Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« steering rack removal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   steering rack removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: steering rack removal  (Read 342 times)
jabbacar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

steering rack removal
« on: May 9th, 2008, 8:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have within the past few days removed the steering rack on a 96 2 ltr scorpio, "ok looks pretty straightforward me thinks"
Split the t/r/ends,undo mounting bolts and drag link,disconnect fluid pipes,right pull rack through to n/side wheel,  No way!!
Try as I might,one way then the other, I just couldnt get enough clearance to free the rack,
Forward movement was obstructed by a 3 inch wide bracket with a heavy steel plate on top,
What usefull purpose does this lump of crap serve apart for causing this obvious frustration?
I pondered this puzzle for some time,Sump protection?support for splash cover?In the end I killed it with a 9" angle grinder and the rack fell to the floor.
Please feel free to quote  standard instructions(no doubt involving the strip down of the front suspension)
for rack removal
Your thoughts appreciated,  Kev.
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: steering rack removal
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2008, 8:44pm »

It will come out without a grinder Wink I found that lifting the engine up a tag helped! Twist as you pull  it out!

Dave
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:27pm »

I have just changed mine  i removed the front anti roll bar and just wiggled it out the front
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2008, 10:29pm »

I think that there are minor differences with various build dates or models. I and others have come across this 'lump of metal' which, as you say , seems to serve no useful purpose other than to frustrate the removal of the rack and require the removal of the anti roll bar in order to achieve it.  Wink. Johnnycab has done his so many times he just whistles and the thing releases itself!!.  Grin Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2008, 2:13am »

ROFL ROFL ....nice one Mike  Grin

Did you know, I keep a spare steering rack & a couple of spanners in the boot, just incase I need to do a quick roadside steering rack replacement  ROFL

About this metal lump though....my facelift doesn't have one, so the rack, once unbolted, just drops to the floor. I don't see the need for this lump of metal & can't see it serves any purpose, so cutting it off is probably a good idea  Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2008, 7:11pm »

jabbacar.
I reckon you did the right thing killing that lump ! I've changed racks on some of my funeral fleet in the past and have never encountered the offensive article,in fact I am always grateful how easy the job is when compared with other makes and indeed earlier Fords.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.