream  yep she was only running on 3 cylinders and the smoke was white  but  that was caused by unburnt desiel  ford mechanic guy  told me to turn the engine by hand without the injectors in to expell any air  and to get the oil through to the rockers  i did this  and put the injectors back in connected everthing else and she started  first turn of the key i got a little white smoke to start  but soon cleared after the unburnt fuel in the exhaust was burnt off the the smoking stopped now she runs a dream
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 11:04pm »

cheers guys for your helpful comments
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 11:15pm »

seemingly  the exhaust valve was open  to far and the piston hit the valve and inturn bent the push rod  lucky for me the valve did'nt bend  i was  told  that the valves in the tdi  are  flush to the seats  so wont bend  like a petrol engine as they are slightly angled in the head hence the valve was pushed back into its seat bending the rod  i am also surprised it did'nt break the rocker aswell but  lucky for me it was only the rod that was bent  now i am one happy guy  the car is back on the road  running better than ever a lot quieter than it did.
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 11:33pm »

things i used for this job  1 piece  metal gasket for the cylinder heads £40 from ebay  a combined inlet and exhaust manifolds gasket also metal £11 from vauxhall  and new egr pipe gasket £4 ford dealer also 1 pushrod £7  total cost £62  not bad  i dont know what a garage would cost to do this job oh and new head bolts
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.