Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rattling noise from boot ....... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Rattling noise from boot .......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rattling noise from boot .......  (Read 784 times)
dxt

I'm an oldie.

View Profile

Rattling noise from boot .......
« on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have tried everything to find out what this noise is. It sounds just like something is loose in the spare tyre well like a spanner or something. I have taken everything out (jack etc) but every so often this d**n rattle is back. Someone has told me it sounds like something is loose inside the petrol tank ? Could that be possibe??  This noise is not there all the time, I can go for miles sometimes but I'll hit a bump or go round a bend and it will start. It really does sound as though something has come adrift but we have been under the car and can't see a thing. Has any one else had this.  
Going steadily round the bend myself ...... dxt
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Rattling noise from boot .......
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:39pm »

is it an estate?
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:17pm »

Mine has a knock from the rear left - diagnosed as a failing drop link bush.  Knocks when going over pot holes etc.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:51am »

Check brake pads, I once had one of the pad retianer springs break and it caused a rattle which stopped when braking, although that was on the front....

It may not be this but it's worth a look.

If it is in the tank, (it is feasable) it probably would not rattle when the tank was full so maybe this is the area to investigate too....

Hth

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
dxt

I'm an oldie.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:48am »

HI .... many thanks so far. No its not an estate its 4 door saloon. Have checked brakes area and all round there but nothing. I will have a look at the 'drop link bush' (if I can find it!). Pete you say it is feasable about it being in the tank ! What would it be?? This noise is not every time I hit a bump. As I said earlier I can go for miles and not hear a thing but for no apparent reason it will suddenly start to rattle about.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:21pm »

Exhaust / silencer loose baffles in the back boxHuhHuh?
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:49pm »

just a long shot mine had a similar problem we stripped all the rear of the car and could find no problem, only it was worse when cold, and also when hitting a pot hole, we decided to leave it till it got worse,which it did it ,noise was all on offside rear and was worst turning right, clonking off and on for three months then got worse and started screeching Angry. turned out to be wheel bearing, all sorted now Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:04am »

Quote:
author=dxt link=board=Problems;num=1208885443;start=0#4 date=04/23/08 at 11:48:03]Pete you say it is feasable about it being in the tank ! What would it be??

The fuel pump is in the tank along with the float assembly etc  It could be something associated with these items or maybe a baffle come loose, I don't remember if there is a baffle in there however it used to be a common problem on some tanks as they were just spot welded in and would come loose.  We used to have to degas the tank before opening them up to make a repair.... That was in the old days though, before the chuckaway times we live in.

Hope you find it soon as it sure is annoying....

Pete
IP Logged

Lawson

scorpio 2 litre ,16v .ultima ....

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2008, 1:12am »

Hi there and thanks for letting me join the club ,i have just bought a 1997 scorpio 2 litre 16v ultima ,its an amazing car which im quickly starting to love ,however i to have this annoying rattle /clinking noise from the rear ,im going to strip all the wheels off and check the brake discs and pad placement ect ,and check the wheel bearings ,,,,any advice would be great ,,,,regards ,,,Pete
IP Logged

Scorpio owners dont mind oily hands ....
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 10th, 2008, 7:01pm »

Lawson.
Like peteHull,I have had brake pad anti rattle spring break in half,but on the rear,it sets up a light annoying rattle particularly on rough roads.If you get it rattling nicely and put you left foot on the brake as you are still holding the accelerator,the noise will temporarily stop if it's springs.The most important thing to observe relating to rear wheel bearings is that they are torqued to 200 ft/lbs,I check all mine on a regular basis.Failure is often caused by incorrect setting,by people getting confused with the older method of setting taper rollers ie hand tight untill there is no play.Scorpio rear hub bearings are pre spaced,therefore must be properly tightened.Excessive wear can be checked by jacking the back of the car up with the handbrake off and grasping the top and bottom of the tyre giving it a waggle,there should be no play.You can usually hear a failing bearing as a moaning that rises and falls in intensity with varying speed.It is difficult to spin the wheels by hand to listen for roughness,but if you jack the back off the ground securely under the trailing arms and rotate the wheels under power any serious roughness should be perceptible.
    Good luck GOZZ.
IP Logged
Lawson

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 10th, 2008, 7:48pm »

Thanks  Gozz ill try that tomorrow i have the use of my workshop as i work as an Army vehicle tech ,,,so ill jack it up and haveba look ,,,,i think the guy i bought it from said something about the rtear pads being replaced by a garage for the last Mot which was recent ,i might try the last Mot cert on the DVLA site and see if it flags up the faults that had to be completed to secure an Mot pass ,,,,many regards ,,,all the help is much appreciated ,,Pete
IP Logged

Lawson

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 20th, 2008, 8:02pm »

An update guys ,my noise turned out to be a pair of loose O/S.R brake caliper bolts ,,,,the guy i bought it from said the rear brake pads had just been renewed ,which they had .However the mechanic had left one sidce slack ! can you beleve it ?   ....any way i found the fault straight away on takin g the rear wheels off so im pleased to report my annoying little rattle noise when i drive over bumps is gone completely ,,,,,thanks for all your help .
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 20th, 2008, 10:38pm »

on May 20th, 2008, 8:02pm, Lawson wrote:
loose O/S.R brake caliper bolts ,,,,the guy i bought it from said the rear brake pads had just been renewed ,which they had .However the mechanic had left one sidce slack ! can you beleve it ?   .

Yes I certainly can believe it, that's why we do our own repairs, this is historically a common problem with "professionals".  I'm really pleased it wasn't something expensive for you, Now you will enjoy the car.... Wink

Pete
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 20th, 2008, 10:52pm »

Lawson.
Sounds like the work of a main dealers erk ! Pleased you've sorted it.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.