Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:42pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« new scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   new scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new scorpio  (Read 563 times)
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

new scorpio
« on: Jun 30th, 2008, 6:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hiya forum  
im so glad to become a member of such a prestigious forum.where to start?ive just bought another scorpio on saturday which after spotting on e-bay meant a trip from belfast over to coventry to retrieve the car.i was a bit dubious because it could have been costly with flights,ferry etc never mind fuel.but thankfully it was half decent even the rear wheel arches where solid.it was a1998 2.3 Ultima manual saloon neveau red in colour with 98000.i got most of the buyers guide of your website because my previous cars were 1989,1991 2.0gl granadas and a 1994 granada scorpio all great cars but it was the last 1 that started my adoration for these beauties.the car ive bought was registered as 1998 but has 1997 codes on vin plate(guide)and has 1997 styling at front.the car was going great driving through built up area until i opened her up onto motorway.just after50mph the car started to hold back.once you took your foot of the accelerator and eased it back on it accelerated perfect it also happened around 70 as well.i started to panic because it was a long drive to holyhead,but nursing it like that it drove perfect even reaching 100mph with ease oops.also i hit a great big pothole driving through dublin a now have a rattle from the front over rough surfaces.i would just like to put these questions to the forum im sure someone will put me on the right tracks.
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: new scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 12:00am »

Hi & welcome

Could be several things, but my first thought was a coil pack as they can break down under load, but given the rattle that appeared maybe the cat's breaking up & causing a blockage. Try giving it a tap to see if it rattles.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 12:25am »

Welcome to the board.
 Are there many Scorps on the road  in Ireland ?  

After your  pothole incident  I'd  check   the wishbone bottom ball joint and rear bushe,  anti-roll bar bush and   linkage.

All  these problems are extensively covered somewhere  on this site.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 6:40am »

Welcome. Try reading through the links HERE.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 10:03am »

If it's a constant rattle over rough surfaces then it could be a loose brake caliper or broken brake pad anti rattle clip  Smiley

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:35am »

thanks lads,but ive just discovered that the previous owner hasnt left the key for opening the closing plate for the wheel nuts.gonna have to make a template of the hole pitch and hopefully make one.maybe someone out there knows another way,if any to get the little screw loose on the clossing plate or are they all specific to that car.until i get one or make one ill not be able to investigate the problem.
thanks again lads.
PS there doesnt seem to be many scorps over here.maybe theyre garaged.
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:11am »

big_timer.
I think the wheel keys are all the same,it's not long ago that someone was on here with the same problem,but another member fixed him up with one.Keep your fingers crossed !
      GOZZ
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 4:58pm »

thanks gozz
i got 1 of the covers off with circlip pliers only to find a locknut that needs a special socket bah!anyone got a spare one?
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:53pm »

big_timer.
The nut keys are all different,either chase the previous owner,(have you searched every nook and cranny ?) or get a new set of locking nuts(4).You will be able to get the old ones off if you find someone with a removal tool,either a thief,a repair garage or the RAC !
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
adzst24

OH NO! Im sure this bit goes back somewhere ?

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 8:39pm »

Hi big_timer and welcome

If you have not found the rattle yet i had similar on a mondeo mine turned out to be a large pebble on the splash panel under the engine which had come loose when i hit the hole it must have been jammed up in some part and come loose on impact.
that is if your car has a splash panel fitted under the engine that is Wink
hope its of some help
regards
Adzs...
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 9:08pm »

The locking wheel nut has a code on the outside edge which you might be able to read. If so you can get a new locking wheel nut key from a FMD
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 9:10pm »

thanks again lads
chiselled the locknuts off,and put normal ones back on.i made a tool for taking off wheel cover(works a treat).i had the wheel off and had a good lever about.seems to be a bit of play at the rear wishbone bushes(one below half lap clamp)my local ford dealer has quoted me £3.00 for the bushes so i am gonna replace them and drop(local motor factors (£15 each.not bad)i know theyre not makers parts but they quoted £47+vat.they seem handy enough to replace but any handy tips or knowhow would be welcome.
also looking under the car i found that the catalytic had a shield that had totally disintegrated so i pulled that off.could anyone tell me if this was right or do they have to be replaced?
thanks again lads.i really love this car
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 11:43pm »

Make sure the factor isn’t getting Granada ones.
The bushes need to go on the right way round & the right way up. Study them carefully should be obvious. There are some mouldings in the rubber that line up with the clamp.
Don’t tighten the centre bolt until it’s on the ground or they’ll not last long.
My car doesn’t have the shield on the cat, doesn’t seem to matter.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.