Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2024, 9:24am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Front discs ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Front discs ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Front discs ?  (Read 2315 times)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Front discs ?
« on: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I replaced warped  front discs ( the originals I think )   at  74K,   after  only  14K I  had to replace them due to warping ,  now after  only 14 K  the steering wheel shudder under braking is  quite frightening.  

Should I expect  a bit more mileage  than 14 K out of  the cheaper  discs,  or are my braking  habits  suspect, or should I bite the bullet  and buy   Henry  Ford's  vastly  overpriced  discs ?

IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Front discs ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:36pm »

14k does seem a bit low. What brand discs did you get ? Don't think there is any benefit in paying extra because a disc comes in a Ford box - do you really think Ford make brake discs ? I doubt it - made by another company and bought in IMHO. I got my discs from www.buypartsby.co.uk for about £10 each + VAT and 7k on they are still fine. They were a reputable brand and came boxed, sorry, can't recall the brand at the moment.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:42pm »

My last pair were about £30 off e-bay.

It's strange, they go from working perfectly to scrap metal in as little as  300 miles.

Anything else that could cause severe steering wheel shake on braking.?

The anti-roll bar  bushes,  the  vertical drop links,  and  the track rod ends are all fairly  elderly .
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:49pm »

I have the same problem. Had severe brake shudder on partial braking (the shudder disappears when braking hard) and replaced the front discs for the MOT. That cured the shudder, but it slowly came back (after maybe a 1000km). The new discs were original ford parts.

I'm quite sure that it's warped front discs again, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I don't usually sit at junctions with the regular brakes on (as there is a theory that the warm pads can warp the discs) but rather brake to stop and then put the parking brake on.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:24pm »

Mine's an auto so rarely use the parking / hand brake...
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:42pm »

Take it to a quiet motorway - get to 70 and then break hard (not hard enough to spin Undecided) then leave off the breaks to let the disks cool down - repeat a few times and see if that makes a difference. Did on mine! Cheesy

Dave
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:11pm »

I'm convinced that the problem is down to cheap inferior discs. I've had the problem twice before when using cheap 'Apec' discs, but since I've switched to using Lucas (not alot dearer) then I've not had any problems  Smiley

Also, I have read that such phenomena can also be caused by pad material being transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc, causing a thickness variation  Undecided.... Smiley
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 3:19pm »

Worn bushes and track rod ends can warp discs - at least it did on my Sierra.  Had to have my EBC discs skimmed twice to remove the "judder".  Replaced all the front bushes with poly bushes - disks never warped again - they're fitted to the Westfield now.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 5:52pm »

I've given it a good  brake thrashing with multiple emergency stops  (  not one of the wheels  locked  up which proves the ABS is sound   at least  Kiss )   from high speed.  

The  front discs  were  well  heated  up and   didn't  shudder   at all .

We'll  see  if that's  made any difference  tomorrow  when they've cooled  down.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 12:07pm »

Found the box in the garage this morning that my £10 discs from www.buypartsby.co.uk came in - they were Mintex brand.

I really should clear my garage up a bit more often... Embarassed
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 8:01pm »

Hi guys. Mine were binding/warped badly when I bought it, had them all changed with genuine Ford discs/pads.

Never a problem even with spirited driving, did lots of 70mph motorway sliproad braking with no problems. And I used to keep the brake pressed in traffic Undecided. I don't on the manual, always use the h/b and clutch. But on the auto...

Really a bad habit I should get out of, I know.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 3:28am »

i changed mine (they juddered because there was a chunk missing  Grin) for a cheap unheard of make on ebay, they cost £32 which included both discs, both sets of pads and delivery! someone on here (cant remember who) said dont, they bought the same and they warped after a few months, but i tried them anyway, that was 18 months ago and they're still working a treat. i am a relaxed easy going driver though so i hardly ever dive on the brakes, that said mine is a td which is heavy on suspension etc. i think it depends on quite a few factors, manual or auto, mainly motorway or urban stop start or mixture, engine type, wheel size, driving style/habits etc etc.  
it has been said you should get around 50,000 miles from the ford ones....
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 4:46pm »

When i bought my first two Scorpios they both had the "steering wheel shudder"

3 and a half years ago i bought a pair of Delphi / Lockheed (about 60 pounds - front ones and about 80 pounds the rear ones). I did ~ 22 k miles with them and they are acting great, i didn't even changed the brake pads !  

The dreaded steering wheel shudder appears because an effect called 'hotspot' which is highly spread and pretty nasty. This phenomenon appears because of the temperature difference through-out the disk. When you break all the kinetic energy of the almost 2 ton car which does xx miles/h is transformed into heat, a lot of heat. To avoid hot-spotting you breaks you need to brake a bit sooner and let the car creep the last meters. Also for automatics, try to stop a few meters before the stop light and creep the car with the brakes easily press (to creep real slow). Keeping the brake perssed makes a "heat sandwich" composed of the pads and disk. So the disk exposed to air cools faster than the one under the pads. Different temperature corresponds to different dilatations / tensions in the metal which led to deformations and faster warping

So to cut a long story short, as a rule you need to let go of the brakes before the stopping actions and for manuals never keep the brake pedal press (if you don't need it)

IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 11:32pm »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 5:52pm, mr._floppy wrote:
 I've given it a good  brake thrashing with multiple emergency stops  (  not one of the wheels  locked  up which proves the ABS is sound   at least  Kiss )   from high speed.  

The  front discs  were  well  heated  up and   didn't  shudder   at all .

We'll  see  if that's  made any difference  tomorrow  when they've cooled  down.

It was me that originally suggested that solution, after I found it in a techinal discussion on judder. I tried it, it cured mine and a few months later they are still free of judder.  

BTW You are not supposed to get them so hot that they take overnight to cool down again, just hot is enough  Grin

On the subject of pad and disk life...

I would expect my pads to last 40 to 50K miles and the disks to see this car out. I'm no slouch behind the wheel, but I make little use of the brakes - its a matter of planning ahead so you don't aquire more speed than you need or can use up. Everytime you need to brake it is wasting fuel.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 1:47pm »

WARNING !   CONSPIRACY  ALERT!!!!

It's the New Car Syndrome,    i.e.  that the original parts fitted at the factory are infinitely superior to expensive aftermarket parts.

Can any tyre you've bought since  match the  40K mileage that you got from the original tyres ?

How come the factory fitted  discs can last 50K  yet  manufacturers  replacements only last  30K ?

How come the original exhaust .....................you get the picture?

IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:42pm »

That's how manufacturers can afford longer warranties I bet! Angry  Undecided
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:19pm »

harry 20 years or so ago i would agree about disc life but it seems nowadays discs are more consumable.......
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:49pm »

Yes, I can recall nearly 30 years ago ( Ooops, showing my age now  Embarassed  )  you could get discs re-ground - at least once, possibly twice if you were lucky - nowadays they are just a throwaway item, and in real terms probably a lot cheaper than they were back then !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:03pm »

I noticed that there isnt any brakeshields on the front brakes on the scorp, what were they thinking?

I can se several groves in my discs from, im guessin, small stones and other crap that have stuck between the pad and the disc.

Is it possible to retrofitt brakeshields in front?

//Hairy Swede
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 24th, 2009, 7:33am »

If you put brake shields on then you may possibly get overheating on the discs. Ford in their wisdom did not think that they were necessary for a reason as they are fitted to the back ones.
See HERE
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.