Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:14pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No Ignition Lights - Wont Start -Plenty Batt Power »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   No Ignition Lights - Wont Start -Plenty Batt Power
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No Ignition Lights - Wont Start -Plenty Batt Power  (Read 1719 times)
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

No Ignition Lights - Wont Start -Plenty Batt Power
« on: May 18th, 2008, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys
 Scorpio 2.5 TD  jumped in this morning turned the key no dash lights no starter except clicking relay in glovebox.

Horn + lights works even fob locks/unlocks doors etc

When pressing release button on auto shift lever - buzzer sounds !!

Have swapped over R11 relay no joy

Any ideas please as i'm goosed if it wont go !! Embarassed Cry
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: No Ignition Lights - Wont Start -Plenty Batt P
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:09pm »

Hi.

Firstly, are you sure the battery is ok? If it was failing it might still have good voltage at low current (central locking etc) but get a huge voltage drop when it's asked for the high current to start the engine.

Do you have a voltmeter you could put accross the battery terminals when you try to start? There's also a way to get the battery voltage reading on the dash that one of the guys should be able to tell you about but I trust a proper voltmeter more.

Other than that you need to check the battery terminals are secure, there's also some common issues with the fusebox multiplugs becoming loose and cutting some circuits.

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:24pm »

Hi Thanks for the reply i dont think the battery is at fault as it has been working perfectly starting etc till this morning.  

Headlights/horn everything bar flashers working.
All relays clicking when moving key to start posistion
but still no dash illumination or starting

Buzzer sounding on gear lever was drivers door open
Doh!!
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:52pm »

when you say you can hear a 'clicking', is that when you turn the key? if so thats a tell tale sign of low voltage/current. it is often as tiberius said a loose terminal connection on the battery which will allow the voltage for things like locks etc but not the current for starting.
you can quickly check the battery voltage by holding in the odometer trip button for a few seconds (might be 5) this will give a 'bleep' then service information appears in the odo display, press the button to go through the different info, near the end it gives the battery voltage, anything less than 12.5 volts possibly 12 volts may not be enough.
i would do this first and if the voltage is good enough then check the terminals.

i take it you do have a battery cover?
IP Logged

curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2008, 10:09pm »

Hi Taliban the clicking is the relays not the starter solonoid when key is turned to start pos
Yes it does have its battery cover
And there is no odometer display either
have checked pos term will check  earths tommorow
IP Logged
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 18th, 2008, 10:38pm »

Hi surely the ignition / doors open diagnostic lights + odometer display on the dashboard should illuminate even if the battery is in a poor state. I can put full beam h/lights and operate horn at the same time but still no dash information?
IP Logged
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2008, 9:57am »

Update :
Hi all turned alarm off this morning turned  ign on hey presto dash lights.

Went to odometer to check voltage 11.5v

Car started a little bit sluggish and charge rate is between 14.2 - 14.5v is this o/k ?

I am going to put a new battery on it today and check voltage readings over next few days.

thanks for your input guys

Any other views on this welcome...cheers Curly
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2008, 11:32am »

The charge rate from the alternator of 14.2 - 14.5 is fine, just what it should be  Wink

11.5 volts is a little low for the battery, so it sounds as if the battery is at fault here & not holding the charge from the alternator  Smiley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2008, 4:55pm »

Hmm, as Jon said, voltage on charge sounds right so your alternator is working ok. But batt voltage is low, should be just over 12v normally.

Still sounds like possible fusebox connector to me, if all the lights just started working again for no reason, this can happen if some of the pins on the multiplug keep making/breaking contact...plenty in the forums about this, someone else should be able to tell you more.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2008, 6:42pm »

Hi Guys
Put a new battery on and its charged to 12.8v will check what it reads in the morning after alarm has been set and runs all night.

By the way whats happening now, sometimes when i turn the key the dials go to max then back again then i start it.

Whats causing this any ideas..thanks again for all your input...cheers
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:17pm »

on the petrol model when the dials go round it is a sure sign that the battery is duff, did you check the first battery was the correct size for the car and is the new battery the correct one, it is a common thing to find the former owner has put the wrong size battery on these cars to save money Shocked
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:28pm »

Yeah, flicking dials is a symptom of low voltage. Could just be that although the battery is new it's not fully charged, it sometimes needs a few miles drive to settle down.

Give the car a run and see how it goes, with luck you've sorted it Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:37pm »

thanks guys its a 099 battery heavy duty should be o/k for the 2.5td its bigger than a transit battery!! will keep under observation and post again.... Cool Roll Eyes
IP Logged
curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Update
« Reply #13 on: May 31st, 2008, 1:25pm »

Got in car 2 days ago no dash lights or starting again.
Took off neg batt terminal and refitted 2mins later all dash lights appeared and car started....as though something reset.
Everything o/k till today.
Driving home lost all dash indicators speedo/rev counter etc .....no indicators but horn still worked kept running till  i got home and turned engine off.
No dash lights starting etc as previous posts.
Even if batt term reconnected same problem.
Its Driving me nuts!!!  Please help !!! Huh Huh
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 31st, 2008, 5:37pm »

Have you made sure the small lead on the battery neg terminal is on nice & tight ?  Smiley

Failing that, then as was previously suggested, is the fusebox connector properly located ? ....

.....Or maybe, seeing as we've had so much rain recently, then water has got into the fusebox  Undecided

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: May 31st, 2008, 6:03pm »

Fusebox connectors and water in the fuseboxes themselves. A lot of rain lately and it gets into places it shouldn't.

Get a can of WD40 and douse every connector you can find and reassemble. The best thing is switch cleaner and then to pack the connectors with dielectric grease but WD40 is better than nothing.

Lots on the fusebox connectors if you do a search. 95% chance it'll cure your problem.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

curly

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 31st, 2008, 6:40pm »

Hi Jonny And Bruce
 Yes Small lead is o/k and nice and tight.
Dry as a bone inside fuse boxes
Unclipped lead from front of O/S box nice and dry/clean no corrosion.
How do you disconnect fuse box by battery?
To be honest hardly any rain here in l/pool all week !!
so nothing soaked....thanks
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 12:14am »

Hi Curly.

From your fault, something's either being short circuited or losing voltage. This means either loom being shorted against body (unlikely with no blown fuses), water getting in somewhere it shouldn't or multiplug contacts not making and cutting circuits out.

These electrics are sensitive, even if a connector looks ok to the naked eye doesn't mean it's good enough to transmit small signal voltages, dirty connector means voltage drop which will drive the signal circuits mad. Find the location of the main multiplugs, unplug them, douse both halves in WD40 then plug/unplug them several times to help scrape any corrosion from the contacts.

As for where to find the multiplugs, look here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fusebox.htm

Find the big connector in the first pic, unplug it and give it the WD40 treatment, see if your fault improves.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 7:40am »

When you do as Bruce says make sure the big connector goes back correctly!!. There are two 'lugs' into which you MUST locate the connector correctly BEFORE you push it home. It WILL go back BUT one row of pins 'out' and that will cause other faults. There is a saying here .... 'if it goes on easily the first time it 'aint right'!.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
keitho

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jun 3rd, 2008, 9:38am »

Try checking the connections at the PCM. This lives under the dash behind the glovebox. The glovebox can be easily removed by pushing in the lugs at the side and removing the two arms....the box then just pulls out. You can then see the PCM in all its glory!
Check for any corrosion on pins and leave the glovebox out for easy access. Next time the problem occurs you could try moving the connector slightly as if it then works you've found the problem. Unlikely to be a fuse but 16 and 17 in the main fusebox control the electronics
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.