Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Power saver circuit query?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Power saver circuit query??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Power saver circuit query??  (Read 658 times)
mijfife

View Profile Email

Power saver circuit query??
« on: Jun 6th, 2008, 3:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
    I've been having a problem with the TD flattening it's battery if it sits a couple of days and finally got around to checking it out today. I put an ammeter in between the positive battery terminal and the battery which showed a l current draw. I started pulling fuses and the one that made a significant difference was fuse 36 on the batter side fuse box - power saver. Pulling the relay (R16 power saver) had the same affect.  
I noticed when I took the relay out that there was a bit of wire deliberately shorting out two terminals, no 37 and the one immediately to the left of it when looking from the bottom of the relay.
The car still starts okay without this bodged wiring and with a replacement relay, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why it is there.  
Could someone tell me the purpose of the power saver circuit and shed any light on why the terminals on the relay would have been bridged like this? I'll leave the wire off but carry a spare relay and the bit of wire, just in case     Wink
Hopefully the battery won't drain down now either!

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Power saver circuit query??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2008, 3:14pm »

hi there

the power saver provides all the timed functions on the car, afaik. stuff like lights, wipers, radio, etc. it shuts down the interior lights after 20mins, the radio after 1 hour.

you could try leaving a door open for 20 mins and see if the lights goes out.

sometimes changing the ccu fixes some issues with the circuit (maybe dampness has got inside it?).

why you have a bit of wire in it.who knows?  Huh
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2008, 4:09pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Scorpio_man  Smiley I've just noticed that without the bit of wire bridging the two terminals on the relay, the interior lights don't work at all!  
What is the ccu you mention and where about is it in the car? I've got all the boxes from the spares car so I could change it over and see if it fixes the problem.  

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2008, 4:37pm »

hi jim

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/electrical/intbasic/CentralContModul e.pdf

hth
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2008, 9:21pm »

A common problem is for the glove box light switch not to open as it should when the lid is shut, the lid doesn't quite push the switches button in far enough. Now if the power saver relay has been linked out and the glove box light stays on, that would flatten your battery.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 5:21pm »

I changed the central control unit today as Scorpio_man suggested but the interior lights will still only work if the two terminals are bridged on the power saver relay  Sad I also changed the battery side fuse box to fix a problem with power supply to the aircon compressor (which is now working brilliantly   Smiley) but this didn't make any difference to the initial problem.  
Has anyone any other ideas where the fault in the power saver circuit might be as I'd really like to get rid of the bridge as it flattens the battery after a couple of days!
Cheers, Jim
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.