Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:39pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Alternator worries »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Alternator worries
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alternator worries  (Read 400 times)
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

Alternator worries
« on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Word to my brothers and sisters of the Scorpio(n) massive. Etc.

Just a quick one. My 95 Cossie has developed a very intermittent slight glowing of the charging light while running. I've had a quick scout on the problem finder pages, and clearly there's some sort of alternator fault - diode packs I believe?

When I got the car there was a yucky leak from the power steering fluid reservoir, so the alternator itself is covered in poo (although I have given it a good clean with motorcycle chain cleaner).

So... I guess I will need a new alternator soon. Or an exchange unit. Anyone like to recommend a tried and tested route? I'm considering getting a secondhand one and sending it off to be reconditioned so I don't need to have the car off the road for any length of time.

Anyone got a duff one they'll let me have cheap? Or even a good one!

Thanks everyone.

Al
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Alternator worries
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2008, 10:53am »

It it is only glowing slightly then then can carry on like this for years . The steering fluid does cause some sort of damage , happened to mine when I first got it and replaced alternator .If it was me I would not worry unduly but search around for a replacement ( Just in Case). Just make sure you have fixed the Power steering fluid leak ( usually from the top joint on the reserviour needs attention) and it runs down the pipe and drips onto the rear of the alternator.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2008, 11:14am »

That sounds like a good plan Snoop. I do have a spare battery I keep in the boot anyway (the horrors of not being able to push start an automatic car terrify me), so with that and a spare alternator in the shed, I should be relatively sorted.

I like the Scorp a lot, but I am worried about the reliability of what is a 13 year old car, so am paranoid about fixing stuff properly and early!

I did sort the PS fluid leak early on, with new hoses from FPUK and a proper clean of the reservoir.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2008, 10:26pm »

I believe the petrol alternators are relatively common and will have been used on many makes/models.  The diesels are less so though as they also contain the vacuum pump and it's positioning varies depending on year.

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.