Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Gear box advice »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Gear box advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gear box advice  (Read 511 times)
simonsp

We look alike

View Profile

Gear box advice
« on: Jul 31st, 2008, 7:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 2.9l v6 12v scorp with an auto box. I checked the fluid the other day and it was brown and I didn't like the smell. The gearbox does drive ok there is a delay between park and reverse, and drive and reverse. All the forward gears are fine and if you engage any position to drive there is literally a 1 second delay. So, I am in two minds whether to change it. I have all the tools but not a 4 poster ramp. I have axle stands, can I still do the job or do I need the car to be higher? Do tou also think it is a good idea to change the prop doughnut and rear engine seal whilst I am there?

Cheers Simon
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Gear box advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2008, 11:33am »

If the fluid smells like burnt toffee and has bits in it then that is not good news  Sad

How many miles has the gearbox done ?

You can change the fluid using ramps and axle stands but be aware is will be messy Shocked

New gasket, filter and 'O' rings required as well as fluid.

If gearbox is terminal, recon will not be cheap - if you can change it yourself then it may be worth getting a second-hand gearbox - less than £100 should get you a good used one. Check fluid is a good colour ( red / pink ) and make sure you get one from a 12v car. Think the gearbox is the same as on the earlier Granada / Scorpio range.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
simonsp

We look alike

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:57am »

Any advice on changing a whole gearbox with axle stands only?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:41pm »

simonsp.  
You really need a cradle to fit on a trolley jack to obviate the likelihood of you wearing the box,they are quite heavy!If you dont take steps to keep the back of the engine down when removing the box,or after removing it,you may not be able to get it back in owing to the engine resuming it's normal position.When refitting,make sure that the torque converter is pushed fully home,you can get a fair idea of this by measuring the distance between the bell housing flange and the back of the flywheel,then compare it with the distance between the edge of the bell housing and bolt holes in the converter.
Of course the easy way to do it is to go to your local small friendly garage and get a quote for changing it.
         GOZZ
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 4:55pm »

Not sure about how much one of these auto gearboxs weighs but have to agree about getting a garage to do it as they will have the proper equipment to do it.

Last time I had a gearbox out was on my Sierra - 15 yrs ago - and that was pretty heavy, not sure I would want to do it again !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.