Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« front wishbones »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   front wishbones
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: front wishbones  (Read 479 times)
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

front wishbones
« on: Jul 16th, 2008, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hiya lads
just changed front wishbone rear bushes to see if that would cure a gaunching sound from the front.went off and on no problem.(even tighten them up with the weight of the car back on them).but that doesnt seem to have cured it.now im gonna try the front ones.could anyone give me any pointers to look out for in assembly and dismantling of the bushes.i was thinking of buying(*bay)poly bushes that are split-mark lewis racing seem to supply them.has anyone fitted these before.i know there was a previous posting about poly bushes and wonder if they are any good?
atb
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
grandadman

This is what I need ;)

View Profile

Re: front wishbones
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 1:05pm »

Hi there,

This may help...I found this in the Granada site of which I was an active member...
here's a link which describes it all - albeit they're talking about a ford sierra - but the principle's the same:
http://www.crustworld.co.uk/sierra/handling2.html

This also; http://home.btconnect.com/davidgeraldtvr/
hth
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 4:32pm »

Hi try this I had exactly the same, the front suspension coil springs wear at there base and come in contact with metal. jack the car up and apply thick grease to the affected area, hey presto noise vanished I found this noise more apparant in dry hot weather but it took me ages to source the cause if I remember rightly it was advice from this forum that put me on the right track, hope it works for you.

kenboy
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 1:24am »

Not wishing to be a party pooper  Roll Eyes...... but you may be wasting your time replacing the front bushes  Undecided

Reason being, if the wishbone has been on there for many years & the front bushes have worn out/split etc, then chances are the ball joint may also be pretty well worn & may not have much longer to go before it fails....& if the ball joint fails, then you'd have to replace the whole wishbone  Wink

It's just a thought  Smiley
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 7:19am »

how much are they?i suppose you would have to change both at the same time.do you know if any one makes pattern parts or is it back to ford.
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 8:44am »

Ford part only, idea of price here – although you should be able to order without the bushes that you have already fitted:

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/scorpio_suspension_264/
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 8:55am »

thanks tompion.
but what about the bottom ball joints?do they not come pressed into the wishbone or are you able to buy them and press them in yourself.i have got access to a fly press,so it would be no probs(hopefully)
atb
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 9:17am »

I cannot recal anyone being able to source replacement Ball joints for the bottom wishbones on the scorpio. The only solution seems to be to purchase a complete wishbone ( complete) . Others may have been able to source, and fit them, but I personally have NOT heard of anyone .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 9:15pm »

big_timer.
The last wishbone I bought was £98,it came with the front bush,but not the rear one.I made fairly strenuous efforts to find a pattern part,but none surfaced.As the lads say, the ball joint is part of the unit.Regarding the graunching sound,I mentioned on here before, how I replaced just about everything on the offside front,to no avail,and when the track rod end was seperated from the track control arm,and the track rod moved slightly,the noise appeared.The inner ball joint in the rack was greased after sliding the gaiter back,given a good waggling,and the cure was effected.
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 11:00pm »

thanks lads  
im gonna give the front suspension a good levering tomorrow.everything will be shook and levered AND greased.i will let you know of my findings tomorrow. Grin

atb
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.