Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 3:33pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Idle, 2.9 Ultima Saloon »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Idle, 2.9 Ultima Saloon
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Idle, 2.9 Ultima Saloon  (Read 426 times)
haitch

I'm a YaBB newbie! & OAP

View Profile

Idle, 2.9 Ultima Saloon
« on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Still have problems,Replaced the IACV with one from a fellow member,this was worse no idle at all just 0.
Cleaned and replaced my old one and disconnected the battery to reset defaults,This was much better even after a long run,Problem is while engine is under load all seems okay untill moving to P or N then idle surges up and down, 800 1000 .Also I seem to have bad fuel milage average 17.8 Motorway trip never over 70mph.
Also to crown it all i,ve lost my cruise control,push the buttons nothing happens,
Not having much luck,
Thanks Angry
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Idle
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:07pm »

Re the cruise control. Before doing anything else check that in 'playing' with the IACV you haven't disturbed the cable from the actual throttle mechanism. It has an element of slack in it and it can just get dislodged from the actuating arm.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Idle
« Reply #2 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 4:16am »

17.8 mpg on a run  Shocked.....what engine do you have ?....that's bad even for a cossie  Sad

Sounds like you really do need to get a scan before you go any further as something is deffinately wrong somewhere  Sad

If the mpg is really that high then it's obviously running way too rich......first thoughts are check the plugs. If they are black with soot then it will confirm the rich mixture. Is the air filter totally clogged up causing restricted air flow ?
IP Logged
haitch

I'm a YaBB newbie! & OAP

View Profile

Re: Idle, 2.9 Ultima Saloon
« Reply #3 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 9:11am »

Thanks for the info.In my ignorance what is this scan and where will I get it done(Been overseas for 20yrs am out of touch) Angry
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 4:43pm »

First of all is the car a 2.9 24v Cosworth or is it a 2.9 12v ?. This is important because the 12v has a different diagnostic system. The 'scan' refers to connecting up a laptop computer to the diagnostic socket and reading off the data. There is some info HERE which may help. Also click on the links on the left of the page for more detail. You may be lucky and find a member who has the kit nearby who would run a scan for you.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
haitch

I'm a YaBB newbie! & OAP

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 6:22pm »

Its a 2.9 12v,went to the [/color]Blue[color=Black]link to confusing
Thanks
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 9:47pm »

As it is the 2.9 12v the fault codes can be read with a 'Star reader' which is detailed Here.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 11:23pm »

haitch.
As jonnycab says,the quickest way to find the problem is a scan,if you have a decent diagnostic man nearby he should be able to get you a reading,although the 12v has the unusual combination of EEC IV electronic control unit with a 16 pin socket(of which only 4 pins are used) in the roof of the little storage box near your right knee (RHD).The most common failures on the 12v are the manifold actual pressur sensor (or it's vacuum supply) a black plastic unit mounted on the N/S inner wing panel,the exhaust oxygen sensors(2) mounted in both front pipes,or the throttle potentiometer at the front of the engine below the idle air bypass valve,on the end of the throttle butterfly shaft.Theworst problem of all is the engine wiring loom,though deteroration of that usually causes intermittent total engine failure due to loss of signal to the ECU.
       Keep tryin GOZZ
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.