Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« bad mpg on a 2.9 v6 12v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   bad mpg on a 2.9 v6 12v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: bad mpg on a 2.9 v6 12v  (Read 1345 times)
JimmyJaffa

She may have a few lumps n bumps but shes my baby

View Profile Email

bad mpg on a 2.9 v6 12v
« on: Apr 26th, 2008, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, i have just bought a 2.9 12v and have had it for a week and find that it is using so much fuel that i need my own refinery at home, im probably getting about 16 mph at the mo, has anyone got any ideas of what it could be as im sure i should be getting about 24 mph, many thanks, jim.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: bad mpg on a 2.9 v6 12v
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 1:16am »

Jim. 16mpg, not good Shocked

Not familiar at all with the 12v but two good places to start are engine coolant temp sensor, this will cause the ECU to run really rich thinking the engine's stone cold all the time, killing MPG. Also lambdas (not sure of the lambda setup on the 12v), bad lambdas can sometimes read the mixture as lean when it's really ok making the ECU put lots more fuel in than it needs to. Plenty in the forum archives about this type of problem, well worth searching the forum.

One of the more 12v savvy guys should be able to help more Smiley

Regards, Bruce
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
JimmyJaffa

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 7:53am »

many thanks for that i will do some searching
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 7:56am »

Check the air filter make sure that is clean/ new plugs rotor arm and plug leads can cure some of the low MPG problems but I would suspect either the MAP sensor or the lambda sensors .. they are quite easy to do on the 12v give them a good soaking in releasing fluid over night when it is cld get the correct cut out spanner and out they come . The thermostat on the 12v is also VERY easy to replace with little coolant loss .. if you change it get the proper FMD one it has the rubber sealing ring on it .. no need for a gasket.  
Also run a couple of bottle of injector cleaner through the old beast and use good petrol .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 4:28pm »

That last item, injector cleaner worked on mine, but not nearly such poor mpg as yours. I used STP petrol injector cleaner, the one you add to a tank full at an annual service. mpg increased from low 20's up to 28 to 30 depending how driven.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 10:35pm »

Jim.
Yes 24 mpg is not unthinkable,Snoopy has given you the correct info particularly regarding the MAP and HEGO sensors,these being the greatest cause of really heavy fuel waste.Check also that there is sufficient vacuum present at the MAP sensor,ie no blockage or pipe breakage.
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
JimmyJaffa

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 10:42pm »

Hi. thanks for all the replys but i may of cracked it, today my engine started to missfire badly which i had noticed on occasions on tick over , lifted the bonnet to find sneaky ht lead leaking to earth. so new set of leads fitted, will post results after a few days of driving, jaffa .
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 5:38pm »

hi jaffa,just wondering about your MPG.! Are you getting that figure driving "around town" ? ? .If so the best you can hope for will be about 18 mpg increasing to around 31 on a good run.I,ve had 4 x 2.9 12v in both granada & scorpio forms & i love em, bullet proof mechanicals & capable of doing big mileage with the basic of maintenance,but alas they are VERY thirsty.As the guys said coolent sensor or lambda are the usual culprits when economy goes south.Hope you get it sorted.Enjoy your motor...Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.