Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear brake caliper »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Rear brake caliper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear brake caliper  (Read 649 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Rear brake caliper
« on: Jul 11th, 2008, 2:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Finally got 'round to sorting out a couple of faults with the wifes new Scorp today.  

One was that the handbrake seemed a bit floppy & didn't hold all that well, but considering it had only just had a new MOT 2 months previous & only done 1000 miles since, then I thought maybe the cable just needed a little adjustment  Undecided

Looks as though I was wrong  Roll Eyes......the N/S handbrake mechanism on the caliper is seized solid. It took half a can of WD40 & a hammer to even get it to move, so it's obviously been like this for a while, a lot longer than 2 months I reckon, & on a car that has just passed a main dealer MOT  Huh

Anyway, the piston is still working fine as the brake works from the foot brake & the piston can be wound back.....so the question is.....

.....Can just the handbrake mechanism be replaced ?.....or is it a case of having to replace the caliper ?  Smiley
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

Re: Rear brake caliper
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 3:10am »

hi johnny
i had the same problem with my last granada scorpio,(i think theyre the same)the cam had worn on the rear caliper so the handbrake wasnt holding.i thought that i would have to buy new calipers but i found out that my local motor factors supplied recon ones.the deal was that they cost £80 but when you brought back the old worn one they gave you back £30.the caliper was an original ford part that was shot blasted,painted and had a brand new mechanism fitted.so im sure that somewhere out there there is a replacement kit to refurbish the caliper.
i hope this helps
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 3:17am »

me again johnny
just cheked *bay and there seems to be a supplier called BIGGRED4U who supplies rear kits and calipers
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 3:36am »

Thanks for the advice mate, I'll have to ring my local motor factors in the morning & see if I have a recon. But seeing as I've got to fix the brake quick (car used everyday), then a quick trip to the breakers to source a working S/H one might be my best option  Smiley

After that I can strip down the old caliper at my leisure & refurbish it  Wink
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 7:39am »

Jon. This is a regular issue as I'm sure you know. I found with mine that the answer was to undo the bolt which secures the actuating arm and lift the arm so that you can lubricate the shaft. If the bolt comes right out then you can remove the arm etc. I understand that this does not release any hydraulic fluid but have not 'proved' the point. The return spring will go back on albeit with a bit of a struggle. If you do do a rebuild it would be great to have some pics and possibly a 'write up' for the site.  Another JC one for the archives!!. Cheesy. Good luck, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 9:33am »

Got my Sierra calipers (for the Westfield) reconditioned and electroplated by Big Red - the ebay shop is the same guy.

You can see one of the calipers in the bottom right hand corner of this photo:-  

Can't fault them @ £80 a pair - web link:-

http://www.biggred.co.uk/

EDIT:

Found a better photo

IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 6:22pm »

Thanks for the advice guys.....tried Simmos way (to save a few quid). Managed to lift the mechanism about half an inch out of the caliper, but couldn't get it out any further. Anyway, cleaned up what I could see & lubricated it & it seems to have done the trick for now Cheesy

How long it will last is anyones guess, so might get another one anyway to keep as a spare  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 9:32pm »

Glad to have helped Jon, I think the problem with Autos'is that people do not use the handbrake. Even on my manual I need to do it regularly and certainly before the mot.  12 months ago it only just passed but this year I gave it a good sort out before it went in and all was well. I found that releasing the bolt a bit, raising the arm and soaking it with WD40 and then using a stilson wrench to work the arm back and forwards did the trick. The stilson seems to grab the actuating arm better that any other tool and provides great leverage.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 7:51am »

When I had mine  Angry I used to lubricate the handbrake mechanism every month or so with freeing oil ( duck oil ) and then used spray grease on it, NEVER had a problem with it  in 140k miles and hopefully its still going strong . the new owner hasn;t identified himself on here yet although I did point them in the right direction ( horse, water and lead seem to spring to mind )
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 10:44am »

Good tip Dave  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.