Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Right rear Wheel Bearings. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Right rear Wheel Bearings.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Right rear Wheel Bearings.  (Read 730 times)
surfcoast4

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

Right rear Wheel Bearings.
« on: Apr 12th, 2008, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guy's
Can anyone tell me if the right rear wheel bearings size/dimensions changed from 1985 thru to 1998 ?
Shattered a bearing last night and the aftermarket replacement is causing grief when trying to re-install the wheel hub.
the box the bearings came in say's 85-98 models and I find that quite strange !!!
thanks in advance for your assistance.
Andy.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Right rear Wheel Bearings.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2008, 11:43pm »

surfcoast4.
I have a fleet of funereal Scorps,from my experience all have the same bearings throughout the years.The pattern part kits do have a larger outer size nut,I always refit the original nut if sound.Your problem is uncommon,and if the bearings are stamped with the correct details,there must be some slight damage to the original components.
       Get yer specs on !
     GOZZ.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:08am »

I agree with Gozz the bearing are standard as far as I understand, the lock nut however is NOT and I have always used the Ford one along with the application of STRONG  threadlock.  

Look closely for danmage to the bub and bearing carrier, The bearing carrier damage can be overcome but hub damage will result in the bearing failing early on . I know only too well from past experience.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:40am »

I can’t answer your question, except to say I used a “premier” kit from a motor factors the bearings were SKF so not cheap ones. The cones were exceptionally tight on the hub. It would not have been possible to fit the hub to the carrier on the car without putting pressure on the rollers.
I had to fit the hub to the carrier off the car so that both cones could be pressed on together.
You can cool the hub in the freezer for a few hours and warm the hub/cones to make it easier, but don’t make it too hot, I believe 120C is the maximum given on one of the bearing manufacturer sites.

I agree with snoopy, look very closely for damage, make sure there is no damage to the seats for the cups as this can cause them not to seat properly, causing excessive preload. I had to do a lot of tidying up on mine due to poor fitting by whoever did the job last. The hub however had no damage whatsoever (I inspected it with an eyeglass), it may be that genuine ford bearings are a sliding fit - I don’t know.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
surfcoast4

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 7:56pm »

Hi again Guy's.
thanks all for your advise and assistance and to answer the question for future reference...yes they are all the same bearings, I managed to get hold the Microcat software for Ford Dealers and that tells all.
The bearings actually pressed into carrier hub ok so no problem there but when it came to inserting the wheel hub thats when the problem occured, have inspected that at close detail ( including and especially, with the specs Wink  and it appears ok but,,,still no luck- all out on the workbench again now and awaiting cooler head/s and.... a spare complete hub assembly that will come off one of the ones I'm breaking ...that should suffice untill I get a new wheel hub and can overhall this one properly.
Many thanks again
Andy.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 7:41am »

To Insert the rear wheel hubs its just a case of gently knocking them through ... As regards the bearing being pressed in .. thats incorrect the caps are pressed home as the bearings them selves are taper roller bearings and shoud not be pressed in  
see HERE . I have done mine three times .. twice on the n/side and once on the offside.  

good luck
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 2:19pm »

It may well be that the aftermarket ones are too tight, but one thing’s for certain if the cones are as tight as mine putting the hub in without supporting the inner cone would have ruined the outer bearing. I had to press them on as a pair with the carrier off the car to prevent pressure on the rollers.
I have a ford bearing waiting for me at the sorting office, - I hope it doesn't have the ridiculous interference fit that my aftermarket one had. Smiley
IP Logged

surfcoast4

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 2:41pm »

G'day Dave,

Thought I'd better clarify out of technical correctness Smiley, your of course right...the CAPS are PRESSED home and the tappered bearings sit nicely into/onto the caps, which of course is what I did and should have more clearly stated.....unfortunately it was the wheel hubs and the gently knocking them through bit that didnt want to play ball and still doesnt I might add...will return with the final outcome shortly.....new I wanted a few days out of the office for a break Smiley Wink some new springs and shockers while were up on stands and in pieces I think, hang the expense Smiley
cheers guys.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 7:48pm »

I picked up the Ford bearing kit today.
The part no’s for both the aftermarket and the Ford cups are the same:
BT1B 328053/Q
But the cones are different:
BT1B 328053 B/Q    aftermarket
BT1B 328053 AB/Q   Ford

There’s a list on the Timken site of typical manufacturer special order codes (although it may be different for SKF bearings it gives an idea of the differences):
http://www.ahrinternational.com/TIMKEN_nomenclature.shtml

One possibility is that Ford started out with one spec and modified it slightly, but to make the changes backward compatible they would change the bearing rather than the hub.
I’ll hopefully find out soon if it stops raining.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.