Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 mpg and ABS probs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 mpg and ABS probs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 mpg and ABS probs  (Read 2100 times)
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

2.3 mpg and ABS probs
« on: May 5th, 2008, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good afternoon Gents, mpg on 2.3 is now down to 16.5, mainly commute to work in traffic, did a check with obd lead yesterday, came up with   on both short and long term fuel trim    100percent decrease rich correction, please tell me where to look to rectify.  Abs light always on since i bought it last november, obd test shows B1500 non defined. Had a look under rear seat cushion found two connections both looked a bit iffy to me, a bit damp, is it ok to spray carb cleaner or wd 40 over connection?? last one sorry but i dont know how to test sensor with multimeter, thanks everyone
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

Re: 2.3 mpg and ABS probs
« Reply #1 on: May 5th, 2008, 4:44pm »

Hello, let's talk about each problem at a time

1) Fuel trims in general are affected by:
-temperature sensors (ECT, IAT), oxygen sensors (lambda)
You need to scan again with the lead and see if your sensors are switching.

2) ABS light always on
on Apr 17th, 2008, 5:04pm, Octavian_P wrote:
When i bought my 2.3 it had the ABS light all the time. I have checked the sensor, they where OK, i have measured the plug on the ABS was ok, so the only problem that remained was the module. I have bought one from a break yard from Germany and mounted it on the car.....same result, light on. After some time Tompion a member here discovered that there's a dry joint in the module which needs re-soldering. Sooo...

1) have a read here first:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm

2) If the first part doesn't help then read this:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abscontrollerrepair.htm

PS: both my modules had the no 2 problem.  

3) To use a multimeter and measure the sensor do the following:
- select resistance measuring (ohm) unplug the connector and measure the pins in the multiplug coming from the sensor. The ohm-meter should register about 1050 ohms.
alternative measuring:
- jack up the car select mili-volts on the meter, connect the meter to the sensor's plug and spin the wheel as fast as you can. It should read a small voltage. (this method depends a lot on the performance of the multimeter and it's sensibility, so it's not always relevant)  

IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 5th, 2008, 5:15pm »

Thanks so much Octavian specially multimeter instructions,thats what i wanted, not sure what u mean by sensors are switching, sorry to be a dodo
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2008, 5:44pm »

under no curcumstances spray your leads with carb cleaner it melts the plastic, i know this to my cost.
IP Logged
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:03pm »

Thanks John, hope to see u at next kent meet
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:03pm »

WD40 will be fine, better than that to unplug the connectors and give them a good dousing in WD40 or proper switch cleaner.

Agree with Octavian with the ABS, better to test both the resistance and for voltage output if you can. If the sensors seem ok then might be worth doing another resistance test at the main connector plug on the ABS module, the pinouts for that connector should be somewhere so you can test for continuity all the way through the loom.

These cars get a lot of stick for electrical problems but to be fair it's not all Ford's fault, they're getting old now and wires/connectors will age and get corroded, besides they get a right old beating with the UK weather Smiley  

BTW, 'switching' of the lambdas is how they work with the ECU to control the fuel mixture, as they get old they gradually don't work quite as well as they used to (like Simmo Grin Wink), they can't react to the change in mixture fast enough so the balance goes bad either running the engine really lean or more commonly really rich. If it's both banks then a bad engine coolant sensor could be reading cold all the time so the ECU is basically keeping the choke on constantly.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:26pm »

Thanks Tiberius, that seems easiest first port of call, will change coolant sensor and see how it goes
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:31pm »

'The Old One' can still read though !!! Cheesy Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:40pm »

Simmo, i think u have been unseated,  Im the new OLD ONE  Grin
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:46pm »

Let's see if you get as much cheek as I do then!!. They forget that Harewood is looming and 'sanctions' were issued last year. Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:52pm »

No way is this "old one"  scorpio i mean  Huhwill attempt to get to Harewood, probably get lost anyway
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 6th, 2008, 8:07pm »

Checked all 4 sensors  got reading of about 1100 so seem ok, did obd again tonight comes up wit C3551 nd   C2550 nd   B1571 nd, any ideasHuh
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: May 6th, 2008, 8:22pm »

1100 ohms sounds good for the coils, was that checked from the main multiplug or each sensor? If there's a break or short somewhere in the loom, you wouldn't know unless you tested them from the plug at the ABS module.

Can't help with the fault codes, a look on Google might tell you something or one of the other guys should be along who knows what the codes are.

Is the ABS lamp on ALL the time with the ignition or just when you move off etc?  

Don't remember ever seeing trouble codes listed on the site Huh
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 6th, 2008, 8:34pm »

Light is on all the time, never goes out, test weas done on each sensor sepertately, dont know how to test  module, tried taking plug out and poking around but got no readings at all
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: May 6th, 2008, 8:43pm »

ABS units varied a bit but if you can get to the plug ok and you can find the pinout somewhere it should be fairly easy to test the sensors from there, you really need to test it from there to know you've got an unbroken connection from module to sensor, if there's a break in the middle somewhere it would show then.

I'll have a scout around the site and see if I can find the pin info, not sure if it's on there. What year is the car? Any idea whether it's got the early or later model of ABS?

EDIT: If it's anything like mine you'll need thin probes in your multimeter to get to the connectors, otherwise a couple of 1" lengths of single core copper wire should do the trick.
IP Logged

gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 6th, 2008, 9:17pm »

Thanks for your patience  |Tiberius, pump says 96gg on it car is dec 96 ultima 2.3, pleug comes off easy, tried poking probes in various holes but no response
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 6th, 2008, 9:34pm »

hi there

the abs problem might be this.... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abscontrollerrepair.htm

hth
IP Logged
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: May 6th, 2008, 9:49pm »

Thanks Scorpio man , i think that will be last resort when everything else fails
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 7th, 2008, 11:32am »

on May 6th, 2008, 8:07pm, gost wrote:
Checked all 4 sensors  got reading of about 1100 so seem ok, did obd again tonight comes up wit C3551 nd   C2550 nd   B1571 nd, any ideasHuh

I think the only ABS codes I've seen begin with C1 (C1XXX)
What reader are you using? The Alex Peper one usually tells you what the code means. (Although presumably nd is non defined)
C0XXX & C3XXX should be generic
C1XXX & C2XXX should be manufacturer specific
The only B code I’ve seen was B1676 (BPVOOR – Battery pack voltage out of range) so assuming B stands for battery, possibly a bad connection giving a supply problem.
Have you cleared the codes? So you know you’re only looking at relevant codes?
It’s useful to know which ABS version you have as the advice is slightly different with regard to the tests.
Have you followed the page http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm and cleaned the sensors/sensor rings etc?
If you click on the diagram at the top right of that page the pump shown is the MK 1V
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: May 7th, 2008, 12:45pm »

Aren't B codes body codes or something? Just got something in the back of my mind like this, something about codes relating to immobiliser or PATS Huh.

My first hunch would still be to test the circuits at the main plug, finding an open circuit to a sensor there could save you a lot of grief trying to find fault codes and things later on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.