Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:25am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Air Bag Light - help please »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Air Bag Light - help please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air Bag Light - help please  (Read 1723 times)
kev2scorps

View Profile

Air Bag Light - help please
« on: Aug 5th, 2008, 11:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

1997 2.0L 8V Ghia Estate & 1997 2.3 16v Ghia Saloon, both cars have drivers and passengers airbags.

Same problem, both cars.

The air bag light comes on intermittently when driving, sometimes flickers, sometimes stays on for miles, sometimes goes off after a few seconds.  The light will often come on when I hit a bump on the road and then turn off when I hit the next bump.  Sometimes hitting the steering wheel will switch it off, sometimes it won't.

I have disconnected the battery, left for 1/2 an hour, disconnected the steering wheel airbag and clock spring, reconnecrted it all.  I have disconnected and reconnected connectors to seat belt pretensioners, reconnected the battery, but the same fault still persists!

Could I use OBD to interrogate the Air Bag Module?
I know that the PWM cable from Alex Pepper won't talk to it, but would the ISO or CAN version?

Any ideas please?

Thanks guys, Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Air Bag Light - help please
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5th, 2008, 12:48pm »

Mine does much the same mainly only in hot weather, there are several people on the mailing list with similar problem. Sometimes pressing on the dash makes it go out, I’ve tried checking all the connectors without success – bear in mind it could also be the tensioners for the seat belts.
I also sometimes lose the speed control light, so it may be the instrument panel or possibly the clockspring on my car.

With regard using obd, I suspect it may not be of use as the airbag light should flash a code for faults. Just as with the engine not all faults can produce a code.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/airbags.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 10:02am »

I have this problem and thought it was sorted, stripped all the wheel bits out cleaned and secured, great for a while then it comes back.  I think it is the yellow connector in the bag itself, if i bang the wheel that can turn it on/off.  thinking about taking it all down again and looking at ways of securing it.
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 11:18am »

on Aug 6th, 2008, 10:02am, Chieftain wrote:
I have this problem and thought it was sorted, stripped all the wheel bits out cleaned and secured, great for a while then it comes back.  I think it is the yellow connector in the bag itself, if i bang the wheel that can turn it on/off.  thinking about taking it all down again and looking at ways of securing it.

I found that the plug for the airbag can go on either way round, but one way when you press the horn it can lever the plug off as it can come into contact with part of the casting of the wheel.
IP Logged

matt1987

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 7:14pm »

i have this problem i just ignore it  just bang the wheel it only happens in hot weather, what we do at work is check for high resistance normally a connector thats at fault
IP Logged
kev2scorps

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 9:09pm »

Thanks lads,

it appears that I am not alone with this fault.

I have had an idea though. What about if I were to put a slight bend on the two pins of the yellow connection / airbag.  Hopefully after re-assemblying, the push fit of the connector to the air bag would be just that little bit tighter.  I will try it soon and let you know how I get on.

Keep up the good work folks,

Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
fisherman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 11:12pm »

Hi,Kev2  
 Try tightening the connectors that go to the pretensioner which is underneath the drivers seat.The movement of the seat back and forword tends to loosen the connections.
        Fisherman.
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12th, 2008, 10:08am »

on Aug 6th, 2008, 11:18am, Tompion wrote:

I found that the plug for the airbag can go on either way round, but one way when you press the horn it can lever the plug off as it can come into contact with part of the casting of the wheel.

Thanks for that Tompion, I've been having persistent problems with the airbag plug coming off when the horn is pressed, I'll try and put it on the other way!  
Incidentally, I find the horn push needs quite a press to get it to work, is this just the way it's designed or something wrong with my steering wheel? The horn assembly behind the airbag feels easy enough to press on its own

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12th, 2008, 11:49am »

I don't use the horn much, & even then not for what it's intended. Yes it is quite hard to press but easier near the spokes of the wheel, I usually wrap my fingers around a spoke & press with the ball of my hand as it's easier to adjust how long it lasts.
IP Logged

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12th, 2008, 10:46pm »

Changed the position of the plug today and so far so good, we'll see how log it lasts for............

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.